Favorite honesuki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choppuchoppu

Reaction score
I have been really interested in picking one of these unique little guys up but wanted to know what the community's favorite honesukis are.

I see many people like single beveled Heiji, planned to buy one but settled for a larger petty. Hatsukokoro also have some single bevel honesuki. On the cheaper side Kanehide Semi stainless or the one sold by JKI.
Those heijis look nice, I always regret not picking up the single bevel yoshikane white 2 honesuki when I had the chance

If you want to extend to custom makers, AEB-L, 52100 are also great, maybe ShiHan can do something in A2 too. Tho that would cost alot.
I have yet to dabble with western makers but I have only heard great things about shihan

I'd probably recommend getting a cheaper one first (sub-$200ish) rather than jumping straight to a custom maker. The reason being is that if you've never used one, the profile can be a bit polarizing. As a butcher, I used several 150mm honesuki and never liked them, the heels were always too short and too close to my fingers when putting down and picking up the knife repeatedly. Basically felt like a downgrade on a regular western boning knife. Then I tried a larger 180mm garasuki and fell in love.

The Kanehide honesuki is usually $60-70 USD and I actually really like their semi-stainless steel for butchery. They aren't the prettiest things in the world, but the steel itself sharpens very easily and is very aggressive even off a higher grit stone. I have a couple of Kanehide knives that have processed thousands of chickens.

Misono is pretty consistent, so I'm sure it would be perfectly suitable. Personally, I would probably opt for the 165mm especially if you think you might use it for more than just chicken.

I don't understand the idea of stainless boning knives(honesuki) unless you plan on using it for vegi's. I've had my W1 single bevel for a few years now, no problems, to me you want a easy to sharpen simple carbon steel. I've been Jonesing for this one for a while (left handed), I just don't know if I can trust Hocho, mixed reviews.

I don't understand the idea of stainless boning knives(honesuki) unless you plan on using it for vegi's. I've had my W1 single bevel for a few years now, no problems, to me you want a easy to sharpen simple carbon steel. I've been Jonesing for this one for a while (left handed), I just don't know if I can trust Hocho, mixed reviews.

Yep, you 100% don't need stainless for boning knives unless you're throwing them in a sink for a long time, since steel doesn't really react with raw blood and fat. All mine are carbon, barring the two Kanehides. I use my carbon boning knives to cut meat without any problem or 4-5 hrs easy, and for sure longer than that (although the health department has it's own opinions, and some animal processing plants don't allow carbon).

The Kanehide semi-stainless option is just a price point thing, and honestly, I think the steel sharpens as almost easily as any carbon. Maybe a tiny bit less good to use on sharpening steels if that's what you prefer to utilize for touch-ups, but it also stays sharper longer than simple carbons.

I've had one of those Kanehide semi-stainless ones. I have been looking at a new, "better" ones and just haven't been able to replace it. It was cheap, does a great job and I only break down like 2 birds a month. If I used it more, maybe I could justify a new one but for getting your feet wet, it's been a great knife

I've had a Hattori honesuki for years and really like it. The handle is exceptionally comfortable and doesn't get slippery.

The steel is vg10, which is much maligned around here, but I have no problems with it (I can sharpen it just fine, and it doesn't chip - good enough for me!). I'd prefer carbon because I like patina, but for pure function, the vg10 works fine.

It's single bevel, which I consider essential for such a knife and I don't think a double bevel petty is a substitute.

Finally, the spine is squared off at 90 degrees, which is great for scraping meat off the bone.

All said, I highly recommend it, but it is pricy.

My experience is based on N=1 (Carbonext honesuki), but largely aligns with what others said here:
-Carbon or semistainless are both great; you can go stainless but with proteins there's never really any particular reactivity issues
-Though it's possible to do chicken butchering in a way that always keeps your knife hand clean, that's not necessarily easy or faster for someone who only does occasional chicken butchery...so as a result:
-I really prefer western style handles with either stabilized wood or even plastic if need be. Having a bolster makes sure there's no ingress of chicken juice from the front of the handle. Easier to clean / sanitize without worrying about mucking up your fancy wood, and it feels more hygienic (though that might be entirely unfounded nonsense that's just in my head).
-I really prefer a sharp spine (so NOT rounded) on butchering knives since it means you can scrape with the spine. I would consider a rounded spine on a honesuki a defect.
-In the end they are good at poultry, and you could do other boning work with them, but that's all they're really good for. So that's another argument for leaning towards 'cheaper utilitarian stuff'. Unelss you have an infinite knife budget I'd rather spend most of it on knives I can do every day.
-For the same reason I don't see a major reason to invest in a honesuki made in a very fancy steel unless you really process such volumes that you actually take advantage of it. But for most home users it'll be an 'every now and then' knife.
-I have mine sharpened at basically a 99/1 angle. I don't know whether a true single bevel version would really make it work any better, but I never felt limited by not having one.
-The 2 biggest advantages to using a honesuki for me are A: I really like the agile tip (better than western boning knife IMO), and B: ease of sharpening (due to the straight profile).
-That being said a honesuki does nothing that you couldn't also do just about as well with any cheap western boning knife or even a cheap paring knife (as long as it's sharp). Chicken butchery is all about understanding the anatomy. If you understand the anatomy you can do it even with a box cutter or a pair of scissors. If you don't understand the anatomy, a honesuki won't fix that.

