Favourite Knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My current favorite knife is easy because I only have one knife at the moment.... Tsubaya branded Yoshikazu Tanaka aogami 1 240mm gyuto. This thing is an amazing blade though. At work today I had to cut up chicken for jambalaya that wasn’t as thawed out as I’d like... the edge is still crisp with no deformation. It sharpens like a dream, keeps an edge, and takes a beating. I ground out the concave bevels and added some convexivity and it just performs so well. Always impressed with how this one performs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 51
As Ian said, they exist, but people don't always follow the rules anyway - "Here are my three favourite knives, and they're all different across five different scenarios" (lists 15 knives)

But more on-topic, my favourite knife is currently being shipped to me, as if I can't say that, then I have to say it's my Shun :cool:

What did you get mate?

[EDIT - sorry I've seen you already fielded this q. Nice pickups! :))

Am enjoying some of the cleaver love here!

My own - a Leung Tim Sangdao #2. Both my most used knife, and one that has quite a nice handle I made from a bit of Sheoak burl (or 'nurl') sawed off from a bit of my friend's firewood as an experiment.

IMG_1712.jpg

The knife that used the most often as a home cook for two people is my 210mm Konosuke Fujiyama B#2 Gyuto. It is just handy, fits on my board easily and retains an edge forever. This knife came with great fit and finish and the mid-weight blade is quite stiff and feels really sturdy.

I touched up this knife today with a new stone, a Nubatama 6K Platinum and the edge is better than I can remember.

My favourite knife ever (picture from when it was new)...

Custom Heiji KU Nakiri 180 (thinner than usually, runs quite long, very flat, burned chestnut handle)

39754947bb.jpg

Compared about 12 Kurouchi Nakiris (incl. Shigefusa, Kato, Watanabe Pro etc.)... this one turned out to be the best one regarding profile, ergonomics, edge retention and food release.

Use it more often than any other knife...

Here is the grind..

39754984tc.jpg

Regards, Iggy

Last edited:
My favourite knife ever (picture from when it was new)...

Custom Heiji KU Nakiri 180 (thinner than usually, runs quite long, very flat, burned chestnut handle)

39754947bb.jpg

Compared about 12 Kurouchi Nakiris (incl. Shigefusa, Kato, Watanabe Pro etc.)... this one turned out to be the best one regarding profile, ergonomics, edge retention and food release.

Use it more often than any other knife...

Here is the grind..

39754984tc.jpg

Regards, Iggy

Wicked! The Heiji nakiri is definitely on my radar. Also your comparison post from a few years ago is epic!

This was a difficult one. I have a few knives that I'm amazed about how good they perform and how much they surprised me. But the favorite at the moment, and it might be a honeymoon phase, has got to be the Dalman 270 yo-gyuto HSS1.

Part of the love is that I actually managed to buy the knife. (Maybe we should have a discussion about how knives are sold? ;)) Another reason for liking the knife is that the grind is really good. It's probably my best slicing knife. Above all this. There's something special with a knife of this size and weight.

View attachment 100784

does the cat like the knife too?

Mostly because it’s really cool looking. It’s really swordy, so even people who know nothing about knives know it’s something different. It’s not good for anything but slicing meat, but that it does better than anything else. When I’m slicing meat in front of a roaring wood fire in a brick hearth, with iron grates and tongs, on a 5x10 foot butcher block, it looks and feels awesome. I’ve got a bunch of knives, many of them much more versatile and generally useful, but for sujihikis the competitors would be Hitohira Kikuchiyo, Shiro Kamo AS, Hinoura AS, Mazaki stainless, and Kurosaki Raijin. Also tried doing the line with a 300mm yanagi and that was pretty fun. Don’t know anything about any other Tou knives though.

Mostly because it’s really cool looking. It’s really swordy, so even people who know nothing about knives know it’s something different. It’s not good for anything but slicing meat, but that it does better than anything else. When I’m slicing meat in front of a roaring wood fire in a brick hearth, with iron grates and tongs, on a 5x10 foot butcher block, it looks and feels awesome. I’ve got a bunch of knives, many of them much more versatile and generally useful, but for sujihikis the competitors would be Hitohira Kikuchiyo, Shiro Kamo AS, Hinoura AS, Mazaki stainless, and Kurosaki Raijin. Also tried doing the line with a 300mm yanagi and that was pretty fun. Don’t know anything about any other Tou knives though.
Good to know. Thanks for the response

Favourite knife .... hmmmm. That’s tough for a person who considers every knife he owns as members of his family. The best I can do is the knife I reach for most often. It’s a Perfect Kitchen Knife made by Murray Carter. I bought it years ago for $225. Try do that now! Here’s a pic

8D987A5A-846B-4CD2-8F6E-2E3952B81BE6.jpeg

It’s a short knife, about 195mm. Blue steel, soft iron clad, very thin, sharpens up like a dream, hold an edge forever. Fully reactive so it needs constant care. Don’t even think about pumpkins or squash, cartilage or bones. I love the tip. Great for push cutting, but enough belly for rocking when necessary. Perfect for use in a small home kitchen. Probably not at all suitable for a commercial kitchen. I have lots of knives that serve other purposes but this knife is first off my block when I’m in a hurry to get things done. Not my favourite, but definitely my most used.

Back