EU passaround- z wear

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very happy with the knife ,steel is something special,freaking sharp .

So here is the list of people that right now have agreed to the passaround.

I will send the knife ,then each guy will be in charge of shipping cost to the next in line .
As @HSC /// Knives already mentioned it the knife will come with a box that cannot be lost ✊✊✊✊✊

@Carl Kotte (Sweden )
@IsoJ (Finland )
@humami (Netherlands)
@riba (Netherlands)
@JayS20 (Germany)
@TB_London (UK )

Right now we are 7 in total ,if someone more want to join please can comments in here and I will change the list .

Have all great holiday and stay safe .

Cheers Matteo 😊

I look forward to the impressions of The Beige Lion. I will say, however, that I don't think the virtues of this alloy entirely lend themselves to a quick passaround. The edge retention of Z-Wear is amazing, noticeably better than SG2 IME. It should also be noted that Harbeer is great to work with should you decide to buy one.

Little update on the list

@Carl Kotte
@IsoJ
@JayS20
@humami
@minibatataman

Like @HSC /// Knives said the knife is on the way to Carl .
Few rules just to keep things straight.
The one in possession of the knife will have a week to use it and sharpen it after will have to contact the next person in line for address info and report on this trade when the package leave.

Trackable package with insurance is obligatory.

Have fun ☺️,the steel is pretty impressive, looking forward to have one of this in Sanmai 🤩🤩

Cheers Matteo

@preizzo and @HSC /// Knives the knife has arrived and looks like a million.
7D2D4C0B-DEAD-4C58-B45F-74C5315ED4F6.jpeg
807E9305-9835-43D3-99DD-493CF14FFDE8.jpeg

First of all, thanks to @HSC /// Knives and @preizzo who made this happen.
Sharpening z-wear was a humbling experience to me. First attempt was not succesful. I reached out to Harbeer to ask for his advice, and he was very generous with it. Second attempt I got the edge the way I want it to be. Time, the right choice of stones and a little extra effort did the trick.
The idea of having a knife I need to sharpen rather rarely is appealing to me. Though I’m a home user I can see a time in the future when I simply can’t or won’t sharpen as often as I do now.
I think the knife looks great, great comfortable handle, and the rough finish is cool aesthetically.
Also, the profile is sweet. I’m not a fan tall and super straight profiles - this knife was just right. Perfectly tall and perfectly curve in the right places.
As for performance I didn’t quite click with the knife. I generally like knives with heft, some taper and a convex grind. This knife is way thinner and lighter than the things I’m used to. I struggled a little with dense root veggies. It went ok, but not as smoothly as I expected it.

Given the thin spine I think I would have appreciated a knife (pretty much like this but appropriately modified) like this in the form of a suji or a killer petty. Alternatively, if there was a way to get more heft, taper and convexity, that knife would probably become my goto gyuto.

Last edited:
First of all, thanks to @HSC /// Knives and @preizzo who made this happen.
Sharpening z-wear was a humbling experience to me. First attempt was not succesful. I reached out to Harbeer to ask for his advice, and he was very generous with it. Second attempt I got the edge the way I want it to be. Time, the right choice of stones and a little extra effort did the trick.
The idea of having a knife I need to sharpen rather rarely is appealing to me. Though I’m a home user I can see a time in the future when I simply can’t or won’t sharpen as often as I do now.
I think the knife looks great, great comfortable handle, and the rough finish is cool aesthetically.
Also, the profile is sweet. I’m not a fan tall and super straight profiles - this knife was just right. Perfectly tall and perfectly curve in the right places.
As for performance I didn’t quite click with the knife. I generally like knives with heft, some taper and a convex grind. This knife is way thinner and lighter than the things I’m used to. I struggled a little with dense root veggies. It went ok, but not as smoothly as I expected it.

Given the thin spine I think I would have appreciated a knife (pretty much like this but appropriately modifierad) like this in the form of a suji or a killer petty. Alternatively, if there was a way to get more heft, taper and convexity, that knife would probably become my goto gyuto.
Amen ,tk you for sharing Carl ✊💦💦💦

Curious to what Harbeer and other Zwear users do for a sharpening regimen.. May have to grab a cigar and start a thread to that effect.

My answer has become SG500, SP1000, SG4000 on the suji and SG500, SP1000, SP2000 on gyuto. Next time I have gyuto out I'm going to try the SG4000. Not sure why but Gesshins, G2K, G4K and diamond plates didn't seem to touch it. It laughed at Jnats.

I've been using SP1k & SP2k which seems to get the job done albeit slowly. I have a SG4k but it is EdgePro size and I haven't tried it, I may have to invest in a full size SG4K. I just assumed that Z-Wear would laugh at my JNATs and never attempted it.
Definitely more work to sharpen than SG2/R2 but IME the Z-Wear edge lasts longer.

Weird, I didn't have any issues with G2K or G4K. Diamond stones do it easier though, but even gesshins did fine.

Back