Favorite kitchen shoes?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a cheap very comfortable option: STICO clogs
Expensive long lasting option: Belleville hot weather gortex sided USMC boots, I get about 3 years from each pair.
I second that with STICO! My school mainly sold STICO as mid range and as with many students, I also bought the STICO. It's very light, has very good grips, and easy to wash. The problem was the grooves wear out very quickly. It lasted me 2.5 years. Now I'm using Profi Birkie which I got for free, but I hate it. It's so heavy and while the length fit me, the height doesn't so it puts a strain towards my awkward toes positioning to keep the clogs on my feet.
I used to complain about my mom dragging her feet/shoes whenever she walks, but now I have to drag my clogs at work and the scrapping sound it makes on the floor is so annoying. But these things can last forever. My chef has them for 7 years and it's still going.

Spring Step Blaine Clog 80$
WAYYYY more comfortable than birkenstock

Bringing back the shoe thread. Can‘t remember if it was in this thread or another one, but someone recommended Belleville USMC desert boots; I was at a wood fire restaurant at the time and that seemed like a very smart solution. Found out about Superfeet insoles and started with those too. Unfortunately the Marine boots gave me back pain even with superfeet ; maybe because they were designed for natural surfaces? I went back to the mozos, which are still the only shoes that are comfortable for me in the long run, but I’m sick of them wearing out. Tried a different style but those don’t run wide enough. I’m going to grab a pair of naot Bjorne and sika birchwood and see how that goes; anybody come up with any good recs lately?

Yeah I like Mozos too, went through 4 pairs…unfortunately I got tired of buying a new pair every 10 months. For lace ups maybe the new balance have a better lifespan? I know lots of people that like them. Not sure how I feel about a running shoe aesthetic for the kitchen.
Been wearing the Birkenstock Tokyo super grips and I recommend them. The leather straps keep your feet in place unlike most clogs

Yeah I like Mozos too, went through 4 pairs…unfortunately I got tired of buying a new pair every 10 months. For lace ups maybe the new balance have a better lifespan? I know lots of people that like them. Not sure how I feel about a running shoe aesthetic for the kitchen.
Been wearing the Birkenstock Tokyo super grips and I recommend them. The leather straps keep your feet in place unlike most clogs
My FOH manager used to wear the normal Tokyo and would come into the kitchen to grab stuff quite often. This was before we changed up the floor to nonslip material but boy was he like being in an ice skating rink with that! 🤣 Didn't know they started making them with super grip! That's good to know.

Being in Australia, I haven't been able to find any good looking nonslip shoes... So I just stick with clogs. Usually goes a little something like this: Crocs for kitchen -> Stico (very comfortable but wears out quickly) -> Profi Birki -> and then all the big shots wear Birki Boston because they're like AU$270 and always out of stock.

How do you keep water out from your Tokyo when doing the floors? I use Profi which has a back and still manage to get some water in when we're rushing to close...

Tokyo super grips are legit. The grooves in the treads aren’t quite as deep as the Birkenstock professionals but they are a lot more comfortable and the upper will last for a long long time

This isn’t new but I am an sas guy. I tried literally every shoe in this thread plus some and sas is the current champ for me. Everyone’s feet are so different not to mention how you work and carry yourself. I used to like Mozo before they sold out. I also liked keen and honestly still like keen. I’ll still keep an eye for a new better option… oh and I got a new balance arishi I keep in my trunk but I hated them. The new balance breathable fabric is useless and they are way over priced for how cheaply they are made. I wish I could buy ultra boost with non slip bottom and leather upper. I also have non slip London and personally mostly prefer them when I’m not running around. Like standing on the line great. Cooking on two floors and running trash no thanks. But they hold up well and you can resole them.

This isn’t new but I am an sas guy. I tried literally every shoe in this thread plus some and sas is the current champ for me. Everyone’s feet are so different not to mention how you work and carry yourself. I used to like Mozo before they sold out. I also liked keen and honestly still like keen. I’ll still keep an eye for a new better option… oh and I got a new balance arishi I keep in my trunk but I hated them. The new balance breathable fabric is useless and they are way over priced for how cheaply they are made. I wish I could buy ultra boost with non slip bottom and leather upper. I also have non slip London and personally mostly prefer them when I’m not running around. Like standing on the line great. Cooking on two floors and running trash no thanks. But they hold up well and you can resole them.
Which SAS model do you like and what do you like about them? I do really like my Tokyo super grip but I wouldn’t mind a pair of lace ups that won’t fall apart in 6-8 months

Absolute game changer (atleast for me). Zero drop light weight wide toe box non slip.
Wore them to work tonight. Early impressions are really good.
https://xeroshoes.com/shop/shoes/prio-all-day-men/

Wait wait wait wait, wait a minute here. Laces? As in you’ll need to tie/untie these every time? I feel like we’re going backwards here.

