Experience with Raquin knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharptools

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with his knives? MastrAndre has favorable opinions of his bunka. There's an older thread but there's not too much info.

I had a sujihiki that I sold but wish I didn't. I seem to do that a lot. I loved the knife it was one of my favorite sujihikis. Nice grind, sharpens easily, thin at the edge but not fragile. The only thing that was lacking a bit was the handle but I have no problem based on my experience recommending his work. Don't know the prices these days but the 300mm sujihiki was very reasonable.

This sounds awesome. Overall just very positive things. Handle shouldn't be an issue as I just picked up one that has one of icanhaschzbrgr's handles on it. Now it is just the waiting game...would appreciate any additional info on the knives if any. The 145sc core steel is just so interesting to me. I just couldn't resist.

My 290mm Gyuto with his Kiritsuke style profile is my favorite Salmon paring knife! Very good one! responds very good too sharpening steels of good quality (Dickoron)..

I think it is quite reactive, but not as much as japanese San Mai knives...

Greets Sebastian.

I should have gotten one when I first saw his, when there was on actually available on his website. I just asked him again and his book is closed for the time being, to catch up.

I'll be one of the first on it when it opens back up.

I have very positive opinions on the gyuto as well:

29541458bj.jpg

Here the 3rd from left.
One of my best gyutos ever. Very sharp, and an edge retention far above similar knives I own!
Bryan's knives have only one kind of problem: they are to hard to catch!

Cheers
Andre

29541458bj.jpg

Here the 3rd from left.
One of my best gyutos ever. Very sharp, and an edge retention far above similar knives I own!

Cheers
Andre

Is your Watanabe gyuto extra tall or does it come like that?

How is the food release compared to your other Knives?

How tall is that wat? And how much thinner then normal?

Brian's knife won the cutting competition at the PNW Gathering last year. It was a really nice performing blade.

29541458bj.jpg

Here the 3rd from left.

Cheers
Andre

Can't agree more, really good knife... :D

Light and fast, but with good balance and food release. handle (not from bryan) is very good, too. Cladding isn't really very reactive at all. I'd say "less than average" for a non-stainless cladding.

Regards, Iggy

Can't agree more, really good knife... :D

Light and fast, but with good balance and food release. handle (not from bryan) is very good, too. Cladding isn't really very reactive at all. I'd say "less than average" for a non-stainless cladding.

Regards, Iggy

I hate you mate [emoji7]

:whistling:

...don't worry... the knife you'll get is equally awesome.

Regarding edge retention I cannot comment yet on my raquin. But based on my experience on this steel with (4) other knives, I'd say for a pure carbon steel its as good as it gets, no less.

Of course there are steels easier to sharpen (SC125, Shiro 2 etc.) but SC145 is a really good allrounder in sharpenability, edge retention, lack of reactiveness and edge stability.

I'm really excited hearing this. My knife should be delivered today. I can't wait!

Finally! It felt like forever. Will be cooking with it tonight.
nRNd3WG.jpg
SCKQFjW.jpg

175mm x 75mm nakiri 145sc core steel

Man, he just told me his book was closed. :IMOK:

I have been on his list for a few months now - I have actually delayed the date myself. I did not know he is so booked out. I guess I need to ask what is the realistic date he can start working on mine.

I have been on his list for a few months now - I have actually delayed the date myself. I did not know he is so booked out. I guess I need to ask what is the realistic date he can start working on mine.

I think you're quite lucky to have gotten on the books...quite a few people I've talked to has had difficulty obtaining one of his knives.

Nice!!!. Can't wait to hear about it.

Will post a review later but here are some preliminary impressions. The spine and choil are both rounded and very comfortable to hold. It has some heft to it and is no laser but VERY thin behind the edge with a decently tall bevel. No wedging issues so far. It has a good amount of distal taper and is pretty thin near the tip. The profile is very flat. No accordion cuts with green onions :doublethumbsup:. Food pops off by itself once it reaches the Nashiji like finish on the top half of the blade. I am incredibly impressed so far. Wow, so happy I scored this one. If Bryan's other knives are anything like this one, I would be looking to get more of his knives. As a chinese cleaver guy, this one came out of nowhere and hit it out of the park.

hi , i am bryan.
I do not know if the admin will let me talk freely about it here... will see :D

yes, for know my "book" is closed , and i am not realy happy with that , i am working hard .. well ...in fact i just came back from vacation :D , but... yes i am working hors for re open this damn book.
I took a lot of delay, because of a lot of things .... my broken arm, shop worries etc. etc ...
i hope after this summer everything will be in place for re open the book for custom order.

And thank you all for your beautiful words about my work and thank you for your patience

( and thank you google translate :D )

Back