Fare thee well

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember reading that this was a problem with globals breaking at the weld when first introduced to the western market due to the different cutting techniques used.

Was the knife laid flat and whacked the blade to crush garlic?

I remember reading that this was a problem with globals breaking at the weld when first introduced to the western market due to the different cutting techniques used.

Was the knife laid flat and whacked the blade to crush garlic?

No, but my wife uses an immense amount of torque to get it through the middle of an apple which is when this happened.

That's why the trend of having plastic apples around for decoration is extremely misguided.

I have a nashiji stainless clad wakui 210mm that the gf uses and abuses. I can remember a time when it had a tip and a core steel that wasn't pitted. Badger what are you thinking for replacement?

I wonder if they welded post HT and missed to temper post weld 🤔

always a sad day when the wifey knife breaks, keep an eye on ur valuables untill you replace it (ask me how i know :( )

I was actually a little more gutted than I've let on with a funny post. That knife has been with me for 15 years, I loved it and I loved that my wife loved it when I moved on to nicer stuff.

I'm thinking Tojiro DP 150mm petty would take take a good old twisty cut through an apple

I know Globals don't get much love but that's still a bit sad. I have a few (including the GS‑5 veggie chopper) and they've served me well for many years.

Might be worth reaching out to Global - they might offer a replacement. A friend snapped the blade on a Wusstie while levering through a large block of cheese and they replaced it cheerfully.

A block of really hard cheese sounds like something that needs 100 times the forces than the center of an apple ... how blunt was that global?

I was actually a little more gutted than I've let on with a funny post. That knife has been with me for 15 years, I loved it and I loved that my wife loved it when I moved on to nicer stuff.

I'm thinking Tojiro DP 150mm petty would take take a good old twisty cut through an apple

I would be gutted too. I am still nostalgic about my global Nakiri 180 that I've had for 15 years. It's been through a lot and still much used by my wife...

No harm in getting her another one, if it is heavily discounted!

I know Globals don't get much love but that's still a bit sad. I have a few (including the GS‑5 veggie chopper) and they've served me well for many years.

Might be worth reaching out to Global - they might offer a replacement. A friend snapped the blade on a Wusstie while levering through a large block of cheese and they replaced it cheerfully.

+1
And the GS-5 is a good knife after some thinning.

Good question Labor.

Obviously something that can handle the centre of an apple.

Or giraffe butchery.

"If only giraffes came in smaller sizes"... thought the midget... wielding his 170mm Munetoshi butcher knife.

I would be gutted too. I am still nostalgic about my global Nakiri 180 that I've had for 15 years. It's been through a lot and still much used by my wife...

No harm in getting her another one, if it is heavily discounted!

Boy, you guys are really sentimental softies. 25+ years I used an 8" Imperial "Very Very Sharp" slicer as my one "good" knife and, well to tell you the truth now that I'm thinking about it, I wouldn't let any knife-clutz so much as touch it!

Boy, you guys are really sentimental softies. 25+ years I used an 8" Imperial "Very Very Sharp" slicer as my one "good" knife and, well to tell you the truth now that I'm thinking about it, I wouldn't let any knife-clutz so much as touch it!

25 years ago I was sitting at a table with a number of other children and coloring outside of the lines...A blue apple that my mother still keeps on her refrigerator all these years later. Regardless, I still have my first kitchen knife. It is a Rada santoku, I still use it too, to cut asparagus out of the garden. I call it my micro machete. I would not be sad if it broke, though. Surprised, sure but not sad.

Back