Favorite cookbooks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a friend recently approached me about learning how to cook. like me, they come from a home without parents who are very good at it.

finding a first cookbook for someone can be hard; I did some research and the two that seem to come up a lot are The Food Lab (a great book btw) and Salt Fat Acid Heat. I actually bought a copy of the latter to evaluate it and love it. I can say without reservation it is an AMAZING first cook book. my friend seems to like it as well.

Salt Fat Acid Heat is a really revolutionary book IMO.

It teaches people how to cook, not just recipes. I have given it to a few family members who are starting to realize that cooking is both pleasurable and a good way to save money - and they both messaged me saying they'd never thought to TASTE food so much as they cook it. Having eaten at their home over the 2 years since I gave it to them, I think the methods taught in that book have really helped them grow as home cooks.

No love cajun and creole cuisines?

Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen New Orleans Cajun Cookbook hc+dj

I love watching old Justin Wilson episodes from PBS. I’ve got Mosquito Supper Club sitting in my shelf needing to be read and all the classics from New Orleans - goodness I miss that city.

I also recently picked up Francis Mallmann’s new book Green Fire and am really enjoying it.

I love watching old Justin Wilson episodes from PBS. I’ve got Mosquito Supper Club sitting in my shelf needing to be read and all the classics from New Orleans - goodness I miss that city.

I also recently picked up Francis Mallmann’s new book Green Fire and am really enjoying it.
I will have to look into those, thanks for the tip.
We had a creole gentleman open a restaurant here back in the 80's and when he went out of business I had to learn to make it myself. So that cookbook was where I started.

Anyone have a recommendation for a Peruvian cookbook with more complex/flavorful recipes to actually cook from? I saw the Phaidon one, and apparently it's kinda boring if pretty to look at.

Green fire is really cool. I got it a few months ago as a bday present from my wife.

Anyone got a favorite book for bread? I think I’m ready to fall into that hole.
https://www.amazon.com/Bread-Bakers-Book-Techniques-Recipes/dp/1119577519

"The perfect book for bread bakers."​

In his third edition of Bread, Certified Master Baker Jeffrey Hammelman introduces a diverse collection of flavors, tastes, and textures, hundreds of drawings that vividly illustrate techniques, and evocative photographs of finished and decorative breads. Acclaimed as “the definitive guide for professional and serious home bakers,” Bread has become a trusted resource for bakers since its original publication in 2004.

Tartine 1 and Tartine Bread are really good and super informative. Especially for naturally levaned Bread. Ken Forkish has a book too which is really awesome. I forget the name but I think it's something Artisan Bread
Second the Tartine recommendation!

Forkish’s Flour Water Salt Yeast is good. Hamelman is good too. Has a billion recipes. With all of these books, I think it’s a good idea not to pay attention too much to particular recipes, but to learn what percentages of flour/water/salt/yeast/starter you like, and then to learn what fermentation times work for you, and how to shape/fold the dough. Then you can play around with your own recipes.

I just bought this one. His perspective on baking is driven by the science behind each step. Additionally, he provides troubleshooting if you find (like me) that your loaves aren't quite what you were hoping they would be (still delicious though!). He also has a website and youtube videos that have been particularly helpful.

The Perfect Loaf: The Craft and Science of Sourdough Breads, Sweets, and More: A Baking Book
- Maurizio Leo​

The Perfect Loaf Website

a friend recently approached me about learning how to cook. like me, they come from a home without parents who are very good at it.

finding a first cookbook for someone can be hard; I did some research and the two that seem to come up a lot are The Food Lab (a great book btw) and Salt Fat Acid Heat. I actually bought a copy of the latter to evaluate it and love it. I can say without reservation it is an AMAZING first cook book. my friend seems to like it as well.
Yeah I feel one of the reasons it’s been such a success it really gives you the tools to start making your own (very general) recipes.

