Japanese Knives Expected price raises across japan for knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was talking to So from Japan-tool about this and he mentioned it more affecting the mass makers, so those looking for katos or shigefusas might be ok. A 20% increase all at once is quite substantial imo. He was also mentioning that this is happening due to these japanese makers now choosing to focus on the western market not their local market. All in all not the best situation especially how it has been handled at least from what I have heard.

So far, it seems to be all around... small and large operations alike

I'm actually surprised hand-forged, hand-shaped and hand-sharpened knives, fitted with handmade handles, are as cheap as they are. Like a lot of artisan products, these handmade items will likely continue to increase in price, especially as the older generations involved in their manufacture now, retire. Scarcity of Wa handles (Ebony or magnolia handles have not been available on his website for many months) and availability of steel for knife production will also drive prices higher.

Just a heads up for everyone... a number of knife maker associations across japan have agreed upon price raises for products made by their members. It seems this is occurring in multiple regions, and even those outside of these associations will be raising prices. In many cases, we expect to see 20% increases (though we have been told that some will be more). We have been told that these changes will begin in the fall, but people are going about it differently. Some have already started, while others will take a bit longer. Some will be raising prices on knives ordered from that point on, while others will be raising prices on everything (including items that have already been on order, but have not yet been paid for or shipped). This is not in every single region for knife making, but we have heard this from many of them, and expect others to follow suit.

We have not seen so much of this as of yet, but we expect this to start effecting us (and everyone else) shortly.

Thanks for the heads up, JBroida. I do have a question about news like this, and news in general coming out of Japan - where would one find this news directly besides a forum like this (as great as this is)?

Thanks for the heads up, JBroida. I do have a question about news like this, and news in general coming out of Japan - where would one find this news directly besides a forum like this (as great as this is)?

probably not, as this comes to us directly from the craftsmen via e-mail or phone call

Without making a case for or against these price increases, does anyone know what antitrust legislation looks like in Japan? There's no way this would fly in the US......

Without making a case for or against these price increases, does anyone know what antitrust legislation looks like in Japan? There's no way this would fly in the US......

How so, I'm not privy to all the details of the US, but how is it that that one pharmaceutical company can raise the price of a drug 5000% "just because"; it's not like they're struggling to make ends meet, but are most likely lining their pockets

I don't see a problem with a modest increase in knife prices to account for increased material costs and trying to be able to have a decent standard of living, even if it is above inflation

The drug company example is one firm deciding to raise prices on its own. No legal biggie to the Feds. The problem would come when one or more firms colludes to raise prices together. That would be the textbook definition of price fixing and is a big no-no. Just curious about the legal picture in Japan, that's all.

I guess law of their customers' countries is just as relevant.

I know Saji increased his prices a year ago 15-20 percent, so I wonder in this collusive event if he will go ahead and follow suit and raise his prices again. Not a bad raise in the course of 1+ years. In the last 10 years there have hundreds of new brands created in this 'me too' Japanese knife craze..... I don't know how Kurosaki keeps track of the 50 brands that he makes knives for, I would venture to say that he's not doing this all by himself. If I woke up one day and decided I'd raise my fees 20 percent, I'm sure I'd lose 20-30 percent of my business overnight. Feel free to raise your prices 20 percent, it will all work out, smiths will work less and make the same money..... Store shelf swill have more stock and the proprietors will make more off each sale..... All supply and demand economics...
In the meantime, I'll be using my katos, Shigs and konosukes bought when they were affordable.

how would you feel if you started a job 10 years ago at $15 per hour and were still making $15 per hour today?

If we are talking 1970's cost of living I would be living like a prince :doublethumbsup:

My understanding that even with knives like Tojiro DP which are not had forged, there is still a lot of work on grind and finishing that is up to large extend hand made.

I wouldn't say that about Tojiro. They have the worst grinds I've ever seen on a mass produced J-knife. However, the amount of labor that goes into a Shun is impressive.

I don't know what steel prices are doing in Japan but the Chinese markets artificially drove prices up earlier this year and then the Obama administration added a tariff which collectively drove our price of steel up almost 30%.

steel is part of it... china also seems to be a large part of the rising price of buffalo horn and wood raw materials

I asked Watanabe about this and he hadn’t even heard of it, so perhaps not everybody is on board with this.

I would wonder about steel prices being that important as a factor.

Depends on the price increase in steel.

Though i do agree with your sentiment (i think). And would guess that cost of living pressures is more than likely the contributing factor.

My personal guess is that for most kitchen knives the price of the steel os around $10-$20 or less (more with some high end PM steels I suppose), so even considerable price hike would not chance the price of the knife much. I think it is a cumulation of several factors (including demand) that makes for the quoted 30% appreciation.

Back