Favorite spoons.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my eye on a Lady Hamilton for a while, but I seldom quenelle as a home cook. Any my wife has warned me that "we have enough spoons." She hasn't said anything about knives though, so... I guess I should count myself lucky.

I sometimes get made fun of by FoH for having favorite house spoons for my station, but the right tool for the job is the right tool for the job. The restaurant I work in has all vintage/second hand cutlery and I've developed a pretty serious affinity to a couple of the spoons they have there. Every morning before service I grab them from dish stash them in a 9-pan on my station. I can't believe I've spent $1000+ on knives but still only have one nice spoon in my roll.

UA129_zoom.jpg

ruhlman spoons are p cool.

I like their balance in hand.

kunz are a little happier with quenelles tho.

The small Ruhlmans are my go-to tasting/whatever spoons. The large only get used for serving things. The medium spoons, which are roughly the size of the large Kunz spoon, don't seem to get a lot of use in my kitchen for some reason. I don't know why.

I like the big Kunz spoon a lot, but I only have one and that's all I seem to ever need. I also have a slotted version. The small one is basically just a normal spoon. I guess it's a nice spoon, but it's not got the power and potential of the big boy. The slotted version is nice to have. The CKTG Richmond spoons are supposed to be nearly identical and are much cheaper. The damascus Richmond spoon looks kind of cool but it weighs a million grams. A super thicc boi. Better for bludgeoning than for cooking. Also, the logo is silk screened on and it looks bad.

I picked up a couple more Gesturas recently when they were selling factory seconds. They're quite expensive, especially if you have to pay for shipping on top. But I've come to really like them. The main thing I like is the length, which can easily reach the bottom of a quart container. The slotted one is nice, but there's not a way to differentiate it from non-slotted ones if they're sitting in a bain or jar or whatever. The perforated Kunz spoons have a hole punched into the end of the handle so you can tell what's what.

Picked up some Lady Hamiltons too because I can't help myself. As I said, I seldom quenelle but these are fantastic spoons for that task. But frankly, they're my ice cream eating spoons. My wife likes them for that purpose too. The Lady Hamilton pattern has a ton of different sizes and purposes of spoons. Iced tea spoons. Gumbo spoons. Soup spoons. Tea spoons. Tablespoons. Baby spoons. Infant spoons. I'm going to pick up an iced tea spoon for myself and some baby/infant ones for my baby/infant.

I like spoons.

Gestura makes my favourite spoons, but I'm having really hard time to find some quenelles spoons in EU.

Gir discount code for free shipping on an order of $10 or more. Expires in 30 day.
SHIP357DNTVK
If used, please post as it’s one time only.

Spoonula & mini spoon are game changers!

I use a big spoon for dealing with mangoes... The handles are small for me, so I put a plain wooden handle on one, and for good measure , sharpened the back side on all edges... Not to Murray Carter sharp, put pretty good... Boy, that spoon is just magic on a mango. Works pretty nicely on avocados too.
Requires a little delicacy with technique, but really good in eliminating skins quickly.

noooooo, spoons, we've recently had dozens of different spoons pass through the house...none are keepers......aaarghh, I anticipate dozend more will follow :)

noooooo, spoons, we've recently had dozens of different spoons pass through the house...none are keepers......aaarghh, I anticipate dozend more will follow :)
Look at thrift stores for grandma style big spoons, those are great.

I really love the idea of those spoons... but they're 40 euros here in Europe. I just can't bring myself to pay 40 euros a piece for spoons as a homecook.

I am thinking of forging a high carbon spoon, large like a table spoon size, as mentioned in my post above, and hardening it so that the sharpened
edge will hold up for some time. Really a great shape for eviscerating pumpkin, mangoes, avocados..
Is there something like this commercially available??

I am thinking of forging a high carbon spoon, large like a table spoon size, as mentioned in my post above, and hardening it so that the sharpened
edge will hold up for some time. Really a great shape for eviscerating pumpkin, mangoes, avocados..
Is there something like this commercially available??
Murray Carter forged a spoon, sharpened and shaved with it.

Better than just leaving it out for the mother in law to use for her soup, I suppose.

