Favorite Ginsan gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up a Tanaka Ginsan from K&S. Very light and laser like. I didn’t know what to expect when I got it, but when it arrived I became very impressed. One of the sharpest knives I’ve ever received. I had to pry it out of the cutting board upon first use. Love the stainless non maintainence. For 200 bucks this blows away something like a kono HD in my opinion.

I have the K&S Tanaka Ginsan 210 also.It is a wonderful knife ,light and laser like but my 210 En Ginsanko from JKI is even lighter and thinner without being overly fragile.The tip is also thinner but not so paper thin that one would have to worry unless they were a klutz.

Tanaka Ginsan Najishi is also my only ginsanko knife. I like it a lot but I am curious whether anyone has compared its sharpening feel (as a surrogate marker for heat treatment I guess) to some of the other knives mentioned here?

I don’t get the Tanaka ginsan nashiji being a laser remarks???

Mine weighs almost 210g (both the ginsan and b2 versions) and has a significant middleweight size spine. Sure it’s laser thin behind the edge with it’s hollow grind wide bevel and high shoulder line and It does cut almost like a laser. Still...

I have several lasers like the Takamure R2 or Shiro Kamo B2 migaki etc. and I really wouldn’t put the Tanaka ginsan nashiji in the same category as those. It’s squarely in the middleweight class IMO.

Don’t get me wrong I’m a fan and love it. Wonderful no nonsence food destroyer with some serious talent.

Now, I also have the Tanaka ginsan migaki version which treads slightly in the laser territory, but it’s a complitely different knife.

my yoshihiro western is great but only after i did a ton of work on it including regrinding which was painful process lol. out of the box what it comes with is a good profile and steel, it's mono!!

Same with the Kono MM, which has a ~3mm spine. Its not a laser, but its very thin behind the edge.

Mine weighs almost 210g (both the ginsan and b2 versions) and has a significant middleweight size spine. Sure it’s laser thin behind the edge with it’s hollow grind wide bevel and high shoulder line and It does cut almost like a laser. Still...

I have several lasers like the Takamure R2 or Shiro Kamo B2 migaki etc. and I really wouldn’t put the Tanaka ginsan nashiji in the same category as those. It’s squarely in the middleweight class IMO.

Don’t get me wrong I’m a fan and love it. Wonderful no nonsence food destroyer with some serious talent.

Now, I also have the Tanaka ginsan migaki version which treads slightly in the laser territory, but it’s a complitely different knife.
True,I had misspoken about the Tanaka.I guess I was just trying to say something to Chicago's statement but no,it is not a laser but a middle class in and of itself. I don't own a true laser and the En Ginsanko 210 is my really,the only knife I consider,my laser, because of it's light weight and thinness.
Oops,got to go because Jon just sent me something to go with my En Gisanko 210 and I need to open the USPS box right now.I think it might even be the big brother to the 210.How much you want to bet?

AH TKS, Not sure how I missed those.

I've got the Fuiji Kono's in 210/240. The 240 is in ultra-laser category, the core is exposed almost 1 cm up the wide bevel. The 210 is actually 200, thicker at the spine with more pronounced taper. Its the only ginsanko I have but the sharpness compares with AEBL and RWL-34.

For edge retention, where would you put ginsan? Any close comparisons. I know heat treat and hardness come to play so please include the maker of that specific ginsan blade.

Matt, I'd say there all very close honestly. My WS Meij Kramer SG2 edge last longer than the others, but its also 64hrc.

I have to say it again, the best stainless steel I have or have ever used is a Chef Choice Trizor Chef knife. Some of us think the steel is really CM-154 but it will hold an edge forever.

Sorry off point, I'd say good for stainless, not as long as semi-stainless and not as long a powdered stainless.

The older Metal Master Tanaka Nashiji Ginsan tall bevels were beefier behind the edge and the Nashiji finish was rougher. They were nice blades cut well and were durable.

The Ginsan Tanaka's from K&S are more refined with thinner tall bevels again very good cutters for the price. My experience with Tanaka's quality heat treatments Ginsan, Blue#2, and VG10 .

We get a little spoiled splitting hairs on which steel is best. Grind is important too. Bottom line is Ginsan is a very good semi stainless steel well suited for kitchen knives. Good edge retention and easy to sharpen.

Edge retention of powder steels like R2 and SRS15 maybe slightly better than G3

For edge retention, where would you put ginsan? Any close comparisons. I know heat treat and hardness come to play so please include the maker of that specific ginsan blade.

Ginsan touches up easily which is the strong point of the steel.
Think white steel in a similar configuration and thats about right.

I think that there is some risk to conflate G3 with White2,
however, so don't go that far.

