Favorite Peppers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madelinez

Catcheside Fanatic
Reaction score
What are everyone's favorite peppers? I've been buying mine from a spice shop with a larger range lately so looking to try new interesting varieties.

Mine would be
-Mulato/Ancho (no heat but the flavor is incredible, I use these in combination with cayenne for Indian curries)
-Jalapeno (hard to beat the taste in salsas, dips and salads)
-Cayenne (Good flavor and heat, this is my primary pepper for adding heat)
-Kashmiri (Dried and then ground, it adds a really nice color and flavor for marinades)

Depends on what you like. For really hot, birds eye and habaneros. For something people can actually eat, jalapeños. I've used cayenne only in powdered form, and I've never tried Kashmiri. Seems like I need to work on that problem :)

One of my truly favourites: frigitello. They are mild enough to eat a whole bunch of them and still be able to taste whatever other food is on the plate.

I've never been a big fan of the habanero flavor, the citrus overtones come off as acrid to me (ignoring the high heat). I can't believe I haven't come across frigitello peppers before, they're on the list now! You should try some Mulato/Anchos for your next curry/stew even if it's not a Mexican dish, somehow it just works.

Hey, Michi beat me to it.

Habaneros - love that fruity taste, especially after taking the seeds and membranes out
Thai bird chiles - love the sharp quality of their heat

Also like a bunch of others... love guajillos in mole, mulatos/anchos are great too. Chipotle is a great flavor too. Then there is a whole list of lesser known peppers that I like, but let's leave it as above.

Well, being from New Mexico, I'm obligated to say that our green chiles are the world's best (Hatch is the most famous, but I typically buy from Soccoro or Lemitar, which are towns a bit further north in the rio grande valley. Specifically, I buy a hybrid variety called Mrs. Junie, which is a cross between the famous Big Jim and the spicier Sandia).

Also, I'm a big fan of habaneros. Just like Ian, I find that once you seed and de-membrain them, the sweetness really comes through. I'm decidedly not a fan of raw jalapeños, which I find too vegetal (I also don't like raw green peppers for the same reason).

I'm growing a bunch of peppers this year, like habaneros and peppers with names like Genghas Khans Brain, Rasputins Revenge, and Atomic Starfish (among many others). These are mostly for novelty and just to see if I can get them to grow in my sunroom.

It is early and I haven't had coffee yet so please bear with me, future edits likely

For fresh hot peppers I mostly use Jalapenos and Serranos but occasionally Thai peppers, Cherry Bombs, or Habaneros. It is largely an availability question since I don't grow peppers every year.
The list of dried peppers is longer:
Urfa Biber, this Turkish pepper isn't terribly hot but it has an unusual smokey, almost chocolatey flavor with some black tea and raisin notes.
Aleppo-style peppers, burgundy to bright red in contrast to the deep purplish Urfa Biber, slightly similar flavor profile and heat but more bright citrus notes and little to none of the chocolate and black tea notes. Grown in Turkey these days since the tragedy in Syria.
Spanish Paprika, I use both the sweet and hot versions, both smokey.
Kashmiri peppers, low to medium heat, bright red, fruity
Chile de Arbol, another often bright red dried pepper, typically fairly hot
Chipotle, dried, smokey, Jalapeno, low to medium heat
Ancho, dried, smokey, Poblano, low heat
Guajillo, another dried smokey chili, ballpark Jalapeno/Chipotle heat, but with brighter and sweeter notes.
Tien Tsin, IME the dried pepper most commonly found in Sichuan and Hunan cuisine at least in North America, moderately hot.

I've grown a number of other peppers over the years. Here in the not blazingly hot north I've found that hot peppers tend to do better in containers rather than in the ground. It could be a matter of sharper drainage but I rather suspect that higher root zone temperatures is the primary variable.

With all hot peppers you have to go by taste as the heat level is not all that predicable. The only time I've had significant chile "burns" on my hands was from handling fresh Poblanos which typically aren't all that hot. Growing conditions and plant genetics can make a significant difference as can freshness with dried chiles. The labeling on Asian dried chiles is also not entirely reliable IME.

Fresh varieties I like:

Jalapeno
Serrano
Hatch Green
Fresno

Dried I always have on hand:
guajillo
ancho
kashmiri
paprika both sweet, hot, and smoked
thai chillies
chipotle
red pepper flakes

I'll have more eventually, but need more pantry space for that to be a reality. I also enjoy pickled varieties, and usually have some in the fridge.

Dry: espellete, urfa, aleppo, cascabel, guajillo, arbol, kashimiri are what I tend to use the most.

Fresh chiles are one of my favorite things to grow. I really like mirasol and chilaca (fresh guajillo and pasilla), shishitos, gypsy, korean gochu, biquinho, aji varieties, anaheim types, eastern europe paprika varieties.

