Fake Japanese knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fake shun set
29443B18-7DE0-4B21-9277-BA9860551CB4.jpeg

I buy and sell Shun and Miyabi knives on eBay and saw my first set of obvious fakes listed - a set of Shun Kaji. Kaji handles only have two rivets, the blades are Damascus effect and the bolster doesn’t continue to the heel of the blade . I also collect coins and there are tons of very deceptive high dollar fakes available - some even in fake certified holders. Has anyone seen fake high end Japanese knives ? I’m not experienced enough to spot them, I’d imagine they’re out there.

This sort of thing will never stop. The only protection is to buy from a reputable seller.

Thanks for the link.
Intersting stuff...
I remember seeing a group of 3 Kato 240mm gyuto for sale on taobao for $400. At the time, I figured something was fishy but didn't think that Kato would be counterfeit... I guess I wasn't skeptical enough.
Wow didnt know Kato also have fakes, but at the same time not too surprised lol. China’s counterfeiting skill is unreal.

It is only unethical when the fakes are as expensive as the original. Fakes should be priced at %40 sale price at the minimum.

It is only unethical when the fakes are as expensive as the original.
I would disagree with that. A fake Rolex watch for $40 is still unethical because it copies the design without permission, and piggy-backs onto the fame of the product without paying royalties.

In the case of knives, that is just as true. A fake Masamoto (or whatever) doesn't advertise itself as "this is a copy of a real Masamoto" now, does it? Trademark violation aside, this is deceptive, designed to con the buyer into thinking that they bought the real thing at a good price.

How would you feel if someone used your name without your permission to sell an inferior product?

It is only unethical when the fakes are as expensive as the original. Fakes should be priced at %40 sale price at the minimum.

How is it ethical to con a buyer who thinks they're the real thing? Remind me never to do business with you. :rolleyes:

Well, one could argue ethics are part of culture, and that part of the chinese culture is to make copies in addition to many other (more flattering) cultural traits.

Just as Danish people have a culture for being a pain in the arse if one expects workers to just comply without questioning work orders and drinking excessive amounts of alchohol. :)

Funny thing is here you can buy fake globals advertised as ....... fake globals. I honestly can't spot any difference from a picture. I suppose if you have them in hand you can judge by the thickness of the edge. Cheap Chinese knives with an edge as thin as a Wusthoff's are already few and far between let alone a Global.

Funny thing is here you can buy fake globals advertised as ....... fake globals.
Well, at least you know what you are buying then. If they don't actually print "Global" on them, that’s probably entirely legal. (I don't know to what extent the design of the Global knives is protected. I suspect that there is not a lot of protection though when it comes to the shape of a knife and its handle.)

Last edited:
Almost anything you buy in Greece should be suspect counterfeit - from Ray-Ban sunglasses in souvenier shops to Tanqueray Gin in supermarkets. Everything with a brand name is most probably fake. The borders are porous and the customs enforcement is subject to bribes.

If you google for "shun kdm0006 site:.gr" you will find plenty of examples. There are sets of shuns where the handle is completely different and every model inside the set has the same "kdm0006" model number stamped onto the blade!!!

I would disagree with that. A fake Rolex watch for $40 is still unethical because it copies the design without permission, and piggy-backs onto the fame of the product without paying royalties.

In the case of knives, that is just as true. A fake Masamoto (or whatever) doesn't advertise itself as "this is a copy of a real Masamoto" now, does it? Trademark violation aside, this is deceptive, designed to con the buyer into thinking that they bought the real thing at a good price.

How would you feel if someone used your name without your permission to sell an inferior product?
A person who pays $40 for a rolex would never buy an authentic one to begin with.

Buyer beware I say. If a person were to buy a $40 knock off and actually believe it is aunthentic, then they are a fool. You get what you pay for.

Using my name and using my design are 2 different things and don't correlate. It isn't buying a fake rolex that is a problem. It is people that think it is real that is a problem.

Anyone that has issue with what I stated should stop making purchases on Amazon and cancel their Prime accounts since you are supporting one of the biggest perpetrators of product fraud.

How is it ethical to con a buyer who thinks they're the real thing? Remind me never to do business with you. :rolleyes:
It is not the sellers fault that you blindly bought a new Shigefusa Kitaeji 240 gyuto for $300 when you deep down know it doesn't add up. The peddling of fakes speaks more to the issues of capitalism where price overshadows everything else.

Almost anything you buy in Greece should be suspect counterfeit - from Ray-Ban sunglasses in souvenier shops to Tanqueray Gin in supermarkets. Everything with a brand name is most probably fake. The borders are porous and the customs enforcement is subject to bribes.

If you google for "shun kdm0006 site:.gr" you will find plenty of examples. There are sets of shuns where the handle is completely different and every model inside the set has the same "kdm0006" model number stamped onto the blade!!!
It's sad when shops do this and it is the same price as the original. Nobody should pay top dollar for fakes and knock offs. The purpose is to make a person feel like they are getting a deal.

Well, at least you know what you are buying then. If they don't actually print "Global" on them, that’s probably entirely legal. (I don't know to what extent the design of the Global knives is protected. I suspect that there is not a lot of protection though when it comes to the shape of a knife and its handle.)
Well Porsche has made Global-like knives with double the price. I saw them in some department store cutlery section, so yeah whatdaya know, a car manufacturer making knives :eek:

A person who pays $40 for a rolex would never buy an authentic one to begin with.

Buyer beware I say. If a person were to buy a $40 knock off and actually believe it is aunthentic, then they are a fool. You get what you pay for.

Using my name and using my design are 2 different things and don't correlate. It isn't buying a fake rolex that is a problem. It is people that think it is real that is a problem.

Context is everything in this assumption. Ignorance speaks to exposure while fool speaks to poor judgement and low intelligence. There are plenty of smart people in this world who simply are not aware that Rolex and Shun are elite global brands that are not otherwise accessible to them. And then again, not all people have been raised in a place where trademark protection is considered important.

Or to put it more concretely: Not all people have been reading Red Herring while drinking Makers Mark on an American Airlines flight :)

These people are not a problem, you are. Not you individually, rather collectively.

Well Porsche has made Global-like knives with double the price. I saw them in some department store cutlery section, so yeah whatdaya know, a car manufacturer making knives :eek:

Porsche has been lending it's name to high-end design for decades; they don't manufacture any of this stuff.

Porsche has been lending it's name to high-end design for decades; they don't manufacture any of this stuff.
They should just stick to making cars. Whatever the case may be, other can cars their other stuff is just too garish or avant- garden for my tastes.

They should just stick to making cars. Whatever the case may be, other can cars their other stuff is just too garish or avant- garden for my tastes.
The problem is that I can't shave with any of their cars ;)

I’m surprised there aren’t any counterfeit KS around. Probably easier to make high quality fakes of those than Shigs since they’re just stamped blades.

Back