Favorite custom by western maker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are these 3 your faves?
I assume you mean the knives. They cover three very different styles of knives.

-230 HF wrought iron blue 2: best cutting gyuto I have used (pure ease of cutting), the tip is a ghost through onions, release is better than I would expect. Spine is still rather substantial at the heel and nice taper. After a small tweak to the heel the profile works perfect for me. Handle is comfy. And last but not least I absolutely love how it looks, both blade and handle.

-260 HF wrought iron 1.2519 core: heavy weight knife with amazing grind and profile. This grind comes close to the top for cutting ease but has a lot of weight behind it which I really like. Steel is one of my top 3 favourites so far very easy to deburr and get a very toothy but clean edge. Last but no least, it looks badass and has maybe my favourite handle so far.
16dfc6f50b3c8acf1bf53d09216dfe0c.jpeg

-175 mini cleaver: super fun shape, nice weight, fantastic grind (a bit of it is my own but I mostly followed the original grind when cleaning the bevels) that is a very good all around with nice cutting performance and very good release. Super hard and fine steel, not so easy to abrade but dead easy to deburr, this one finishes with more of a crisp fine edge less toothy than the HF or blue steels. I love the forging skills showcased in this knife with the geometry mostly forged in and the super even and clean weld line. Handle is Uber comfortable like all of Bryan's handles. Aesthetics are very much up my alley too.

I also love them all three because they look great polished and are fun to polish.

Last edited:
I’ll go with a 8.5’ san-mai Burke gyuto with a 52100 core sandwiched between stainless damascus sides. While any Burke, for me, is a contender, this one just feels perfect in my hand and cuts like, well, a Burke- which is to say, fantastic!

Well, no pics (yet), but I expect a carving set from Peter Swartz-Burt in a few weeks, and a chef’s knife from Mareko Maumasi in a couple years. Love both their work based on pics and videos. Hope I’ll love them even more in person.

I’ve never handled Schwartz-Burt’s work, but you will definitely enjoy the Maumasi- love mine! His S-grind is great with food release.

Tried a Raquin and now I have a few, amazing, his blades just get it done on the board, his 145sc/125sc heat treat and rustic look will create an addiction.

I’ve had three Radars, hope to get more. The last one is a 52100 that is his base model and it’s as much art as it is functional. It blows through onions like nine other.

Robert with 9nines made me a cleaver that will probably go to the grave with, the grind is amazing. I immediately got back in his books!

Jeff Steele of Black Lotus knives is in the zone right producing some gorgeous blades with great grinds, I see his books filling up fast. I own two, keepers!

Kippington, another maker from the land down under is producing some great performing knives in multiple grinds. I love my fishhook and Honyaki gyuto. Super nice guy to work with.

I got on Markos list and managed to get one of his new S grinds, I use that knife a lot! One the best fit and finished in the business.

Truth is we are spoiled with makers outside of Japan. I have several I wanna try, Xerxes, Kamon, Lisch, Comet, LaSauer, Tansu, and the list goes on. Last year I pretty much tried makers outside of Japan exclusively and have zero regrets, there’s a lot of talent out there if you can land one, that’s the hard part. As far as “A” favorite I don't have one, I like many makers for different reasons.

Last edited:
I am on MT‘s list since January 2013. His knives look good and may be good performers but he‘s pure chaos and can’t deal with his workload. I don’t know how often I have already had communications with him and I have even heard that he’ll get my knife done within a few weeks. That is months ago... If one is lucky to get one, fine with me, but you better be prepared to never get what you want...

So many fantastic Western makers out there who are happy to actually exchange knives against (my) money! Xerxes, DT, Dave, Raquin, Rader, Halcyon Forge, Kippington, Mert Tansu, Tilman Leder, Carter, Kamon, Dalman, Isasmedjan... Those I really respect and support!

I am on MT‘s list since January 2013. His knives look good and may be good performers but he‘s pure chaos and can’t deal with his workload. I don’t know how often I have already had communications with him and I have even heard that he’ll get my knife done within a few weeks. That is months ago... If one is lucky to get one, fine with me, but you better be prepared to never get what you want...

So many fantastic Western makers out there who are happy to actually exchange knives against (my) money! Xerxes, DT, Dave, Raquin, Rader, Halcyon Forge, Kippington, Mert Tansu, Tilman Leder, Carter, Kamon, Dalman, Isasmedjan... Those I really respect and support!
7 year wait?!? Did you pay in full or just a deposit? Not even Maumasi makes you wait that long. Crazy

Ive heard great things about catchside. For those who use their knives heavily, he seems to be a favorite.
Theyre the definition of workhorses. Great food release and great heat treat

PJ Tomes, MS
52100, walrus ivory. Even though I thought micarta would be sturdy/safe, he said the massive chunk of ivory (the biggest he ever had) would survive years in a commercial kitchen, and he was correct.

IMG_20200123_131838.jpg

No experience with any yet but Shihan, Raquin, and Dalman seems to speak to me most.

Thus far it’s been my kippington, but I’ve been looking forward to spending more time with the newham honyaki. Also working on a Shi.Han which I’m excited about.

for me it’s a real classic: my 270mm WH by Tsil from TCblades
Honorable mention: Marius Smide and Koorat Kento gyutos.
Most use gets JJT gyuto…

My only "true" customs are from Shi.Han, and I wholeheartedly stand by his work.

I do have a "custom" Heiji Carbon, that the original owner custom ordered length and profile I believe. Also a fantastic knife.

Back