Favorite Current Food Publications

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isaac Frost

Reaction score
I've been having a tough time sorting through good and bad culinary focused publications (websites, magazines, etc...) Would be happy to hear advice on things to keep an eye on, so I can do my best to stay up to date with the industry.

Thanks, cheers.

I don't know if I'm speaking for others as well but I've gotten away from following any publications per se, loosely follow "Serious Eats" and "Chef Steps" (though Chefs Steps may have just gone tits up) and a couple of Sous Vide user groups. Nothing industry specific.

Is yoni considered food? If it is there is a Men's guide to Tantra book that I recommend to anyone willing to listen.

I don't know if I'm speaking for others as well but I've gotten away from following any publications per se, loosely follow "Serious Eats" and "Chef Steps" (though Chefs Steps may have just gone tits up) and a couple of Sous Vide user groups. Nothing industry specific.
I like Chef Steps, though not as much as Serious Eats. What info do you have about them going tits up?

Read somewhere last week, maybe the Eater, that they laid off everybody. Said they would continue to support the Joule.

I’m a little surprised knowing what I do of the owner of modernists business model that he didn’t just sue chefsteps into oblivion when Grant and Chris jumped ship.

Back to the topic at hand, I still personally subscribe to BA, and Cook’s Illustrated as well as regularly check into serious eats and buy Kenji’s book(s).

Cooks Illustrated was really good, but I feel its worth buying up the older back issues instead of the new stuff, especially since none of it is time sensitive. The Cooks Illustrated site/app is supposed to give you access to everything old but the navigation and use of the site/app really sucks. They do have an end of the year bound hardcover book which is really nice to collect too.

I put a slightly higher value on Serious Eats when it comes up in a web search on a recipe, but I don't make a habit of reading the site on a regular basis. I mostly just work with general web searches or cook books. I've been on a Chinese food binge the last year, so collected a bunch of cookbooks in that area. There is a depth of experience with the author of a good cook book that you don't get with most web site recipes, although I'll still try a web-found recipe if it seems good.

My wife used to have a subscription to Cooks Illustrated but we let that lapse. I might pick one up at the grocery store once in a while, but I don't like their "testing" method for showcase recipes. It's usually someone who has never done that recipe before, or always failed at it, and then tries a bunch of random stuff to find a winner. I'd rather learn from someone who knows what they're doing over long experience with a certain recipe. And that usually means a book author.

P.S. Wow, I hadn't heard about Chef Steps... Yikes! Well, I hope my Joule manages to hang in there for a few more years!

DaveB - thx for the Chefsteps info ... "yikes" about sums up my thoughts as well ...

Pubs though - I really like BA ... and subscribe - up and down but still per the OP it was I read ... most of my searches are obviously on line but there are definitely some very worn out copies of BA that I have kept / year after year ...

I put a slightly higher value on Serious Eats when it comes up in a web search on a recipe, but I don't make a habit of reading the site on a regular basis. I mostly just work with general web searches or cook books. I've been on a Chinese food binge the last year, so collected a bunch of cookbooks in that area. There is a depth of experience with the author of a good cook book that you don't get with most web site recipes, although I'll still try a web-found recipe if it seems good.

What Chinese cook books would you recommend? I've been meaning to go the Central LA library to look up more cookbooks. . . my favorite Chinese ones are Irene Kuo's The Key to Chinese Cooking and Murdoch Books' Food of China (for the pictures). Though the Bite of China TV series seems to be the most educational . . .

What Chinese cook books would you recommend? I've been meaning to go the Central LA library to look up more cookbooks. . . my favorite Chinese ones are Irene Kuo's The Key to Chinese Cooking and Murdoch Books' Food of China (for the pictures). Though the Bite of China TV series seems to be the most educational . . .

Okay, here are the Chinese cookbooks I've been collecting and working from, in order of usefulness especially for someone fairly new to this. Note: my bias is trying to stay as far away from Cantonese/Chinese-American recipes as possible, so keep that in mind.

Every Grain of Rice -- Fuschia Dunlop

If you only buy one Chinese cookbook, get this one. Dunlop knows her stuff, the recipes are not overly complex, and you will only need a few nonstandard ingredients. This contains some recipes that overlap from her other books, but in many cases they're refined versions. Good photography, but not every recipe has a photo.

All Under Heaven -- Carolyn Phillips

A large book, packed full of recipes from every region of China. Chinese cuisine isn't a single thing, it varies hugely by region, and this is an admirable attempt to give at least a taste of the different regional styles in a single book. Very well-written. No photos, all pen-and-ink illustration. This is the second book you should have after Every Grain of Rice, and you could spend years working through just those two books.

The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking -- Barbara Tropp

I think this one is out of print, but worth having. Another fairly exhaustive overview of Chinese cooking. No photos in this one either but I've found some very good recipes in it.

All of Fuschia Dunlop's other books: Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook, Land of Fish and Rice, Land of Plenty.

These cover different regions of China. Good photos in the first two, no photos in the last one, but it was her first book and the most comprehensive on Sichuan cooking. She has a new book on Sichuan cooking coming out in October, I don't know if it's an update or a completely new one. All of her books are worth having if you're filling out a Chinese cookbook shelf.

----
There is one cookbook that I regret buying, and it's sometimes mentioned here on KKF: Breath of a Wok by Grace Young and Alan Richardson.

There is some info about woks, but nothing you can't find elsewhere. Most of the book is focused on Chinese-American (Cantonese) recipes, heavy on the sugar. I'm not really into that. The author also deprecates a style of cooking ("passing through oil") that's a bit messy, but essential to some of the authentic recipes in the other books listed above. I wouldn't recommend this unless you just want some beauty shots of woks.

I've had really good luck with anything from Fuschia Dunlop. And that show”Bite of China”!!! Makes you really want to go there, or it has us anyway.

I have two of Dunlops, Every Grain of Rice and Land of Plenty. Like.

But I also liked Breath.... Not long on technique or recipe but a well written book that held my interest.

New food publications promote the new aged mind numbing global agenda to promote a plant based food agenda. I am about to order 2 pre-World war 2 cookbooks. If the recipe did not have a lot of meat or cream it was not food.

New food publications promote the new aged mind numbing global agenda to promote a plant based food agenda. I am about to order 2 pre-World war 2 cookbooks. If the recipe did not have a lot of meat or cream it was not food.

Oh, do I have a cookbook for you:

"A Treasury of Great Recipes: Famous Specialties of the World's Foremost Restaurants Adapted for the American Kitchen" by Vincent Price and Mary Price.

It's a slice of the high life in the 1960's. Vincent was a major food snob and "gourmet" home cook as well as an actor. My S.O. found an original edition and it has a prominent place on our shelf. Recipes loaded with fat and sugar, from places like Sardi's. Here's a link to a recent edition, but find an original edition if you can. The faded photos are wonderful (and kinda gross, some of them, but there are treasures in here as well):

https://www.amazon.com/Treasury-Great-Recipes-50th-Anniversary/dp/1606600729

I have two of Dunlops, Every Grain of Rice and Land of Plenty. Like.

But I also liked Breath.... Not long on technique or recipe but a well written book that held my interest.

I agree with you on Breath of the Wok. Loved the book but then Grace ia friend of mine. Any thing Dunlop publishes goes on my shelf for sure.

Back