Favorite sujihiki length?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
240 suji is a good multi use knife for prep, line, or butchery but a bit small when you need a slicer. 270 is similarly good all around, maybe slightly better for prep and slightly worse on most lines. For actual slicing tasks, steaks, roasts, etc. 270 will do the job especially if you’re good with it, but I say 300 is more comfortable and less hassle if you’ve got the space.

that said - it isn’t a steakhouse but I worked grill at a place with a lot of steaks, thick ribeyes and strips, tenderloins that needed very even and smooth slices, and quite long skirt steaks. It was in front of a big wood fire at a big wood butcher block and I got my Tou 300mm sakimaru sujihiki because obviously in that situation I needed to be using the swordiest possible knife. Quite awesome and slices better than anything else I’ve used. But I’d also use a 240, or a gyuto, or a chinese cleaver, or in a few cases a 150-180mm petty all through service — tall roasts in thin slices are one thing, but for steaks you just have to move a very sharp object at high speed.

What were you using the 210 suji for and what does it do that a 210 gyuto or long petty doesn't?

I only own one Suji, and it's 300mm. It's a great length because I can draw pull even a hefty fatty piece of fish in one clean cut, or a humongous tomato, mozzarella ball, etc etc. For me, the suji only comes out when I need to do a set of precise no-damage pull cuts. So longer is better.

I don't use it much at all for anything else.

What were you using the 210 suji for and what does it do that a 210 gyuto or long petty doesn't?

A line knife. Slicing things prior to plating. You can trim and portion with it too.

You can do pretty much anything with a gyuto that you can do with a suji/petty, but slicing is easier with something with less height.

The last years I´ve seen quite a few solid Chefs on different "TV-shows" use Misono UX10 Suji or similar as their all purpose knife. Always been fascinated by it, as they look like they´ve really mastered it. And I´ve tried to do it myself, but always lean on my Guytos and go back to them during prep. Only exception would be during service, where slicing meat and so on. I did get a 210 Kato Suji, bot do feel it is slightly too light to do anything but cleaning smaller pieces of protein and as a line knife. It´s more like a sharpe needle..

The last years I´ve seen quite a few solid Chefs on different "TV-shows" use Misono UX10 Suji or similar as their all purpose knife. Always been fascinated by it, as they look like they´ve really mastered it. And I´ve tried to do it myself, but always lean on my Guytos and go back to them during prep. Only exception would be during service, where slicing meat and so on. I did get a 210 Kato Suji, bot do feel it is slightly too light to do anything but cleaning smaller pieces of protein and as a line knife. It´s more like a sharpe needle..

At the end of day, it's just a sharpened piece if metal. I often interchange and use sujis and gyutos for the same tasks—I tend not to get pedantic with knife usage for expedience sake. Gyuto for slicing sashimi, or suji for breaking down kale, depends on what's handy in my kitchen.

I have 230, 240, 270 sujis BTW.

At the end of day, it's just a sharpened piece if metal. I often interchange and use sujis and gyutos for the same tasks—I tend not to get pedantic with knife usage for expedience sake. Gyuto for slicing sashimi, or suji for breaking down kale, depends on what's handy in my kitchen.

I have 230, 240, 270 sujis BTW.

Ever pull out your suji for mirepoix?

Back