Wow, you guys are a lot more sophisticated than me. I use serrano and jalapeno in salsa, dried red Thai chilies in Thai and Chinese food, chili oil in chinese food, Fresno peppers in salads, canned enchilada sauce, and red pepper flakes on pizza.

My favorites are charred shishitos with merguez sausage. Other than that there are some local cubanelles that I really enjoy for making into jam and hot sauces.

I buy New Mexico peppers sometimes I get Hatch because our local grocery carries them other times I go to a vendor in Albuquerque I met when traveling there a lot and have him send me 40#'s of Extra Hot Green.

One note on habanero is that the orange has the most citrus flavor...try using reds but even a bit less than orange as they're a bit hotter...quite delicious once you find your use.

Personal favorites are:
Chocolate 7 pot (Douglah)
Fatali (yellow varietal)
Thai (most any varietal)

While all are pretty hot you can easily adjust by quantity (removing membrane and seeds too).

I would like Jalapenos except that the degree of hotness of the ones in the local stores is just all over the place, not predictable at all. They can be anywhere from an expected medium heat to something that's as mild as a green bell pepper. So I seldom buy them.

My favorite fresh chilies for medium heat are Serranos and Fresno chilies. Both are always predictable in heat level at the local stores where I buy them. I use the Serranos for recipes where they'll be minced for heat and flavor, and the Fresnos where they'll be thin-sliced as a garnish or stuffed and wrapped with bacon as an appetizer. Fresno chilies are basically what Jalapenos should be when they're hot enough, but with a nice red color.

For dried hot chilies I buy "Facing Heaven" Sichuan chilies from the online Mala Market. Great for making Hot Chili Oil, Gung Pao Chicken, Roasted Chili powder, or any of the dishes where you want a good, hot dried red chili flavor.

Aleppo pepper, Marash Pepper, Isot/Urfa Bibier, Piment d'Espellete, Pimento de la Vera, Hungarian Paprika, Cayenne, Gochugaru, Shichimi Togarashi, Kasmiri are my go-to for dried chilli/pepper.

Jalapeno, Serrano, Thai Bird's eye, Fresh Cayenne, Habanero/Scotch Bonnet, some Sweet mini pepper for colour are my go-to for fresh Chili heaven.

Then, there is a semi-processed pepper-like Aji Amarillo, Aji Panca, Chipotle, Sambal variety (from fake "Sambal Oelek" to Italian Calabrese Chili sauce) for a specific type of cuisine

I buy New Mexico peppers sometimes I get Hatch because our local grocery carries them other times I go to a vendor in Albuquerque I met when traveling there a lot and have him send me 40#'s of Extra Hot Green.
Just a quick note on New Mexico green chile. There are two main varieties: Big Jim and Sandia. Big Jim is what's mainly used for the green chile you find in restaurants. It's a huge chile, around 10-12 inches long and is thick and meaty, perfect for roasting. It's quite mild, as chiles go. Sandia is smaller (6 inches) and thinner. It's used a lot more to make red chile, which is made after drying the red chiles rather than roasting them when they're green. Sandias are spicier. When you buy extra hot green, you're almost certainly buying Sandia picked green (nothing wrong with that!). A nice trick is to buy half a sack of each and mix it together before roasting. You get the best of both worlds. Finally, if you can, buy your chile at the end of the season (beginning of October) when some of the chilies are starting to turn red. It adds one more layer of complexity that I really like.

Then, there is a semi-processed pepper-like Aji Amarillo, Aji Panca, Chipotle, Sambal variety (from fake "Sambal Oelek" to Italian Calabrese Chili sauce) for a specific type of cuisine

What do you mean by Semi-processed? I have an Aji Amarillo plant, and any knowledge/advise would be super helpful.

I would like Jalapenos except that the degree of hotness of the ones in the local stores is just all over the place, not predictable at all. They can be anywhere from an expected medium heat to something that's as mild as a green bell pepper. So I seldom buy them.

My favorite fresh chilies for medium heat are Serranos and Fresno chilies. Both are always predictable in heat level at the local stores where I buy them. I use the Serranos for recipes where they'll be minced for heat and flavor, and the Fresnos where they'll be thin-sliced as a garnish or stuffed and wrapped with bacon as an appetizer. Fresno chilies are basically what Jalapenos should be when they're hot enough, but with a nice red color.

For dried hot chilies I buy "Facing Heaven" Sichuan chilies from the online Mala Market. Great for making Hot Chili Oil, Gung Pao Chicken, Roasted Chili powder, or any of the dishes where you want a good, hot dried red chili flavor.
How has your experience with Mala Market been? They seem to have really good stuff, but their prices are also exceedingly high. I guess it's worth it for folks who don't have access to a good Chinese grocer, though.

Back