Fast Cutting 2-3k stone and 5K Synthetic

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Need a fast cutting 2-3k stone to use after Bester 1200 and one in 5K range after. Have been out of synthetic stones for a while, so not sure what's what these days.

M

Well for a 2k stone I use the Naniwa Aotoshi 2k Green Brick. It in my opinion and many others is that it is similar to an aoto in that it finish is much more I would say around 4k, and cuts like a 1k or so and it's rather fast and for the price like 45$ (When they are in, they go fast) along with the size which is two full bricks. That's my recommendation hope this helps.

I am still digging my rika 5k. I find it cuts pretty fast and leaves a nice finish for that range. its not a 5k finish but cuts nicely. I rarely do below that stone these days.

Jon's gessin will replace your bester because it cuts just as fast if not faster and leaves a 2K+ finish

Jon's gessin will replace your bester because it cuts just as fast if not faster and leaves a 2K+ finish

That's what I was gonna say. I've only used the Bester a tiny bit, but that's what it seemed like to me when I compared them. I don't even use much pressure on the 2k and it cuts really quickly.

The Gesshin 400-2k-4k series is the nicest soaker series I've tried. I easily prefer them over the Choseras and the tried and true Bester-Rika combo.

i was warned about how fast jons 4k was for my razors but i likie it alot mtter of fact i think i be getting one so i have a nice step from the DMT1200 and then go 8k 12 k and maybe jons 20k cause it had a nice feel to it

I like the 4k. It's no where near as muddy as the rika but the feedback is great. I was lucky to try it at Jons. I plan on using it to replace my rika.

Pesky

I still love my shapton pro 2k. Probably the best feeling stone in their lineup.

If you have a fast cutting synthetic 5k, I'm not sure a 2k is really going to do anything but add another step. Just my $0.02.

My favorite stone right now is a medium-hard #6K-rated stone by Sigma Power called the Jinzo Renge Suita. The abrasives are irregularly set into the matrix to mimic the irregular finish of a natural stone. It's now my finishing stone because of the refined but aggressive edge but it also cuts quite fast.

Where are the gesshin 4k and 20k found on jons site? I've also read he has a 10k but have been unable to find itm

sorry I've been too busy to get them up... as soon as I have a chance I will get them up

If you have a fast cutting synthetic 5k, I'm not sure a 2k is really going to do anything but add another step...
You have a point but it really depends on how much time you want to spend at each step and what you want your "base" edge to look like. If you want your base edge to be 4k-ish with no coarser scratches, it takes a realtively long time to do that going straight to a 5k. I don't really consider the Rika a fast 5k but more like an average 3k so that also works well.

tim0mit: call, pm or email Jon.

oops. sorry. Jon was too quick.

My favorite stone right now is a medium-hard #6K-rated stone by Sigma Power called the Jinzo Renge Suita. The abrasives are irregularly set into the matrix to mimic the irregular finish of a natural stone. It's now my finishing stone because of the refined but aggressive edge but it also cuts quite fast.

Jinzo003.jpg

Jinzo004.jpg

Jinzo002.jpg

I'd also suggest that it's fast enough to go straight there from a #1/1.2K stone. It leaves a hazy finish (definitely not mirror).

That is interesting! I bet is saves them money on manufacture too.

Where is that stone acquired?

where did you get that?

cool. i'm going to give my 6k Suehiro to a friend, so i'm in the market for a new 6k

Eh, it's a little spendy. Anyone care to knock up a review for that thing? I'm really interested in the concept, but not $65 + shipping interested.

Woops... that's not the same one, I don't think, but I did get mine from toolsfromjapan (Stu).

Jinzo = Synthetic
Renge = Lotus

... so Jinzo Renge Suita = synthetic lotus-pattern Suita.

Push down with moderate pressure and it cuts fast, ease back and use light pressure and it is a great finisher.

The picture of the stone looks like yours, Seb, even if the name isn't the same.

Rick

The picture of the stone looks like yours, Seb, even if the name isn't the same.

Rick

I'm not sure, Rick. The Jinzo Renge Suita (JRS) is made by Saico, Sigma Power's parent company, but it's not badged as a SP. And, to confuse things more, there is at least one other series. IIRC, Stu also offered me that one but he mentioned that it's harder and even faster.

And the box in that link reads (I think): "Siggumapawaseramikku; highest grade for cutlery", so it's the SP Ceramic series and not the JRS.

4158340021.jpg

I've always went Bester 1200--Naniwa SS 5K and never had a need for an in between stone.

Latest posts

Back