Favorite Display

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a couple of locations where the knife can rotate around a spot (a magnet I guess ;) ) a bit.

Update: quick video.

That opinel bread knife is pretty convex on the right side

Cheers! Never thought about that issue before.

Mag Bloks for wall mount. Also have a counter top block from K&S that is best of class. (Wish James would offer these again now that he has retail presence in states) And work knives in Chef Choice rolls..

I made a magnetic bar from a scrap of walnut and some bar magnets. The magnets are doubled, increasing their pull strength, and there's only about 1/8" of wood between the magnets and the knives. Magnets are held in place with epoxy.

DSC08027.jpgDSC00011.jpg

There are a couple of locations where the knife can rotate around a spot (a magnet I guess ;) ) a bit.

Update: quick video.

That opinel bread knife is pretty convex on the right side

Even on my knife strip with super strong magnets laid edge-to-edge, I still have some rotational spots. I assumed it had something to do with the point of contact between the particular knife and the wood. For example, if the wood has even a bit of crown to it (so the center of the strip is higher than the edges), the knife can rotate. I assumed it was a function of my inconsistent work with a handheld orbital sander.

Hiii what a nice knife magnet.!
Can you tell me what sort of magnets you used, and where you got them from?
Best,

Jeroen

Hiii what a nice knife magnet.!
Can you tell me what sort of magnets you used, and where you got them from?
Best,

Jeroen

Not sure who your question is directed to, but I’ll jump in: I used DA4 magnets from K&J Magnetics (kjmagnetics.com).

I’ve since had magnet4less.com recommended, but I have not used them. They seem to be quite a bit less expensive than K&J.

Back