Favorite kitchen shoes?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Gilmartin

Reaction score
After wearing through a pair of sanita clogs in like 5 months, I bought a other pair and added a pair of Vans as backup/paperwork day shoes. Anyone have any other favorites? I've tried so many and end up hating them all...

I'm not a pro cook so take this with a grain of salt. Anyway, I have to wear slip resistant shoes to work and I use treadsafe from walmart. The trainer style ones. They are cheap and comfy but they wear out quickly (about every quarter) for me. So I go through 3-4 pair a year.

Regardless, for me, shoes are like jeans. When they are starting to get comfortable it is about time to throw them away...

I used to like the Mozo not the clogs but they are now shoe for crew and all their stuff is different. Keen are not bad although they are more boot then shoe. Shoes are the hardest thing to recommend cause everyone is so different.

I used to like the Mozo not the clogs but they are now shoe for crew and all their stuff is different. Keen are not bad although they are more boot then shoe. Shoes are the hardest thing to recommend cause everyone is so different.
Agreed. I am kinda limping the vans for now, but I know they're gonna wear out in no time...and they could he a little better slip resistant

The Mozo work for me. I buy their nurse4s's shoe - in black. They're the only ones I've found avail in wide.

The Mozo work for me. I buy their nurse4s's shoe - in black. They're the only ones I've found avail in wide.
That's why I switched away from dansko. I dont have especially wide feet, but they became too narrow and didnt stretch

I have tried pretty much every no slip work boot/shoe on the planet. For my broken crooked burnt flat feet these are the best. SAS (San Antonio Shoes) Guardian.

https://www.sasshoes.com/mens-guardian/2110.html

They look like something straight out of a geriatric facility, but they get the job done. Keep your feet comfortable through long shifts. A little expensive, but they last longer than anything else I have tried as well. I replace them about every 15 months. My feet wear shoes unevenly, so as soon as the non-slip gets a bald spot, I move on. They're available from all of the usual online shoe outlets.

I have tried pretty much every no slip work boot/shoe on the planet. For my broken crooked burnt flat feet these are the best. SAS (San Antonio Shoes) Guardian.

https://www.sasshoes.com/mens-guardian/2110.html

They look like something straight out of a geriatric facility, but they get the job done. Keep your feet comfortable through long shifts. A little expensive, but they last longer than anything else I have tried as well. I replace them about every 15 months. My feet wear shoes unevenly, so as soon as the non-slip gets a bald spot, I move on. They're available from all of the usual online shoe outlets.
Thanks for the tip. I am not gonna lie, tho...those are not good-looking shoes!

Thanks for the tip. I am not gonna lie, tho...those are not good-looking shoes!

Yeah. Comfort over fashion. They are basically orthopedic work boots for people with foot problems, diabetics, old folks, etc. But they work great for anyone who has to be on their feet all day. My cooks usually balk at the cost and then end up replacing their shoes for crews 4 or 5 times a year and complain that their feet hurt all the time.

Yeah. Comfort over fashion. They are basically orthopedic work boots for people with foot problems, diabetics, old folks, etc. But they work great for anyone who has to be on their feet all day. My cooks usually balk at the cost and then end up replacing their shoes for crews 4 or 5 times a year and complain that their feet hurt all the time.
Hey, I got all them things - I'm way out of warranty.[emoji41]

100 years ago I shot a lot of tournament skeet, and wore SAS back then. Fugly but comfortable.

The running happens when **** hits the fan and I’ve gotta jump off the food truck hehe.

I m not a chef, but on my feet 10 hrs a day. Recently developed plantar fasciitis, which is very painful. Have tried multiple shoes, inserts etc. Found Oofos clogs, and I cannot believe how comfortable they are. Synthetic rubber clogs, feel like walking on a memory foam mattress, but with arch support. 56 bucks, my cheapest pair of shoes. Can’t comment on durability, but they are so comfortable I’d be willing to buy a pair a month for the pain relief! They put dansko, stegman and Birkenstock’s, as well as many other shoes I’ve owned into the far dark recesses of my closet.

People really liked Dansko clogs, which for my feet were the ****ing worst. I ended up happiest with the Birkenstock kitchen clogs, tossed a pair of $30usd insoles in them and never looked back while I was still working in kitchens. If you're on your feet any amount of money spent towards staying comfortable is worthwhile.

People really liked Dansko clogs, which for my feet were the ****ing worst. I ended up happiest with the Birkenstock kitchen clogs, tossed a pair of $30usd insoles in them and never looked back while I was still working in kitchens. If you're on your feet any amount of money spent towards staying comfortable is worthwhile.
I like birks when I was younger, but I couldnt not scuff my feet in them while I walked and that pissed off my chef at the time to no end

Not a pro chef but as a man who wears shoes at least 12-16 hours a day:
1) Cheap shoes (at least the times I made an effort) are expensive in the long run
2) Birkenstock's may be pricey but I agree with SeattleBen (not used clogs but their shoes or sandals are perfect fit)
3) GT1 from chauddevant are like glue on wet floors, very comfy but I don't know if water tends to get through the top if you have slim ankles.
4) Columbia has shoes that are very grippy and and water repellent.

Not a pro chef but as a man who wears shoes at least 12-16 hours a day:
1) Cheap shoes (at least the times I made an effort) are expensive in the long run
2) Birkenstock's may be pricey but I agree with SeattleBen (not used clogs but their shoes or sandals are perfect fit)
3) GT1 from chauddevant are like glue on wet floors, very comfy but I don't know if water tends to get through the top if you have slim ankles.
4) Columbia has shoes that are very grippy and and water repellent.

It's a bit funny how much I love birkenstocks now. My position has changed 180 degrees since I was a punk rock kids growing up in Olympia in the 90's and any whiff of hippie stuff sent me the other way. Their kitchen clogs don't have the same foot bed so you're able to send them through the dishwasher at the end of the shift but you definitely need to swap the insole out after a while.

I currently live most my life in Danner work boots and they're expensive at my salary and might be prohibitively so as a kitchen guy. But they're great and I wouldn't be without them. But to find that out I had to go through close to a grand in other boots to get there.

I'll reiterate that there's no amount of money that one could spend too get into comfortable footwear. If you are going to be on your feet at all it's totally worth every penny, even if it's $400 dollar custom boots or $30 crocs.

It's a bit funny how much I love birkenstocks now. My position has changed 180 degrees since I was a punk rock kids growing up in Olympia in the 90's and any whiff of hippie stuff sent me the other way.
We are on the same page here (well I was not so fun of punk style and definitely did not grow up in Olympia).
Preferences have changed, being in my early 40's now, but I still have not regretted a single penny I spent on 3 pair's of Allen Edmonds nearly 10 years back.
Ok, AE are considered entry level high quality but based on my income even these were over the top. Plus they have as option an amazing leather insole.

Strange how this quote from Benjamin Franklin has been in use several times for me in the last few days.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

+1 SAS Guardian. I bit the bullet because of this post. Now I enthusiastically recommend this shoe for professionals.

Back