WTS SOLD F.Vaz 220mm mizu-honyaki gyuto - 1 out of 3 special knives to this forum

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fvaz

Reaction score
Hey guys! This is my first selling post on this forum as the newest sponsor and i prepared something really special for the mizu-honyaki lovers! First of all, im from Brazil and feel free to take a look on my website so you can have a proper introduction to my work, style and range of materials.

For starting in this forum as sponsor, i prepared THREE very special mizu honyaki, all certified with the very best materials i have here. This is the first one im sharing with you. These three knives will be listed with a special price at first moment.

I would like to ask you to read everything carefully as i like to put a ton of details in my listing pieces.

The knife i prepared solely for the forum start up is a 220mm mizu-honyaki out of good old 1095 steel with a beautiful hamon that was taken to perfection in terms of contrast in a very complex manual process.

Actually, i took more time polishing the hamon solely than all the other steps of the making combined.

This is a blade i tried by all means to take every single detail of it to perfection. The balance of this knife is amazing, you can see in the video below:

The handle i hand picked this material from my supplier in the moment i saw. I dont know how to describe it properly, i just felt insanely attracted by the pattern of that raffir composite block, which uses a authorship mineral resin that is one of the best in the world and take an amazing surface finish (as you can see).

The handle is very complex and was really hard to make all the lines flow together and create something colorful, full of harmony and most important: functional.

We are talking about a g10+micarta inner core giving all the strength carbon fiber and raffir composite needs to work a lot with ZERO maintenance expected.

Through the entire handle there are a lot of hidden pins.

My mizu-honyaki knives are ALL certified one-by-one and this means i make videos of quenching the actual knife in water (room temperature). So, whoever buyes this knife, will get a private youtube video of this knife being quenched in water. I dont share information about my clay as i took almost 2 years finding the perfect combination & polishing process, feel free to ask any other question. I kindly ask the customer to not share the private video*

While you can see some ashi on the hamon, it was not something i was looking after in this polishing, still beautiful in my opinion.

PICTURES:

(You can also see some past posts in my imgur account of previous works done recently)

SOLD

PRICE: 800$ - Disclaimer: My mizu-honyakis runs in the 1000~1500 range mostly depending the size of blade/hamon pattern and handle configuration (i work with mammoth fossil, coral reef fossils and other exotic materials which can change the price a lot). This price is meant for the first three mizu honyakis i prepared for this forum.

Also, i dont work with paypal due paypal being really a messy here in Brazil. I take payments via Western union, this takes no more than 5 minutes to setup an account and send the funds. Can provide tons of references but you can see a lot on the customer gallery on my website.

Shipped worldwide via DHL premium + zipped pouch in the pictures included.

While im in Brazil and MOST of my customers (close to 95%) are based on US, the shipment takes no longer than 7 days to get delivered to your hands. Not a single cent of taxes on your end.

If you have enjoyed my work and want to know what materials i have available at the moment for comissions, hit me on the email mentioned on my website. I will be pleased to show you everything.

Hope you like it! Really happy with this forum and how much precious information is getting shared here.

Last edited:
Just forgot to mention:

I dont use instagram any more its been 2 years, please use my website for updated work.

The blade was sharpened to 3000 grit shapton glass (5 microns)

What are the dimensions? Also do you have a photo of the profile on a flat surface? Thanks!

What are the dimensions? Also do you have a photo of the profile on a flat surface? Thanks!

Im not sure if the picture is what you meant about profile on a flat surface, but hope it is

It has 48mm width in the choil, 220mm blade, 135mm handle (including the "neck" of the blade). First 70mm has flat edge and then a smooth curve towards the tip

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Breathtaking blade!
Im happy you enjoyed it man. Can i have some feedback from you about the handle? I confess most of the time i prefer to use traditional materials, like natural exotic woods and such. It is a new thing for me using "Modern" materials like carbon fiber and composites. Im not 100% sold on it yet in terms of beauty, in performance terms, surely to be nice materials.

Have a nice day :)

Im trying to upload a video of slicing some food and paper with this knife for a demonstration, so far no luck. Ill try to upload the video on youtube later today.

Very nice work. I visited your webpage and you have done some impressive knives. While Damascus and honyakis are well done, the one that really caught my eye was the traditional chef knife with western handle in the scale. I’ll dm you for details.

Very nice work. I visited your webpage and you have done some impressive knives. While Damascus and honyakis are well done, the one that really caught my eye was the traditional chef knife with western handle in the scale. I’ll dm you for details.
I appreciate the detailed feedback. Times to times i love to make custom designs, i can remember quite well that the knife mentioned by you was amazing. Had a cool feel of flying on hand.

Ill take a look in the dm

Hey guys! Uploading the video i tried today sooner.

A few important considerations: blade is covered in mineral oil to avoid patina or any kind of reaction to the steel since this knife is listed as available and i would hate to have to polish its hamon again, so may be more stickier than normal.

Choosed carrot and ginger because they are quite fibrous veggies and usually offers a good ammount of resistance towards smooth moves. So far very happy with it, hope you like it.

EDIT 1: This was filmed on one of my workshops, not in my kitchen. This test is harder than it looks (carrot) as the carrot is getting thinner and thinner it start to become really hard to slice it without knocking it down.

While i make kitchen knives all the time, my cutting skills are really poor lol but you can see that it can easily take a "plastic bag thin" slice of ginger.

