F**k onions. Let's talk tomatoes.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No seriously, we've discussed onions to death and it was all pointless tbh. Tomatoes though... I hate dicing those, but I keep having to dice large amounts of them. I usually just slice the whole thing, stack them up, and dice. How do you guys do it?

Are we talking cherrys, 5x6, heirloom? Different strokes for different tomatoes.

For most I'm slice and dice. Slice the whole thing and then dice by halves. In the states we have a tomato "shooter" gizmo that I've used when it doesn't matter what the dice looks like - sauces and what not. Works best to drop the slices in place and pull the lever. Makes a mess but will have a Cambro full in a minute.

Well you have the radial cut then you have then you the horizontal cut but the best way is.... [emoji23]

I do sort of a hybrid dice technique with seeds in. Slice 3/4 through with only the tip making contact with the board, rotate and do the same thing so there is a grid on the tomato, then fully dice.

If I'm making a couple cases of pico I quarter and seed them, then julienne what I can hold, dice and repeat.

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 12.16.23 AM.png
forget cutting, which are your favorite to eat?
mine are campari, theyre sweet, dont make your stomach hurt and dont have grainy texture.
I only hope you never get to try Sardinian tomatoes. Everything else pales in comparison. Paired with mozzarella di bufala and high quality olive oil =>pure heaven.

Last edited:
Regular tomatoes, cut in half, slice off the round part, then horizontal slice and dice

well the best tomato ive ever eaten in my life was directly taken from a vine at a pizzeria in sicily (they have their own farm behind the building)

Sounds delightful. When we grew heirlooms at the farm I work at, I would just walk around all day eating tomatoes the size of my fist like they were apples, plucked straight from the vine. Freshness is really key, but I like the texture and meatiness that most heirlooms have. Commercial variants inevitably end up being watery, fragile, grainy, or kind of just dissolve in your mouth when you eat them which makes for the worst experience eating experience.

I use at least three different styles depending on what they are for.

The simplest way, core them, slice them and dice them. (great for a salad bar or if you are making a rustic sauce, soup, or chili)

If you want a real nice brunoise then you have to just use the skins, discard everything else. (pico de gallo or a garnish in a consomme)

For tomato concasse style you have to blanche and shock, core and peel, remove seeds and pulp, and then dice. (for making traditional French sauces with tomatoes)

There are probably many other ways.

Back