Favourite Knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4wa1l

: )
Reaction score
Fairly simple idea behind this and figured we could see some cool knives and interesting discussion. I also tried to search and couldn't find a similar thread.

What is your favourite knife and why?

I was looking at a picture of my knives and found it really difficult to pick out a favourite. I understand that all knives have their purpose and I'm sure many here have a bunch of favourites, but what if you had to choose one ? I'm interested to see some cool knives and to read a little about what makes them special to you. Does it perform the best, have sentimental value, is it the newest knife you own or did you finally win the F5 lottery and snag your unicorn? etc...

I know that it's probably going to be hard to choose and that's why I created this thread. For those who post, let's try and keep it to one knife only to make it a bit of a challenge, especially for those with huge collections. Oh and make it a knife that you own. If you change your mind/get a new knife/whatever, post again another day.

I'll kick it off with my Masakage Koishi 165mm Nakiri. Originally I just thought the shape looked cool (still do ha) and at that time I already had two gyutos. When I first used it I found it really odd to use and actually wasn't super stoked, but it quickly grew on me to the point where it's my go to knife for most things I do. I know it's not suited for lots of things and it's probably not the absolute best performing knife I own, but it still sparks the most joy for me so that's why I'd choose this one as my favourite.

IMG_20201029_075021547~3.jpg

I am surprised that threads did not pop up as there have been many "If you could only have one (or three, or...)" threads over the years.

It would probably be a 3 sides coin flip between Xerxes (the previous Christmas American batches), a thinned Watanabe, and a Kip work pony, in no particular order. Going for great all arounders.

Fairly simple idea behind this and figured we could see some cool knives and interesting discussion. I also tried to search and couldn't find a similar thread.

Probably because there are too many stupid Americans on here who forget that there’s a u in favourite.

——

I would contribute here, but I’m too fickle to have a lasting favorite knife. I mean, mostly I use a Toyama nakiri and Kipp workpony right now, but that’s all gonna change in like a month, I imagine.

I was thinking it was more along the lines of your favourite within all the knives you own. The question doesn't necessarily have to be about "if you could only have one" (unless of course that's what appeals to you). Trying to choose a favourite was interesting to me. I found it made me think a bit more about what I like about my knives and maybe why I prefer one knife over another.

I also wanted to stimulate some knife discussion that wasn't too focused, and hopefully see a variety of cool knives. I also figured some unobtainium was bound to appear too :D.

Probably because there are too many stupid Americans on here who forget that there’s a u in favourite.
Aaaaaah I didn't even consider alternative spelling when I searched... :angiefavorite:

Reactions: ian
I also tried to search and couldn't find a similar thread.
As Ian said, they exist, but people don't always follow the rules anyway - "Here are my three favourite knives, and they're all different across five different scenarios" (lists 15 knives)

But more on-topic, my favourite knife is currently being shipped to me, as if I can't say that, then I have to say it's my Shun :cool:

The knife that used the most often as a home cook for two people is my 210mm Konosuke Fujiyama B#2 Gyuto. It is just handy, fits on my board easily and retains an edge forever. This knife came with great fit and finish and the mid-weight blade is quite stiff and feels really sturdy.

Attachments

• IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1030.JPG
    IMG_1030.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
A couple - I've got a Dalman/BB "seconds" 210 (from one of the posters here) and a Ryuzen Blazen Petty that Dave was selling from Stefan's collection that got too cheap for me to resist. They're in the country, just waiting for them to get to me.
Ooooh sounds like fine choices my friend, happy cutting 🔪

I keep wishing I had a better answer, but it's still my trusty CCK small stainless slicer. I was reminded of how much I appreciate it last night while making pasta, fried kale, and a chicken cutlet in about 20 min.

It can trim and chop the kale, smash and dice the garlic, scoop it up and leave it sitting on the blade until I'm ready for it, slice a lemon, chop the chicken cutlet into strips on a hard poly board, scoop and plate, and then sit on the cutting board still covered in garlic and lemon until I'm done eating.

My other knives are sexier and I prefer using them when I have the time to prep, but none I'd rather have while cooking. I wish it was less boring, but it's still my favorite.

I keep wishing I had a better answer, but it's still my trusty CCK small stainless slicer. I was reminded of how much I appreciate it last night while making pasta, fried kale, and a chicken cutlet in about 20 min.

It can trim and chop the kale, smash and dice the garlic, scoop it up and leave it sitting on the blade until I'm ready for it, slice a lemon, chop the chicken cutlet into strips on a hard poly board, scoop and plate, and then sit on the cutting board still covered in garlic and lemon until I'm done eating.

My other knives are sexier and I prefer using them when I have the time to prep, but none I'd rather have while cooking. I wish it was less boring, but it's still my favorite.

That's a great answer! It certainly makes me want to try a cleaver even if the basic ones are a bit "boring".

This was a difficult one. I have a few knives that I'm amazed about how good they perform and how much they surprised me. But the favorite at the moment, and it might be a honeymoon phase, has got to be the Dalman 270 yo-gyuto HSS1.

Part of the love is that I actually managed to buy the knife. (Maybe we should have a discussion about how knives are sold? ;)) Another reason for liking the knife is that the grind is really good. It's probably my best slicing knife. Above all this. There's something special with a knife of this size and weight.

IMG_2009.jpeg

Can I play? :)
I actually have few knives and none of my own. That’s bad. I should make more of my own for myself

anyway this is the favorite although I haven’t used it much. Because it’s thin, light and nimble

Attachments

• 7F1BF168-E35D-41F0-A296-53E17DE27BF4.jpeg
    7F1BF168-E35D-41F0-A296-53E17DE27BF4.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 82
I've found my favorite knives are the ones I'm comfortable using. Some of my fancier knives don't get as much use since I'm more nervous about damaging them or the work to keep them maintained. I really like this 8.5" A.G. Russell. It's stainless so I don't think it's as easier as carbon steel to maintain a razor sharp edge but it does stay really sharp with only regular honing.

image0 (2).jpeg

Near impossible for me to pick just one—really depends is my cooking context.

These are 2 knives I'd likely grab if the house were burning, with the parameters of knives that would get me through nearly anything being prepped—from big piles of greens; slicing steaks and sashimi; finesse work; etc.

230 Yanick suji and 225 Raquin gyuto, both beautifully crafted knives that are stalwarts in my kitchen. Love everything about these two—steel, profile, aesthetics, weight, handle, etc.

A07E10A1-C084-4302-B694-720EE9CA9C9A.jpeg

Back