Favorite dish for trying out a new knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone out there likes to cook when they get a new knife. Anything in particular that gives the knife a good test?

I just cooked up a nice big pot of beef stew with my new sakai takayuki ginsanko...

20161013_153050.jpg

I always go with soups. 5gallons of two or three soups and you get a good feel of the knife.

Onion tart or boeuf bourguignon :knife:

Not a dish but a component of many. I do a qt or 2 of mire poix / trinity as a means of introduction. Like speed dating g without the awkwardness.

without a doubt.

hunting knife, kitchen knife..pocket knife. whatever

sliced tomatoes with cracked black pepper and a nice crusty salt. :) my last knife i opened the box giddy, and my wife handed me a tomato.

Eventually, sooner or later a classic dish named a sharpeners salad will be created, and it will certainly feature curiously thin tomato slices, katsuramuki of radish and cukes....

My favorite is seared tuna. I will very happy if new knife cut through cooked part with out fall apart.:)

20161011_193209-Edit.jpg

Just curious what everyone out there likes to cook when they get a new knife. Anything in particular that gives the knife a good test?

I just cooked up a nice big pot of beef stew with my new sakai takayuki ginsanko...

20161013_153050.jpg
How do you like that sakai Takayuki? Pretty laser-ish I'm guessing?

@jimmy_d yes, but you can't see them :) But then, I find that very thin, smoothly cut onion slices can develop a surprising, sometimes unpleasant bite in a salad...

Fried rice? Yeah, great for the small board knives - lots of small amount of ingredients that need to be turned into an amount of small ingredients :)

Pretty sure those Sakai takayuki knives are made by sukenari, if it's sanmai and not Damascus

Yeah preizzo had posted what I think is the same model and it's nearly identical in shape to sukenari knives. I'm looking on my phone though could be this is a different st. Either way I'm quite sure the word on the street is that company does oem work for some bigger brands.

Have a Sakai takauki ginsanko and I had a yoshihiro ginsanko (I sold)
The was Yoshihiro was same like my sukenari, but the Sakai takauki it s a bit different in the grind, more convex and more thin on the edge instead to be more flat like the yoshihiro and of course sukenari knives!

Oops yeah it was the Yoshihiro now I remember. They sell some of the pm knives too. You don't like sukenari labor?

I like chowders for a new knife. Trinity plus potatoes and protein. Good thing my family likes chowder.

I have the Takayuki and the Sukenari ginsans and they are very different knives.

I usually make a salad with lots of parts and pieces, but usually run out of product before I run out of enthusiasm, so this thread has given me some great ideas.

Pico de gallo...and then often leading to a breakfast hash or scramble

Back