Exploring petty knives and shorter sujihikis

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiano

Reaction score
What country are you in? The Netherlands (EU)

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? 150-180 mm petty.

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Yes, prefer Western but not a hard demand.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 150-180mm. Looking for something capable of removing silverskin.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Prefer stainless.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 225 euro

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Removing silverskin, cleaning meat, delicate work. See video below.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? I have a 165mm Munetoshi petty.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) No preference.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Slicing, multipurpose.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Less height, stainless.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Not important.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Comfort is important.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Important.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Should be good.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) yes.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) I have stones.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
There was an earlier post with someone looking for a similar knife but he was located in the US. Looking at eg Ryusen Blazen petty, but I only see a 150mm which may be short? Don’t have a clear handle in how long the knife should be, perhaps a shorter suji 180-200 might work too? Below is the video that turned me to finding something similar. He is using this as a multipurpose petty. I will hold on to my Munetoshi, but I’d like stainless and something less tall. More like an actual petty/suji shape. But there is no rush, the Munetoshi works good too.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CaqyBCWlbDv/?utm_medium=copy_link

I would recommend an Ashi but hard to find in Western 180mm or a Misono.
The Misono has a quite pointy and sharp tip. Quite sturdy but works for such tasks well.
Misono 180

What country are you in? The Netherlands (EU)

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? 150-180 mm petty.

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Yes, prefer Western but not a hard demand.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 150-180mm. Looking for something capable of removing silverskin.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Prefer stainless.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 225 euro

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Removing silverskin, cleaning meat, delicate work. See video below.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? I have a 165mm Munetoshi petty.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) No preference.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Slicing, multipurpose.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Less height, stainless.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Not important.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Comfort is important.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Important.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Should be good.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) yes.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) I have stones.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
There was an earlier post with someone looking for a similar knife but he was located in the US. Looking at eg Ryusen Blazen petty, but I only see a 150mm which may be short? Don’t have a clear handle in how long the knife should be, perhaps a shorter suji 180-200 might work too? Below is the video that turned me to finding something similar. He is using this as a multipurpose petty. I will hold on to my Munetoshi, but I’d like stainless and something less tall. More like an actual petty/suji shape. But there is no rush, the Munetoshi works good too.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CaqyBCWlbDv/?utm_medium=copy_link
well in this case do you consider Honesuki?
Moritaka AS Honesuki 150mm

for silver skin I use and old Yaxell YO-U 120mm petty in Vg10, or a Akifusa 135mm stainless clad AS petty.
As far as small sujis, I recently got a Sukenari petty/suji 210mm in a semistainless YXR7, I really like it. Whenever I use it I think, "where were you when I was a pro and needed exactly this knife on the line during service!"

I would go for something pointy and thin with low blade height like Ashi ginga 180 or 210. More blade height like you see with small gyutos just gets in the way.

I would go for something pointy and thin with low blade height like Ashi ginga 180 or 210. More blade height like you see with small gyutos just gets in the way.
That was my feeling too, but all the Gingas are sold out at JKI. I do see a 180mm on ebay. Any strong opinion on 180 vs 150?

Any strong opinion on 180 vs 150?

Yep! 180 is the size for a petty.

Suggestion for a Wat made in other thread still stands. Here slicing Tloin for mini tacos.

20210411_160240.jpg

Hi man,

I don't do a huge deal of skinning work, but have been using some ~16cm German/French slicer or chef if not a Japanese santoku or a 13cm petty usually for those purposes. Don't have strong opinions in favor of any those styles as of now. Agree with others longer could be better to allow more general work, but small is nice sometimes..

In the future, though, I will be trying out skinning with this NOS Sab K stainless skinning knife, that I just ordered a minute ago when I did my odd checkup at the Sab K store.:

https://www.sabatier-shop.com/skinn...semelle-stainless-steel-wood-handle-idep.html
sabk_skinning_knife.jpg

Or perhaps I will be skinning with this 11 inch nogent beauty that I was actually gunning for :D. I was maybe looking for a 10 inch originally, like they have at Cooks Atelier with their over the top 230€ pricing, but yeah even better, now getting the 11 inch for 144€.

https://www.sabatier-shop.com/11-in-chef-knife-nogent-carbon.html
nogentchef11.jpg

Back