Fancy fire pits

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a business near me that makes fire pits from the ends of large liquid propane tanks.
https://www.firepitart.com/

Those are pretty! The ones I linked advertise as having some sort of advanced airflow that cuts down on smoke, which is appealing, but idk.

Mate just get an Ooni or some other woodfired portable pizza oven

Mate not the same thing!

Out here in the west there are so many different burn bans for various reasons that it's not worth having one.

Totally. If there was a real risk of fire around here I would never get one.

Those are pretty! The ones I linked advertise as having some sort of advanced airflow that cuts down on smoke, which is appealing, but idk.

Mate not the same thing!

Totally. If there was a real risk of fire around here I would never get one.

It's not always fire danger. We have a lot of mountains and in the valleys and flat country we can get air stagnation and that will stop them also.

Last edited:
Reactions: ian
Fire pits are for posh wankers is the new narrative over here. Similar to HumbleHC there are an increasing number of restrictions and likely more to come

Realistically it’s tough to justify a fire pit or anything regularly burning wood where pollution may be a factor. London may have congestion charging and cars are increasingly a minority choice, but emissions from wood burning stoves and the like now are the second biggest source (c30%) of the most harmful ultrafine particulates. Which is big blow to the middle class Farrow-and-Ball set who tend to favour wood burners and firepits here, accustomed as they are to feeling morally superior over the proles,

I suspect it’ll take the US a little time to catch up on the moral outrage levels and eco grandstanding here, but don’t say I didn’t warn you

emissions from wood burning stoves and the like now are the second biggest source (c30%) of the most harmful ultrafine particulates
Do you have a source for that? Not that I doubt it, but I suspect though that this would vary drastically by country and region. In cities, I would expect a lot of UFP to come from sources such as road and tire dust. Also, in countries where wood and charcoal are widely used (much of Africa), I would expect that to be a prominent source.

Regardless, UFPs are a problem, and human activity generates an awful lot of them.

Do you have a source for that? Not that I doubt it, but I suspect though that this would vary drastically by country and region. In cities, I would expect a lot of UFP to come from sources such as road and tire dust. Also, in countries where wood and charcoal are widely used (much of Africa), I would expect that to be a prominent source.

Regardless, UFPs are a problem, and human activity generates an awful lot of them.

Guidance for wood burning stoves in London

I suspect you‘re right about the local variations, but the c30% figure for London was an eye opener for me.

Thanks for that! I never would have guessed that London, of all places, would still be burning that much wood!

It’s not, that‘s the thing. Wood burners tend to be the preserve of the upper middle classes, a luxury attractIve addition to the normal central heating, These are occasional heaters, used by a small number of people, and they still contribute that much pollution in a highly congested, busy city

That figure still shocks me a little tbh. And on the plus side the missus wanted a log burner and I’ve got the perfect eco-excuse to spend the budget on something else now, like knives

Port cities also get a lot from big cargo ships and the diesel trucks that move that cargo.

I buddy of mine has 2 of the solo pits. One for home and one for camping. He loves them. Super hot and no smoke in the face

Anyone have one of the fancy fire pits on the market, e.g. the Solo or the Breeo?

Thoughts? An amazing addition to a patio? Too bougie? A ridiculous extravagance and you should just build a damn fire pit?
I have a Breeo 19. We love it as a pandemic purchase. Temp control is not as good as my kamado Joe ceramic cookers, but they are different beasts. The small learning curve is important to keep it smokeless. Hot fires with the fuel below the secondary burn vent holes. I highly recommend the Breeo over the solo.
1)you don’t have to put it away, it’s designed for year round use.
2) the make a SS cover for it, when you are done, put the cover on and walk away. It may smolder for 24 hrs, but it’s safe.
3) where I live, once city over from you, you are not allowed to have openwood fires. This is a cooker. Have hot dogs ready if anyone asks.

I don't know but around here in Texas there are a lot of smokers built from old propane tanks. It is kind of a different animal but they sure cook well.

If you can find it drill stem is much better as it is 3/8 inch thick for a smoker. The thick steel holds the heat better.

I have an old fire pit some blacksmith hammered out. very cool but my backyard and the adjoining acreage is very prone to fire. not sure out my neighbors would feel if I lit a fire.

I have an end of propane tank one, with legs on my brick patio, use it a few times a year when entertaining, we live in the sticks, where land owners have prescribed burns of thousand of acres, negating the chances of wildfires.

Back