Experience with Pig Iron Forge?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I have been following him on Instagram and Reddit for a while, the thin cleaver he makes is totally what I've been trying to looking for, a CCK-esque grind with much better material and F&F. But there seems to be little review of his knife here and on other site. While there is a lengthy and detailed review on reddit, it mostly focus on Grind and cutting. I kind want to know more about heat treatment of his steel and other aspect before I drop some major money, did anyone has experience with his knives? Thank you!

His Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/pig_iron_forge/?hl=en
The Review I spoke of:

That PDF is bonkers. I have one of his knives and in simplest terms, it’s sharp, fun to cut with and I like looking at it. What specifically are you looking to understand with his HT since that’s a pretty ambiguous question?

My advice, if you haven’t spoken to him before, is to reach out to him. I’ve have plenty of conversations with him and he’s a really good guy who is dedicated to being a solid full time maker. I’m sure he could answer your questions since he is the one doing the heat treatment.

In summary, the knife is enjoyable to use, I appreciate his aesthetic creativity and I would buy another from him.

8AD4516F-9DB6-47A6-9EE6-EF18B9923541.jpeg

I went to Andrew with a requirement for a 10" stainless boning knife. I had a 10" Vnox that was perfect sized for a task I did a lot of - trimming side, top and bottom rounds - but retention sucked, sharpening sucked and the handle was both uncomfortable and would get slippery fast. He delivered in spades with an AEBL boner.

Very responsive to talk to, gave me a price and timeframe up front and nailed it.

I'm not a fan of the "showy" direction he's gone in but a lot of people are. I would buy again from him in a minute.

That PDF is bonkers. I have one of his knives and in simplest terms, it’s sharp, fun to cut with and I like looking at it. What specifically are you looking to understand with his HT since that’s a pretty ambiguous question?

My advice, if you haven’t spoken to him before, is to reach out to him. I’ve have plenty of conversations with him and he’s a really good guy who is dedicated to being a solid full time maker. I’m sure he could answer your questions since he is the one doing the heat treatment.

In summary, the knife is enjoyable to use, I appreciate his aesthetic creativity and I would buy another from him.

View attachment 159995
Thank you! That’s good to know. By HT I just want to know if it is up to the claimed hardness and toughness and is the hardness uniform in the whole cutting area, since I have no way to test it.

I went to Andrew with a requirement for a 10" stainless boning knife. I had a 10" Vnox that was perfect sized for a task I did a lot of - trimming side, top and bottom rounds - but retention sucked, sharpening sucked and the handle was both uncomfortable and would get slippery fast. He delivered in spades with an AEBL boner.

Very responsive to talk to, gave me a price and timeframe up front and nailed it.

I'm not a fan of the "showy" direction he's gone in but a lot of people are. I would buy again from him in a minute.
Thank you! I’m not that into fancy handle and Damascus too. But the thin cleaver he did is just so on point, it is exactly what I’m looking for.

Thank you! That’s good to know. By HT I just want to know if it is up to the claimed hardness and toughness and is the hardness uniform in the whole cutting area, since I have no way to test it.

Unfortunately I don’t have Rockwell tester to confirm such a thing. In all seriousness, I don’t know what other knives you have, but were you able to confirm the same scrupulous standards to those as well? I vaguely recall a post of his where he was redoing a blade for a customer who had requested something like a 65 or 67 HRC and it broke (I can only assume the user didn’t know what they were doing with something that brittle). I am pretty sure he offers a lifetime warranty on his work and you never did confirm if you had spoken to him yet, but I highly recommend you go straight to the source. Super nice guy. My personal opinion is that you likely won’t be disappointed if you pick up a knife from him. Good luck!

Unfortunately I don’t have Rockwell tester to confirm such a thing. In all seriousness, I don’t know what other knives you have, but were you able to confirm the same scrupulous standards to those as well? I vaguely recall a post of his where he was redoing a blade for a customer who had requested something like a 65 or 67 HRC and it broke (I can only assume the user didn’t know what they were doing with something that brittle). I am pretty sure he offers a lifetime warranty on his work and you never did confirm if you had spoken to him yet, but I highly recommend you go straight to the source. Super nice guy. My personal opinion is that you likely won’t be disappointed if you pick up a knife from him. Good luck!
Thank you! Will do

Back