Fake Ashi Honyaki Sold

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't two grand cheap for an Ashi today? Heck, a quick google search and I saw them going for $5500. I would say, that is on the buyer. Too good to be true, means it is untrue.
Not really. There have been some genuine ashi 240 going for 2700$-ish as well as some 210 for 2500$. For a rare knife I've seen at least 4 being sold since last autumn (2x 240 and 2x210). Not on BST

That is still $650 more. Again, always question a good deal.

For someone to spend 2k without doing any research, money obviously isn't their issue.

Yes. What the buyers don't really know is that they pay 2800$ for a yanagiba which the 2ndry market seller bought for 130k yen from a local store. Or some pay 1500$ for a gyuto in a paulonia box. Same knife is purchased for 60k yen ( aprox 559$) and the box (some wood and black ink) and japanese writing is about 20$ in the making. The guy who makes this possible must have made a fortune :) from guys who don't know the market value.

And I will sell my honyaki'ish to anyone interested for a blow out $1000!!!!!

“Excuse me, the hamon looks strange for Ashi.”

“I think it was a perfectly fine jamon.”

“Sorry, why are you spelling it like that? Is the hamon really from a forced patina that you made with jamon?”

“It might not be that...”

Isn't two grand cheap for an Ashi today? Heck, a quick google search and I saw them going for $5500. I would say, that is on the buyer. Too good to be true, means it is untrue.
I have seen some listed at 5500, in one case I talked to a seller and the final price was alot less. that's just once case...

Not really. There have been some genuine ashi 240 going for 2700$-ish as well as some 210 for 2500$. For a rare knife I've seen at least 4 being sold since last autumn (2x 240 and 2x210). Not on BST
Plus those were western handled which for most makers means more $$$, TF being one of the exceptions

Yes, Ashis are significantly more than 2k USD, which is probably why the buyer got duped into thinking he/she is getting a bargain and jumped on this one.

I know it's always the case that buyer should be aware and do their research; However I am hoping that by bringing issues like this to light and in discussion, more people become aware of the existence of all these new malpractices and cons. That way hopefully next time around someone comes across a 'Bargain', they'd think twice.

We definitely appreciate the PSA. And you're right, there's a lot of disinformation and dodgy sales tactics going on at the moment to trick the unwary/uneducated, with very little recourse. ALWAYS pay direct with a credit card so you can dispute item if not as described. Don't use credit card through PayPal (to pay for anything on Buyee). Forewarned is forearmed.

Last edited:
We definitely appreciate the PSA. And you're right, there's a lot of disinformation and dodgy sales tactics going on at the moment to trick the unwary/uneducated, with very little recourse. ALWAYS pay direct with a credit card so you can dispute item if not as described. Don't use credit card through PayPal. Forewarned is forearmed.
Would you explain this a bit more? PayPal offers some buyer protection, how is it different?

ALWAYS pay direct with a credit card so you can dispute item if not as described. Don't use credit card through PayPal.

My experience is that if you use my credit card through PayPal I get protection from both PayPal and my bank...
The transaction shows up on my card as the vendor, not PayPal, so the fact that I used PayPal is not relevant to my bank.

Well I had the opposite experience. Unusual for sure but that's the way it worked out. Both PP and the credit card company saying it was the others responsibility and buyee were useless, giving me the runaround. PP are a nightmare to work with tbh. I was using Citicard at that time and I dropped them after that dealing. Bottom line, not all CC companies are created equal. I've had Chase Sapphire for the past 3 years and have yet to run up against any similar problems.

I should qualify what I said earlier. Don't use CC on PP to purchase via Buyee. Buyee will not intervene if an item is misrepresented. Between buyer and the seller there are 3 entities all of whom would like to pass the buck.

Last edited:
The world is full of honest people but there are enough arseholes out there. The internet facilitates them (and maybe amplifies them).

Ebay and their ilk are basically giant anonymous garage sales. My starting principle with these platforms is: "don't spend what you cant afford to lose". You are trusting the honesty of sellers in the listing details and the photos. It can range from generous and transparent, to ignorance, to downright lies. If you feel conned, you then have to fight through the bureaucracy of faceless corporations for recourse. You can adjust your sense of risk based on the information provided and the history of the seller... but the risk is never gone. Purchases are always sight unseen.

.... For purchases >$2K... you'd better be happy gambling that amount or damned sure about what you are doing.

“Sorry, why are you spelling it like that? Is the hamon really from a forced patina that you made with jamon?”

It is true. The real Ahshe jamonyaki are made in Spain. Most people don't know that. Bids opening at $4k:

jamon-3934953_960_720.jpg

The world is full of honest people but there are enough arseholes out there. The internet facilitates them (and maybe amplifies them).

Ebay and their ilk are basically giant anonymous garage sales. My starting principle with these platforms is: "don't spend what you cant afford to lose". You are trusting the honesty of sellers in the listing details and the photos. It can range from generous and transparent, to ignorance, to downright lies. If you feel conned, you then have to fight through the bureaucracy of faceless corporations for recourse. You can adjust your sense of risk based on the information provided and the history of the seller... but the risk is never gone. Purchases are always sight unseen.

.... For purchases >$2K... you'd better be happy gambling that amount or damned sure about what you are doing.

I’ve always given full video once-overs to all my buyers with everything I’ve sold (think the Steve gamache stuff but better!) for that exact reason - to give the buyer every assurance that the blade is exactly as I’ve described it.

This is of course not possible when buying on auction or mercari, so for those expensive purchases, if unsure, assume the worst and ask for help.

I’ve always given full video once-overs to all my buyers with everything I’ve sold (think the Steve gamache stuff but better!) for that exact reason - to give the buyer every assurance that the blade is exactly as I’ve described it.

Thats mighty fine of you!

Another false listing, falsely advertising this blade as an Ashi honyaki has popped up on auction
1B8AC890-FBC9-4B6B-A1BC-408E3A26804F.jpeg

Looks like the same knife that was in the OP (the one with the extra kanji towards the tip). Diff box going by the colored dots and label

Another false listing, falsely advertising this blade as an Ashi honyaki has popped up on auction View attachment 86881

This auction finished and it seems like the seller didn’t manage to massage the final price as high as they wanted.

It has now been relisted for 200k JPY.

The attempts to con the knife enthusiasts continues....

So $1100 for a small Wa handled non-Ashi honyaki wasn't enough? Sorta suggests buyers are a bit more savvy than he'd hoped and he's not fooling most with that bogus Hiroshi Ashi attribution.

So $1100 for a small Wa handled non-Ashi honyaki wasn't enough? Sorta suggests buyers are a bit more savvy than he'd hoped and he's not fooling most with that bogus Hiroshi Ashi attribution.

Hopefully not. I really hope that no one falls into their trap

Just buy western Ashis. Problem solved!

Same knife reposted again. This time for 180K.

Well, now, that's a bargain!

Ha!

In all seriousness, Ittosai Kotetsu are a proper quality shop and what I have seen from them has been most excellent.

So if this is an actual Ittosai Kotetsu ( I have stopped blindly trusting chiseled kanji after seeing how easily one can get whatever one wishes chiseled on a blade), and it does go for a reasonable price - for me this would be say 1K USD or below - then it actually would be a decent buy

Back