Everything Isamitsu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@superworrier Just saw your comment on the wood handle of your Isamitsu in the other thread. Any issues with the handle cracking? I have heard from a few others with handle issue (e.g. hairline cracks, warping & need oiling). Mine is coming in next week and I will definitely be sealing it with tru oil first before any contact with liquid.

@superworrier Just saw your comment on the wood handle of your Isamitsu in the other thread. Any issues with the handle cracking? I have heard from a few others with handle issue (e.g. hairline cracks, warping & need oiling). Mine is coming in next week and I will definitely be sealing it with tru oil first before any contact with liquid.
I noticed it's not perfectly flush but no cracks yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it did just given how sloppy it is/ how dry the wood is. I immediately did a few coats of mineral oil + beeswax.

Came in.

It still has wabi sabi for sure but no “wabisabi”.

Handle has no gaps but looks a little messy. Wood desperately needs oil. Classic TF red on the KU. But the grind to my eye looks really good, even on the non custom finish, so it’s more or less what I wanted. A lot better than the TF I got but by no means perfect, but this is the level of wabisabi I think is somewhat acceptable (i.e. rustic but not ****).

Wish I had a chance to switch the gyuto to non hammered because those look pretty nice, but the order was more or less done by the time I asked. View attachment 219270

View attachment 219271

Here is the wheel finished petty btw

Sorry for being a thread integrity n....erd 😬
I'm going to go to reply here, I hope this doesn't offend.

Thanks so much for sharing, those look amazing and I am quite jealous. I wish I had taken a petty, too :D Is it AS or W#1?

And do you have pictures from the non-hammered finish at hand? I'd be very interested.

Unrelated: wanted to try a Chinese cleaver for a long time, and since Moritakas AS cleaver goes for 600€ here, I am thinking about asking Isamitsu about a Shirogami cleaver...

Thanks so much for sharing, those look amazing and I am quite jealous. I wish I had taken a petty, too :D Is it AS or W#1?

And do you have pictures from the non-hammered finish at hand? I'd be very interested.

Unrelated: wanted to try a Chinese cleaver for a long time, and since Moritakas AS cleaver goes for 600€ here, I am thinking about asking Isamitsu about a Shirogami cleaver...

Petty is white 1. It was so cheap I couldn’t resist

I just received my 300 suji in AS earlier this week and I’m very impressed. It feels like a sword and is an upgrade to TF in almost every way. Everything is just much more refine. I got the fine finish and bevels look very even to me. It’s properly thin BTE as well. I was worried about the handle for nothing. It’s pretty decent. No gaps or anything and comfortable to hold. Will share some pictures soon and usage feedback.

Will upload more:
405BF88F-FB47-4EF6-85DF-0493B9796692.jpeg
3FB3DA34-FCF8-4A95-A8E4-C2E4751BC086.jpeg

Very thick spin that tapers nicely:

Last edited:
I just received my 300 suji in AS earlier this week and I’m very impressed. It feels like a sword and is an upgrade to TF in almost every way. Everything is just much more refine. I got the fine finish and bevels look very even to me. It’s properly thin BTE as well. I was worried about the handle for nothing. It’s pretty decent. No gaps or anything and comfortable to hold. Will share some pictures soon and usage feedback.

Will upload more:
View attachment 220413View attachment 220414

Very thick spin that tapers nicely:

looks like a mean slicer!

That's a sweet looking nakiri! I dig the one piece handle very much.

How do you find the handle? Is the shape comfortable to hold?

Mono wood looks quite nice for this pentagonal shape handle

Ditto although my reason is more so that there isn't a cleaver on the market that really meets what I want. Decisions, decisions... Gaku quoted me 78700 yen for a W1 chuka (standard full size) and I'm on the fence about it. It'd be nice no doubt (and certainly a lot cheaper than purchasing from TF) but I bought a Hitohira Togashi Chuka for less than half of that which is mega-value.

Back