MSC Honesuki.jpg

@MSicardCutlery in 52100 and fully sealed cherry handle. At 165mm this one is a little longer than most common commercial offerings which tend to be around 150 but I wanted a little more versatility as I also like to break down turkeys.

My Masakane has been sitting in it's box ever since this one landed. I love it.

I used to want to collect a few honesuki. Just love the idea of them. But, this guy kinda put the damper on that notion. I do have a Toyama honesuki as my current screen background cuz it is sexy but the fire to get another has really dimmed. And I'm totally okay with that!

:)

Moritaka as has been a very enjoyable honesuki for me. I only dipped my toes recently in the last year and use it for chicken…

-I have mine sharpened at basically a 99/1 angle. I don't know whether a true single bevel version would really make it work any better, but I never felt limited by not having one.
-The 2 biggest advantages to using a honesuki for me are A: I really like the agile tip (better than western boning knife IMO), and B: ease of sharpening (due to the straight profile).
-That being said a honesuki does nothing that you couldn't also do just about as well with any cheap western boning knife or even a cheap paring knife (as long as it's sharp). Chicken butchery is all about understanding the anatomy. If you understand the anatomy you can do it even with a box cutter or a pair of scissors. If you don't understand the anatomy, a honesuki won't fix that.

Yeah, if I'm not using just a normal western boning knife for chicken, I tend to use a curved Kanehide knife that I have sharpened around 95/5. I do have a true single bevel Toyama garasuki which I love, but in practice there isn't really a difference in use. (Off topic, but single and 95/5-ish types of bevels are great for skinning entire pork bellies if the spine isn't too thick. Set that ura/flatter side up against the underside of the skin and they're just scalpels.)

Your last point is a good one too, and one I've repeated often. There is a reason that cheap, simple steel, semi-flexible boning knives are so pervasive, albeit boring. I can do anything from chicken, to lamb, to pork, to beef with a boning knife and some combination of saw, cleaver, and gravity.

I ended up with a Masahiro SK, and a Gesshin Ginga, though i was aiming for a Misono Swedish, the BST gods decided i needed the Gesshin at a great price.

I could do with just the Masahiro easily, but why have 1 specialized knife, when you can have 2!

Kind out of topic, but there are lots of opinions on using Deba on poultry. Personally I would prefer petty for the job but those guys seems comfortable with it, tho they seems to using it on boneless pieces

I currently use a shark tooth 180mm Deba (Ktip) for breaking down poultry, it works pretty well although I find it difficult to debone the legs cleanly and quickly.

My experience is based on N=1 (Carbonext honesuki), but largely aligns with what others said here:
-Carbon or semistainless are both great; you can go stainless but with proteins there's never really any particular reactivity issues
-Though it's possible to do chicken butchering in a way that always keeps your knife hand clean, that's not necessarily easy or faster for someone who only does occasional chicken butchery...so as a result:
-I really prefer western style handles with either stabilized wood or even plastic if need be. Having a bolster makes sure there's no ingress of chicken juice from the front of the handle. Easier to clean / sanitize without worrying about mucking up your fancy wood, and it feels more hygienic (though that might be entirely unfounded nonsense that's just in my head).
-I really prefer a sharp spine (so NOT rounded) on butchering knives since it means you can scrape with the spine. I would consider a rounded spine on a honesuki a defect.
-In the end they are good at poultry, and you could do other boning work with them, but that's all they're really good for. So that's another argument for leaning towards 'cheaper utilitarian stuff'. Unelss you have an infinite knife budget I'd rather spend most of it on knives I can do every day.
-For the same reason I don't see a major reason to invest in a honesuki made in a very fancy steel unless you really process such volumes that you actually take advantage of it. But for most home users it'll be an 'every now and then' knife.
Sounds like

Spoken like a true professional, thank you for the tips

Back