Last edited:
Im happy you enjoyed it man. Can i have some feedback from you about the handle?
Hmmm... I may not be the best person to give feedback on this, but I will anyways :D

The thing is, I usually prefer quite simple handles that act more like a frame to the blade in pointing towards it from an aesthetical point of view. Even root wood, which is absolutely striking visually, is usually too "loud" for me. I do appreciate the appeal of going all out with something like a Cyan 3D structured handle though ;)
In that sense, I am not a prime customer for that kind of handle, but as far as synthetic handles go, this is one of the nicest I've seen. I love the structure and 3D effect, it's very tasteful. Carbon fiber bolster is unusal, I can't quite imagine how it will feel and handle in real life. I would tend to expect it more on a more modern or minimalist knife, but if's hard to judge from pictures.

Then again, its awesome if people do unusual and creative things, and you obviously do some great work. Maybe some other people are willing to say something on the matter, too.

Hmmm... I may not be the best person to give feedback on this, but I will anyways :D

The thing is, I usually prefer quite simple handles that act more like a frame to the blade in pointing towards it from an aesthetical point of view. Even root wood, which is absolutely striking visually, is usually too "loud" for me. I do appreciate the appeal of going all out with something like a Cyan 3D structured handle though ;)
In that sense, I am not a prime customer for that kind of handle, but as far as synthetic handles go, this is one of the nicest I've seen. I love the structure and 3D effect, it's very tasteful. Carbon fiber bolster is unusal, I can't quite imagine how it will feel and handle in real life. I would tend to expect it more on a more modern or minimalist knife, but if's hard to judge from pictures.

Then again, its awesome if people do unusual and creative things, and you obviously do some great work. Maybe some other people are willing to say something on the matter,

Then again, its awesome if people do unusual and creative things, and you obviously do some great work. Maybe some other people are willing to say something on the matter, too.
Thank you a lot for the feedback brother, im going to admit i prefer natural materials too and when i did this handle i wanted to create something like a dance between the traditional honyaki style with a modern handle. Did this solely for the 3D effect composite that really drawed my attention, so far it was a bit new to me. Raffir uses some minerals in their resin so it is really good to touch and warm.

It is fun but my favorite materials are kingwood and ebony, these woods just speak to me in a diff way lol.

Happy you enjoyed it

Couldnt be happier with the picture done by Brayan. Ordered this in order to post in my website main page soon.

Attachments

• 3 - WkI73aw.jpg
    3 - WkI73aw.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Have to agree. The handle is more of an art statement, although it might be skewed more towards form over function. The smooth slippery feel is one reason I avoid stabilised woods. For me the optimum handle is constructed from textured wood like bog oak, burnt oak or chestnut. But to each their own. Good luck with you knife making venture.

Last edited:
Im happy you enjoyed it man. Can i have some feedback from you about the handle? I confess most of the time i prefer to use traditional materials, like natural exotic woods and such. It is a new thing for me using "Modern" materials like carbon fiber and composites. Im not 100% sold on it yet in terms of beauty, in performance terms, surely to be nice materials.

Have a nice day :)

I personally love the handle but most on this board are traditionalists who love a plain, unstabilized wood handle for both grip and appearance.

Have to agree. The handle is more of an art statement, although it might be skewed more towards form over function. The smooth slippery feel is one reason I avoid stabilised woods. For me the optimum handle is constructed from textured wood like burnt bog oak or chestnut. But to each their own. Good luck with you knife making venture.

That is something i considered while doing this handle, by the pictures the handle may look over polished but actually it is sanded to 400 grit only and polished. You can even see some minor scratches on the facets if looking closely which are amazing to do a bit extra of grip. The carbon fiber also has a uneven surface finish if you would look with some magnifying glasses

I personally love the handle but most on this board are traditionalists who love a plain, unstabilized wood handle for both grip and appearance.

I just figured this, thats something i really appreciate on this forum because i have stacks and stacks of natural woods and i just did the 2 out of 3 mizu-honyaki with a beautiful ebony+kingwood handle. Should post it today at night.

Ironwood would be complementary and sympathetic to the blade too.

Surprised me on how difficult was to take a good picture showing the tiny scratches on the handle surface, but that should give an amazing grip and touch feeling.

A sneak peek of the next mizu honyaki i prepard solely for this forum:

Best kingwood i could find in my store room + african ebony bolster. Loved how this contrast mixes well.

While kingwood + african ebony may be more appreciated than modern handles, it also allows me to run on lower prices than handles like the one shown in the original post. The price of this mizu honyaki will be considerable lower than the first out of 3.

A sneak peek of the next mizu honyaki i prepard solely for this forum:

Best kingwood i could find in my store room + african ebony bolster. Loved how this contrast mixes well.

Lovely wood you've chosen for this one

Lovely wood you've chosen for this one

Yep, i was looking after making a matching saya out of kingwood with a ebony spacer to match the bolster, but i guess i wont have time for that right at this moment.

That may increase the price of the final knife too much for making this possible too

Just happy to share with you guys i just bought these three stabilized blocks about now. I honestly cant decide which one is my favorite, but im prone to love that purple figured one.

I buyed so many stabilized wood recently, i actually dont need it... but i guess since Brazil lost football world cup yesterday my mind had to buy this to achieve emotional stability... lol :(

Attachments

• pu1u151.jpg
    pu1u151.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Kgp
Back