Attachments

• 7426368B-29AB-42C4-B000-F0E339D94CE8.jpeg
    7426368B-29AB-42C4-B000-F0E339D94CE8.jpeg
    896.1 KB · Views: 0
  • EE92039F-532F-4D28-86B6-371D80F97525.jpeg
    EE92039F-532F-4D28-86B6-371D80F97525.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 66D3EE7C-E541-4DF3-962A-6144E523AB65.jpeg
    66D3EE7C-E541-4DF3-962A-6144E523AB65.jpeg
    973.9 KB · Views: 0
we just recovered a stash of our cookbooks that were in hiding for the last 2.5 years :)
Cutting techniques and the Dikke van Dam were the first to be recovered!

Even better than a favorite book - a favorite website for bread making. Breadtopia.com is awesome, and includes some videos showing techniques. Although some recipes call for special varieties of wheat or other grains, it can be replaced with flours easily available to you. What I love is, you don't need an advanced degree in chemistry or laboratory practice with Eric, who puts up the website. It's very casual, as bread baking should be for most. You'll want a 15 dollar kitchen scale.

I just bought this one. His perspective on baking is driven by the science behind each step. Additionally, he provides troubleshooting if you find (like me) that your loaves aren't quite what you were hoping they would be (still delicious though!). He also has a website and youtube videos that have been particularly helpful.

The Perfect Loaf: The Craft and Science of Sourdough Breads, Sweets, and More: A Baking Book

- Maurizio Leo​

The Perfect Loaf Website
I don't have the book but I've used the website a lot and recommend it.

That's for the deluge of bread tips (though I'm surprised our favorite German down under didn't have a whole laundry list!) I'll likely grab one or two of the cookbooks identified and get to it. I may check out some of the websites if I need to troubleshoot, but I generally prefer working from a paper recipe.

Last edited:
I think some fans of Mexican cooking follow this thread. I didn’t buy it but Diana Kennedy is a Mexican cooking icon, it’s two bucks on kindle

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...tkin_8&storeType=ebooks&qid=1675353474&sr=8-1
This one is three bucks, might be more approachable

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FES54L...97c-f1481d09e30c&ref_=bd_tags_dp_rec_vft_none
Cool, thanks, bought the $2 one. Couldn't resist at that price. I have her book "The Cuisines of Mexico" and like it; that and a couple of Rick Bayless ones are my go-to books for Mexican.

I have never gotten into Mexican cuisine in any serious way, but a cookbook that told me how to make those taco truck tacos I used to love, back when I lived where I had access to them, would get my attention in a hurry. Especially the lengua and tripas ones.

I have never gotten into Mexican cuisine in any serious way, but a cookbook that told me how to make those taco truck tacos I used to love, back when I lived where I had access to them, would get my attention in a hurry. Especially the lengua and tripas ones.
Haha, me too, I'll just add buche to the list! I've made decent lengua tacos at home. I love tripas tacos too, but might leave that one for the professionals.

You won’t find a digital version of this, it’s only on the used or out-of-print market. It’s my bible for a certain kind of rustic but confident cooking, seven or eight times a year. You don’t need any laboratory equipment, thermometers, or a calculator. Just add the ingredients one by one, using your own cooking common sense, and be happy.

Attachments

• B0739FA5-3954-4EA6-B466-159FDBC7ED65.jpeg
    B0739FA5-3954-4EA6-B466-159FDBC7ED65.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • A103B203-9F34-4C71-8E92-E1F3C9840A60.jpeg
    A103B203-9F34-4C71-8E92-E1F3C9840A60.jpeg
    733.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Cool, thanks, bought the $2 one. Couldn't resist at that price. I have her book "The Cuisines of Mexico" and like it; that and a couple of Rick Bayless ones are my go-to books for Mexican.
I think anyone from Oaxaca will agree that isn't Mexican cooking. Totally unique culture down there. A place I learned to like smoked grasshoppers as a meal starter.

Last edited:
I think anyone from Oaxaca will agree that isn't Mexican cooking. Totally unique culture now there. A place I learned to like smoked grasshoppers as a meal starter.
I visited Oaxaca for a couple of weeks, great place, great food. Mostly ate at the stalls in the indoor markets, but had a memorable meal at Los Danzantes too.

Back