Great question! Because we've know they've sold, so come on peeps and spill the beans

I’ve got a 270 suji. It’s tall enough to use for general duty so I have, but it’s hard to compare to gyuto. Also I don’t really know enough about steel or have broad enough experience with ginsan to evaluate it in that regard, but the Mazaki geometry is amazing and it’s a fabulous knife in a general sense.

I'd be really interested to hear if you or anyone may also have a white-steel mazaki and how the two steels compare in a simple head to head.

Last edited:
I’d be interested in hearing more about how the new maz from jns with charcoal(quenching?) is different from other mazaki knives.
AFIK Mazaki does all his own work, so it might yield more interesting results in terms of comparison of the steel.
Konosuke or Kagekiyo doesn't really compare head to head with blue vs ginsan versions.

Any more impressions on the JKI En?
Jon's description of the knife is spot on on his website.I haven't been prepping to many meals lately though as the farm chores have been taking up much of my time. I will say this though. i have both the 210 and the 240 laying out on the cutting board to use and my knife block with all my other knives are pushed off to the side because I have been reaching for my En's more.The 210 balances right at my pinch grip and feels really light in hand.The 240 balances just in front of the pinch grip which gives the blade a more substantial feel. Both are a pleasure to use however and I go back and forth between them depending on what I am cutting or if my board is cluttered or not. I believe they are the lightest feeling knives I own and they have made me rethink wanting to get a more laser like knife because I fear I would hurt it.These En's are just light and thin enough for me and in a steel that I don't have to worry about reactivity when I am in a" hurry and get her done", frame of mind.For the money,I don't think you can go wrong.I think I made a good choice myself.

Jon's description of the knife is spot on on his website.I haven't been prepping to many meals lately though as the farm chores have been taking up much of my time. I will say this though. i have both the 210 and the 240 laying out on the cutting board to use and my knife block with all my other knives are pushed off to the side because I have been reaching for my En's more.The 210 balances right at my pinch grip and feels really light in hand.The 240 balances just in front of the pinch grip which gives the blade a more substantial feel. Both are a pleasure to use however and I go back and forth between them depending on what I am cutting or if my board is cluttered or not. I believe they are the lightest feeling knives I own and they have made me rethink wanting to get a more laser like knife because I fear I would hurt it.These En's are just light and thin enough for me and in a steel that I don't have to worry about reactivity when I am in a" hurry and get her done", frame of mind.For the money,I don't think you can go wrong.I think I made a good choice myself.

Thanks, what's the profile like?

Thanks, what's the profile like?
To be honest,there isn't much of a flat spot throughout.It is more like a continual slight curve with maybe a hint of a flat spot running for about 2 inches from the heel but even that is a very gradual curve to a belly.I don't use these knives as a chopper but more like push and pull cutting.They are light enough to have complete control of.If you like a lot of flat spot for chopping,these are not it.I knew that going in because you can pretty much view the profile on the JKI website if you want to have a look see and get a better idea.

To be honest,there isn't much of a flat spot throughout.It is more like a continual slight curve with maybe a hint of a flat spot running for about 2 inches from the heel but even that is a very gradual curve to a belly.I don't use these knives as a chopper but more like push and pull cutting.They are light enough to have complete control of.If you like a lot of flat spot for chopping,these are not it.I knew that going in because you can pretty much view the profile on the JKI website if you want to have a look see and get a better idea.
Perfect, just what I wanted to know, thanks.

my yoshihiro western is great but only after i did a ton of work on it including regrinding which was painful process lol. out of the box what it comes with is a good profile and steel, it's mono!!

Panda, if you were to do it again what stones would you use?
What is the profile like?
Thanks

Oh ok,in that case,I most recently bought the En Ginsanko in 210 mm from JKI. I like using it so much that I just ordered the En Ginsanko in 240 mm from them as well.I'll get to see it on Friday.Dog gone nice knife.I haven't had it long enough to speak to anything like edge retention or sharpening. I am still cutting with the out of box edge etc.
Any long term follow up on the En?
These are back in stock now.

Last edited:
I bought a tanaka ginsan for my first japanese knife and I loved it. I definitely felt scared of “hurting it” always self-conscious about chipping it. Unfortunately I ended up leaving my knife bag on the bus and lost it along with other kitchen tools. Barely had it a few months 😭 Now I’m currently looking at the En-ginsanko as it was one of the knives Jon recommended but I see that it doesn’t have as much of a flat spot and its width is even thinner from the middle and the tip so it may not be the best option for me. I do push and pull cutting but it would be nice to be able to use also as a chopper. Any other Ginsan recommendations or is the tanaka best option for me at $250 or less?

Back