Favorite Master-Sharpeners

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know so much about the specifics of Japanese sharpeners, but I have handled quite a few various things and sometimes a the grind / sharpening just blows me away even if the knife is quite blunt. I don't really know how to describe it, but if something's been very well done originally then there's something special about it.

The best I've had or used would be, in no particular order: Shibata, Kippington, Kato, Shigefusa, Toyama. And obviously the latter three are probably not going to have been sharpened by their namesakes (I assume...?)
I'm not sure either but isn't Toyama a one man operation?

I don't know so much about the specifics of Japanese sharpeners, but I have handled quite a few various things and sometimes a the grind / sharpening just blows me away even if the knife is quite blunt. I don't really know how to describe it, but if something's been very well done originally then there's something special about it.

The best I've had or used would be, in no particular order: Shibata, Kippington, Kato, Shigefusa, Toyama. And obviously the latter three are probably not going to have been sharpened by their namesakes (I assume...?)
Kippington is Jules' brand name, Shigefusa is a brand name, Tokifusa Lizuka is the main guy behind it. Toyama and Kato (his brand is actually Yoshikai Fujiwara, no really widely used in the froum probably not to confuse with TF) probably does their blade, at least the JNS videos indicts so.

Kippington is Jules' brand name, Shigefusa is a brand name, Tokifusa Lizuka is the main guy behind it. Toyama and Kato (his brand is actually Yoshikai Fujiwara, no really widely used in the froum probably not to confuse with TF) probably does their blade, at least the JNS videos indicts so.

Ah it sounds like I was assuming some of these operations are a little larger than they actually are. I knew Jules and Takayuki S would have done their own, but I kinda assumed there might be a small team of underlings / apprentices for the others.

Ah it sounds like I was assuming some of these operations are a little larger than they actually are. I knew Jules and Takayuki S would have done their own, but I kinda assumed there might be a small team of underlings / apprentices for the others.
Of these, Shibata is probably the most likely to have a team of underlings given his high output (he sharpens a bunch of other TKV and Masakage knives I believe)

Of these, Shibata is probably the most likely to have a team of underlings given his high output (he sharpens a bunch of other TKV and Masakage knives I believe)

His output dropped off a cliff when he injured his hand last year, though. Stores were out of stock for months until he got back in the shop (at least for the Shibata-branded stuff, not sure about other lines).

His output dropped off a cliff when he injured his hand last year, though. Stores were out of stock for months until he got back in the shop (at least for the Shibata-branded stuff, not sure about other lines).
I tell ‘em I had to do it, it was part of the plan, to try to stop the fool jackin off by the hand.

People who I would say that deserves the title of master would be shinpei ino, hirotsugu tosa, nori igarashi, shotaro nomura, and of course, morihiro. These are the ones who have been sharpening the highest quality honyakis made by smiths such as Kenji togashi, yoshikazu ikeda, kenichi shiraki, and genkai Masakuni. Myojin and takada are up there too.

Back