Experience with Hitohira stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, It's a good stone. What knives are you sharpening? it's good for polishing wide bevel and single bevel like the knife you mention. if you just sharpen standard stainless etc, it's a bit too much.

Ah - I have several knives I use; Konosuke Fujiyama, Kato both Workhorse and KU. Watanabe Pro, Toyama, a few pettys with SG2 steel, etc. Mostly carbon steel clad knives.

Ah - I have several knives I use; Konosuke Fujiyama, Kato both Workhorse and KU. Watanabe Pro, Toyama, a few pettys with SG2 steel, etc. Mostly carbon steel clad knives.
Ok, what specific things are you looking for? if you're looking for edge quality? there are some stone could achieve similar results.
If your looking for a splash and go stone that feels nice and leaves a nice contrast, then this is the best stone you could get.
The 4K one is probably the best one in the series, but I haven't personally tried it. I have the 500 and 6000 and they are really good. the downside is that it dishes slightly faster that Shapton and Naniwa pro, and it soaks up a little bit of water after a long time no use. if you are using it regularly, I don't think that is a problem. Also, this stone doesn't have any crack problem unlike Naniwa or Imanishi

Ok, what specific things are you looking for? if you're looking for edge quality? there are some stone could achieve similar results.
If your looking for a splash and go stone that feels nice and leaves a nice contrast, then this is the best stone you could get.
The 4K one is probably the best one in the series, but I haven't personally tried it. I have the 500 and 6000 and they are really good. the downside is that it dishes slightly faster that Shapton and Naniwa pro, and it soaks up a little bit of water after a long time no use. if you are using it regularly, I don't think that is a problem. Also, this stone doesn't have any crack problem unlike Naniwa or Imanishi

In case of I already had Naniwa Chosera 400, 1000, 3000, 5000 and 10,000 grit.
Now, Im looking for some another whetstones set.
How about all series of Hi-series.
Are they worth for the money?

It seems like you have an adequate amount of synth stones. Why not jump to jnats?
Exactly yes, you right. Now, I also looking for JNATS.
But I need some whetstone for the low price knifes and soft steel.

Even Im looking for jnats but i really don't know about them.
Im study now about Ara-to, Naka-to and Shiage-to but I don't know much a good brand where came form(mine).

I should post in here to get the answer, i think.
or if you can recommend, it is much appreciated.

In case of I already had Naniwa Chosera 400, 1000, 3000, 5000 and 10,000 grit.
Now, Im looking for some another whetstones set.
How about all series of Hi-series.
Are they worth for the money?

What knife are you using it for? Chosera is already good enough, if you want something different, try some good traditional soaking stones for polishing wide/single bevel. it will help for Kasumi finish or go with the Hi series and play around with the mud. But there is also a JNats, which is a rabbit hole.

I should post in here to get the answer, i think.
or if you can recommend, it is much appreciated.
If you want to do a sharpening quickly, synth stones are the way to go. If you enjoy sharpening and wish to go beyond than just sharpening, go with jnats.
Start with something in between 2-3k then move the way up.

Aren't the Morihei Hishiboshi stones a sort of hybrid? A synthetics stone laced with natural stone particles. Those are the stones zizirex is talking about, right? Or did I misunderstand?

Aren't the Morihei Hishiboshi stones a sort of hybrid? A synthetics stone laced with natural stone particles. Those are the stones zizirex is talking about, right? Or did I misunderstand?
Hishiboshi is the stones that Morihei made, but the Hi series is the newest one before there are 3k and 9k that also Morihei made but not as good as Hi Series.
All Morihei stones are mixed with the natural stone but the Hi series have more pronounced of the particle of the natural stone.

Back