Favorite boxes for shipping knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheflife15

Reaction score
I might be selling off my small collection in order to fund some other projects. What are your favorite boxes to ship in for the best cost efficiency.

Strong tube offer probably the most protection for a compact size, but for example here in DE this costs extra as it is a 'non standard' format that hast to be handled manually. So I use mostly rectangular boxes with cross section about 10x10 cm (or a little larger)

YMMV but in Canada at least I've found that using bubble lined envelopes removes about 30% of the shipping cost. Done well with some additional liner inside it's even safer than a cardboard box, as those envelopes resist water.

Double box with padding.
Tubes are a problem because USPS can’t scan the label so tracking fails. Tubes also roll off conveyors requiring manual processing which leads to delays...

I did enough "custom" cardboard boxes and initial thrill wore off pretty quickly. But sometimes that is the only solution. Like a few years back I was shipping a broken, 10kg heavy Microtek F1 film scanner to mainland China and because of the size, weight and relative fragility I really had to do a custom box with extra padding and stiffening. Took me about 2 hours - but the scanner actually arrived in one piece. But a knife box can indeed be done relatively easily from a large box.

+1 for USPS triangular boxes.

Otherwise, people put a knife box inside a slightly larger box, padded with crumpled newspaper, airbags or peanuts all around to prevent impact damage.

I wish there was a way to buy a couple single boxes. I don't need 25, and I don't live near post office or have a car to go to one to grab their triangle boxes. Had to get rid of all my shipping boxes when the in-laws came and stayed at my place for the wedding - regretting it everyday!

I use USPS priority boxes, you can order them on line for free and they will deliver them to your house for free.

I also use the triangular freebie USPS priority boxes. Just don't put the true dimensions in or you will be paying for extra size as under 36" total (I enter 12x12x12) is a lesser cost.

The triangle shape is extra strong and the extra length is good for padding on the ends of the knife.

Could put the knife in a tube, then put it inside one of the triangle boxes also.
No point, if you really want to do this, just buy a piece of corrugated cardboard and wrap it tightly around a bubble wrapped knife, so that the cardboard and knife fit inside the triangular box.

This is what @marc4pt0 does when he sends knives to me by the way, bulletproof and excellent packing.

I focus only for the good looks of the package, when the postalperson sees it, he/she don't have any other choice but to handle it like a fragile flower.

I also use the triangular freebie USPS priority boxes. Just don't put the true dimensions in or you will be paying for extra size as under 36" total (I enter 12x12x12) is a lesser cost.

The triangle shape is extra strong and the extra length is good for padding on the ends of the knife.

Can you elaborate on the dimensions input part? How does that work? Thank you

Well, if you were to ship this at the post office it's a supplied box and would be the lower price automatic. When you print labels online, you can't put that its a supplied priority box, only the dimensions. Soo, the true dimensions tally greater than 36" putting it at a higher price point. There for you have to put generic dimensions in equaling less than 36". The post office wont question it, as it's a supplied priority box.

Back