Favorite Display

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishmanDE

Reaction score
Heyo

I’m looking into ways to display/store my humble collection and was interested how you all store/display yours! I was looking at mag strips, and am curious which brands you use, how you like them and potential other options are out there? Like racks, blocks, etc. Would love some pics too!

Nick

I had one of the original 360 knife blocks and really liked the concept and the quality of the materials. I sold it because the magnets were too powerful for my preference and it wasn’t tall enough to accommodate a full 240 without part of the edge protruding from the top. It looks like they addressed the height issue with a new model. They’re expensive but very functional. 360 Knife Block MAX - Walnut

I had one of the original 360 knife blocks and really liked the concept and the quality of the materials. I sold it because the magnets were too powerful for my preference and it wasn’t tall enough to accommodate a full 240 without part of the edge protruding from the top. It looks like they addressed the height issue with a new model. They’re expensive but very functional. 360 Knife Block MAX - Walnut

It is expensive, but very cool! Thanks 🙏

I got this one in January before realizing I would be buying an unreasonable amount of knives. Yes, at the time I thought buying 2-3 knives would be a reasonable amount. So now it’s full and I have to figure out what to do before buying my next knife. I guess in that sense it’s a good speed bump and maybe it’ll force me to do a one in / one out policy. It looks great on the counter though and matches the stainless steel in my kitchen.

78F80C35-B192-4C8E-9CF4-4E9FF607014A.jpeg

I got this one in January before realizing I would be buying an unreasonable amount of knives. Yes, at the time I thought buying 2-3 knives would be a reasonable amount. So now it’s full and I have to figure out what to do before buying my next knife. I guess in that sense it’s a good speed bump and maybe it’ll force me to do a one in / one out policy. It looks great on the counter though and matches the stainless steel in my kitchen.

View attachment 135892
Or buy another 1 or 5 of those knife blocks? 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 135892

How’s the magnet strength? Where did you purchase?

How’s the magnet strength? Where did you purchase?

Magnet strength is just right, but they’re spaced just a touch too far apart so sometimes the knives will tilt a bit unless I move them a hair to the left or right. It’s a very minor annoyance and mostly only with the pettys not the gyutos. The knives are easy to remove with a clockwise twist.

Notice the 240mm on the right has the handle raised .5” above the top to keep the tip from protruding at the bottom. If you have 270’s this block would probably be too short.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C2HRNMZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have two knife magnets. Only have a picture of one...

oXdNJCv.jpg

The other is across the room a bit and is for the lesser used knives or those I'm not yet ready to put back in the box. If they aren't on one of those strips, they are in a box. I don't care about display, just availability.

I have two knife magnets. Only have a picture of one...

oXdNJCv.jpg

The other is across the room a bit and is for the lesser used knives or those I'm not yet ready to put back in the box. If they aren't on one of those strips, they are in a box. I don't care about display, just availability.

Nice! Where’d you get that one from?

I also focussed on availability. I have a small kitchen but fortunately have a wall that is easy to access. These Mag-Bloks do have some annoying spots where knives might rotate a bit.

The middle holder (easiest access) is for the knives that my wife uses

Last edited:
Our kitchen is very open and doesn't have any wall space for mounting magnetic strips and I wasn't willing to give up counter space. Found this walnut refrigerator mount magnetic strip on Amazon and bought the 16". It was a leap of faith assuming it would be capable of holding the weight of a bunch of knives, but I've been thoroughly impressed. Very strong magnets! I had all on one strip, but ordered a second to use when my latest knives arrive (a beautiful yanagiba due to arrive today to replace the 20+-years-old Forchner slicer). I didn't realize how dirty the side of the fridge is until taking the picture. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. Rearranging knives!

Magnetic Knife Strip.jpg

Our kitchen is very open and doesn't have any wall space for mounting magnetic strips and I wasn't willing to give up counter space. Found this walnut refrigerator mount magnetic strip on Amazon and bought the 16". It was a leap of faith assuming it would be capable of holding the weight of a bunch of knives, but I've been thoroughly impressed. Very strong magnets! I had all on one strip, but ordered a second to use when my latest knives arrive (a beautiful yanagiba due to arrive today to replace the 20+-years-old Forchner slicer). I didn't realize how dirty the side of the fridge is until taking the picture. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. Rearranging knives!

View attachment 135908
Yikes!

Who uses that bunka in the center of the top?

View attachment 135908
See if you can get used to pointing the blades in the bottom down and the top up so they sit handle to handle, rather than handle to blade.

Yikes!

Who uses that bunka in the center of the top?
Did I mention I'm new to Japanese knives? Can you tell?

It was appropriately described as a honesuki/bunka which they weren't really sure what to call it. It was cheap, so I thought "Why not?" Now I know "Why not?", but certainly can't blame where I bought it for my not-knowin'-no-better.

And now that I think about it, I'd best just take it off and put it in its box in the closet and get a couple of "proper" knives to fill the space.

Last edited:
See if you can get used to pointing the blades in the bottom down and the top up so they sit handle to handle, rather than handle to blade.
Thanks for the "tip". A simple solution to concerns I had yesterday morning at 3am when I put up the second magnetic strip. I'll do just that when I take them off to clean the refrigerator.

I also focussed on availability. I have a small kitchen but fortunately have a wall that is easy to access. These Mag-Bloks do have some annoying spots where knives might rotate a bit.

The middle holder (easiest access) is for the knives that my wife uses
This looks reasonable. Good way to keep the most-used ones handy. Where do you store the rest?

:D

This looks reasonable. Good way to keep the most-used ones handy. Where do you store the rest?

:D
Ok, ok, i do have some other ones in a drawer close by.... And then some in a box in the garage. ...What gave it away? ;)

(But this is the main bulk, I think I am actually at the point I am pretty happy with what I got, so I don't expect too many additions/changes)

Last edited:
Heyo

I’m looking into ways to display/store my humble collection and was interested how you all store/display yours! I was looking at mag strips, and am curious which brands you use, how you like them and potential other options are out there? Like racks, blocks, etc. Would love some pics too!

Nick

I don’t display my kitchen knives—they’re mostly kept in a flat file in the bedroom.

I’ve wanted to get a knife rack—have heard good things about this brand:
https://www.benchcrafted.com/magblok

I don’t display my kitchen knives—they’re mostly kept in a flat file in the bedroom.

I’ve wanted to get a knife rack—have heard good things about this brand:
https://www.benchcrafted.com/magblok
Ooooo, looks nice. Affordable. I wonder just how powerful it is though. My concern with the mag strip is finding one with the right amount of power. I don’t want them to fall off, obviously, but I also don’t wanna have to lift Thor’s hammer every time I reach for one either

The Benchcrafted Mag-Bloks were the gold standard a dozen years ago, and the one that many DIYers used for inspiration. The main issue was they were rarely longer than ~24 inches, so they were too short for typical knife forum members. I think Dave M scored one years back that was closer to 3 or 4 feet long -- a true grail at the time.

Benchcrafted was on the forums back then, but it may have been in the old "In the Kitchen" days -- a subforum on the Knife Forums.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what is on my wall. The amount of power is excellent, no fear of knives falling off and still easy to grab a knife.
My only (minor) complaint is some rotational spots.
(2 are from 2012 and one from 2018)
What do you mean by ‘rotational spots’? I’ve never had a knife rack, price are good on these.

What do you mean by ‘rotational spots’? I’ve never had a knife rack, price are good on these.
There are a couple of locations where the knife can rotate around a spot (a magnet I guess ;) ) a bit.

Update: quick video.

That opinel bread knife is pretty convex on the right side

Last edited:
Back