Favorite custom by western maker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTKC

Reaction score
Hi. So there have been a couple of recent threads about favorite J-knives and newest acquisitions; I thought it would be interesting to ask folks to describe and/or show their favorite custom knife by a western maker. And if choosing among your culinary children is difficult, feel free to share two. Thanks.

Very difficult question. I have customs from Bryan Raquin, Devin Thomas, Tilman Leder, and Isasmedjan. The DT, well it's an ITK with special handle, so no custom... My favourite from all those? The Isasmedjan is my newest, so I pick this one!

View attachment 50529
View attachment 50530
View attachment 50531
View attachment 50532

UHB20c differentially hardened
Handle from masur birch, birch bark and moose antler.

It is my All-Sweden-themed gyuto, blade-heavy workhorse. 225/53/220g.

But a new custom is somewhere in the birth-process, so... :rolleyes:

The ones I reach for most tend to be:
Trey Richbourg 52100 petty:
6qvw0i1.jpg

And probably the wrought/1.2562 mini cleaver by Robin Dalman.
3Lpa3g7.jpg

I've only got three knives from Western makers - a 150mm custom petty from Lew Griffin in 01 monosteel, one of Dan Prendergast's 260mm carbon-clad AS gyuto blades with a custom handle from PCPKen and a standard 220mm forged geometry in mild steel clad 1.2442 from Will Catcheside.

I used them all for different things so they are all my favourite. If you put a gun to my head and said I could only save one it'd be the Catcheside. Absolute beast of a tool

Very difficult question. I have customs from Bryan Raquin, Devin Thomas, Tilman Leder, and Isasmedjan. The DT, well it's an ITK with special handle, so no custom... My favourite from all those? The Isasmedjan is my newest, so I pick this one!

View attachment 50529
View attachment 50530
View attachment 50531
View attachment 50532

UHB20c differentially hardened
Handle from masur birch, birch bark and moose antler.

It is my All-Sweden-themed gyuto, blade-heavy workhorse. 225/53/220g.

But a new custom is somewhere in the birth-process, so... :rolleyes:
I’m running out of reasons not to order a Isamedjan.

There's so Western many makers I would try if the money pot was of the magically refilling variety; Isasmedjan, Raquin, Dalman, Antzenberger, Kamon, Xerxes, Two Sticks, Ingoglia....That's not even getting started on the US and Aussie makers.

Oh and I heard there's a little island called Japan where they make the odd knife or two as well?

Just received a Tony Laseur and so far very happy with it.. too early to compare with others yet but plan on doing a short review soon.

Last edited:
I have a Xerxes and Shihan and love them both. Shihan much beefier than Xerxes. Also have a Laseur on order and expect it shortly. Significant upgrade to the Shun's that I have been using for years.

Ken

my favorites are the kramers. because they go for 40 grand, no other customs go for 40 grand.

keepin it real!

lol.

I'm not really into customs since i can easily customize production knives to my liking.

I own only two knives I would never sell. Both are made by French guy with a beard. His first name is Bryan. Likes 145sc. ;)

My three favourite Western makers are Joe (Halcyonforge), Trey (Comet), and Bryan Raquin.

Hard to pick, but of the stuff I have now in hand (two crazy projects on the way). My wrought iron 230 Halcyonforge gyuto and my Raquin mini cleaver take the cake right now. My Halcyon 260 WH is right there and interchangeable from month to month with the 230.

cfae877d8ae281b3b108d38d578da8c6.jpeg

0af0ff6a53db1ef61e59e176e3e5e55e.jpeg

My three favourite Western makers are Joe (Halcyonforge), Trey (Comet), and Bryan Raquin.

Hard to pick, but of the stuff I have now in hand (two crazy projects on the way). My wrought iron 230 Halcyonforge gyuto and my Raquin mini cleaver take the cake right now. My Halcyon 260 WH is right there and interchangeable from month to month with the 230.

View attachment 50849

View attachment 50850
Why are these 3 your faves?

Back