But in all seriousness, how non-slip are they actually?

Wait wait wait wait, wait a minute here. Laces? As in you’ll need to tie/untie these every time? I feel like we’re going backwards here.

But in all seriousness, how non-slip are they actually?
Shoes for crews tier non slip. Check out the treads photo in the link.

Shoes for crews tier non slip. Check out the treads photo in the link.
I saw their chevron pattern non-slip in the link. But was just curious if they were successful at being non-slip. I’ve tried several other shoes that claimed non-slip, but lots of them were like being on ice when it came time to traverse the dish area.

I saw their chevron pattern non-slip in the link. But was just curious if they were successful at being non-slip. I’ve tried several other shoes that claimed non-slip, but lots of them were like being on ice when it came time to traverse the dish area.
After over a week of use I’d say they are pretty non slip-not sure they’re as non slip as shoes for crews so I should probably amend that statement.
Still very lightweight essentially a non slip leather slipper with wide toe box one could wear for work which is what I’m into.

Hey, just wanted to throw my 10 pence in and cast a vote for Merrells. They do an ultralight pair with non slip and a steel toe-cap that were absolutely perfect for the last 2 years. They're dead now and there's no option to get them in the EU any more, so I've been using a pair of Pumas with decent ankle support.

I can't do clogs and I've only worked one place where they would've been acceptable to wear. Maybe just my bubble though.

Not kitchen but love Merrells for hiking. Tried other shoes. Merrells have wide toe good for down hill hiking. They are comfortable & have good grip in tricky conditions in Hawaii.
Stepping on rocks stream crossing, climbing & descending ridge trails.

Bought a pair of Redbacks for casual use, tried them on once at the beginning of this season and never looked back.
-comfy
-My ankle doesn't roll (Dansko)
-There is a safety version if the workplace requires it
-More slip-free than my usual sketchers
-slip-on
-easy care + relatively waterproof
-built to last

Only problem is the price, maybe these might be overkill for some places

My Xero Prios are starting to die but overall I felt like they were worth it if you’re into zero drop wide toe box non slip slippers essentially.
https://xeroshoes.com/shop/shoes/prio-all-day-men/Not sure if I’m ready to buy another pair or if their is something else out there with a wide toe box (which is a must for me)
The Merrels do look nice and durable

My Xero Prios are starting to die but overall I felt like they were worth it if you’re into zero drop wide toe box non slip slippers essentially.
https://xeroshoes.com/shop/shoes/prio-all-day-men/Not sure if I’m ready to buy another pair or if their is something else out there with a wide toe box (which is a must for me)
The Merrels do look nice and durable
Half sizes in Redbacks are extra width, at least EEE

You might get some funny looks in the kitchen but I'm on my feet all day and these are the best damn work boots I've ever had. Whether inside industrial facilities with grease/lubricant etc on floors, asphalt, or natural surfaces. Redwing would love to sell you on their custom soles with the fancy foot-scanning machine but I've been really happy with the stock insoles. Flat feet so I've spent 10 years looking for boots that are actually decent to stand in all day. They make a softoe version as well. My first wedge sole and I find it better on man-made surfaces than a heeled boot, and all the anti-slip specs will work well for a kitchen.

https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/mens/waterproof/Traction-Tred-02415.html
I don't know why the Irish Setter version is so much cheaper. They're owned by Redwing and I've liked their boots in the past, though haven't tried this one in particular.

https://www.irishsetterboots.com/wo...3R2HfCkOYvqClmW2nbheBLabRfk07BKoaAmFhEALw_wcB

Decided to go with these Birchburys.
https://birchbury.com/pages/bramford

This Rose Avril video convinced me they were worth checking out. My only concern is whether or not they’re “non slip” enough.

Quick update: wore these for a couple of weeks and I’m pretty impressed. The non slip is fine and on par with what you’d expect. The leather itself is of fine quality as explained in the video I attached. This comes through in the feel when wearing and visually it’s noticeable that these are clearly much nicer than ANY other leather that’s used for kitchen shoes.
I wear barefoot styled shoes often outside of work (vivobarefoot Xero etc etc) and these do not have the same level of ground feel meaning there is a bit more stack height. Still feel close to the ground but certainly no slipper feeling. Toe box has plenty of room.
I would definitely recommend for anyone that’s looking for professional looking lightweight work shoes.
Website recommends sizing up if you’re a half size and they were right.

I do like Tokyo Supergrips however I found the straps even at the tightest setting wasn’t quite tight enough to stay secure on my feet so I just cut an even tighter hole to secure. For the most part they do solve the problem that clogs have with being too loose on your feet. Treads wear out a lot faster than reg Birkenstock professional but the cork sole is a lot more comfortable once broken in too.

Latest posts

Back