For noobs like me who painstakingly measure out recipes by the standard Tbsp.,

I appreciate that the Gestura is 1 Tbsp exactly, and the Kunz is 2.5 tablespoons.

It saves me the trouble of digging through my knife drawer for the set of spoons-on-a-ring. Those aren’t ergonomic because getting them off the ring takes time, but leaving them on the ring takes washing. (Or maybe I’m missing something.)

For noobs like me who painstakingly measure out recipes by the standard Tbsp.,

I appreciate that the Gestura is 1 Tbsp exactly, and the Kunz is 2.5 tablespoons.

It saves me the trouble of digging through my knife drawer for the set of spoons-on-a-ring. Those aren’t ergonomic because getting them off the ring takes time, but leaving them on the ring takes washing. (Or maybe I’m missing something.)

The recent media blitz has had me eying those Gestura spoons.

They make good gifts. Went to a toddler’s birthday party last weekend and very nearly gave a gold one to the poor kid who was otherwise inundated with educational books. I mean, if I were 2, a gold spoon of my very own would be like the coolest object in my entire universe. But maybe that’s just me? I’ll let the grandpas comment.

I actually use these spoons for sorbet five different flavors with fresh berries have a small ice cream scoop I used at work makes very small scoops. I like to entertain & make meals for friends & family.

If anything needing small 5" spoon I pull these out for just the two of us.

Bought 3 spoons around 20 years ago at Hawaii collectors fair. Back when they had lots of good stuff. They were 15-20 dollars each. They were Charles M Robbins cut out sterling silver souvenir spoons.
Charles Robbins silversmith
1856-1929. Started company 1892 ran it for 18 years became wealthy he retired in 1910. The Hawaii & couple Yellowstone spoons are from very early 20th century. It started my silver spoon collection all early before 1925. New York city skyline. Brooklin Bridge etc. all from eBay. Anywhere from 10-35 dollars each. I added to my Robbins HI. Spoons. Gifted my spoon collection to my niece who lives here. Gave her couple nice Hawaii spoons. I kept only the Robbins spoons which she will get when I get really old or kick the bucket. My two niece will get my two Roth IRA's too.
These spoons are pretty rare most can't find anywhere in 5" size.
I got two Yellowstone Pinecones & Tree because they were really nice.
Rest are Honolulu spoons.
20240114_203330.jpg
20240114_204303.jpg
20240114_204336.jpg
20240114_204023.jpg
20240114_204139.jpg

So I caved and got the Gestura spoon. Parbaked was right on the money -- the bowl is useful, but the handle is too skinny for my liking (and I have small hands). The length is nice, as is the tumbled finish. Pricey. Definitely a "cook's spoon" as opposed to something ordinary. Overall I like but don't love it. Ruhlmans are still my favorite.
I agree the handle is a bit skinny but everything else is worth it.

Last edited:
I'm working on my love of the Gestura, but I find I like the aesthetics of it more than I find it useful.

My hands down, desert island, I'd readily do unspeakable things for them but thankfully don't have to are the Calder/Richcraft solid and perforated stainless stirring spoons, 10" (for day to day) and 13" (for making larger batches/using bigger pots).

They're a good size, comfortable to hold, indestructible, nicely finished, and the slant roux spoon type edge is perfect. And they're cheap, too.

I found my first one at an Ace Mart in Austin years ago, and I've since bought spares, just in case.

https://www.richcraftstainless.com/product-page/10-inch-stirring-spoon-4010

I'm working on my love of the Gestura, but I find I like the aesthetics of it more than I find it useful.

My hands down, desert island, I'd readily do unspeakable things for them but thankfully don't have to are the Calder/Richcraft solid and perforated stainless stirring spoons, 10" (for day to day) and 13" (for making larger batches/using bigger pots).

They're a good size, comfortable to hold, indestructible, nicely finished, and the slant roux spoon type edge is perfect. And they're cheap, too.

I found my first one at an Ace Mart in Austin years ago, and I've since bought spares, just in case.

https://www.richcraftstainless.com/product-page/10-inch-stirring-spoon-4010
Yes working in a professional kitchen they are very versatile and heavy duty for any job.

Back