Favourite tall gyutos!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but what are some of you guys' favourite tall gyutos? I'm talking anything 55mm and beyond, basically beasts for gyutos! I'm I've got a few on my wishlist like the Masashi Kobo 240mm SLD gyuto:
https://www.aframestokyo.com/masashi-wa-gyuto-semimirror-finish-240mm-sld-chef-kn240.html

Shinko Kurokumo R2 240mm Damascus gyuto by Shiro Kamo:
http://www.knivesandstones.com/shinko-kurokumo-r2-damascus-gyuto-240mm-by-shiro-kamo/

Watanabe 240mm: https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/watanabe-knives/products/copy-of-watanabe-gyuto-210mm

Syousin Suminagashi R2 Damascus Gyuto 240mm By Shiro Kamo: http://www.knivesandstones.com/syousin-suminagashi-r2-damascus-gyuto-240mm-by-shiro-kamo/

Aaron Wilburn makes some awesome knives with a tall heel, my favorite tall knives by a lot.

I'd avoid the Kurokumo and just go with the Suminagashi if you go for a Kamo (unless the handle is really important to you). The advertised rounded choil and spine hasn't happened at all, to the point it feels like it has an edge almost like an ice skate. It's worse than any other knife I've bought (over 20 other 240's) including my TF's. That said, I also really like Toyama, Takeda, and Watanabe who are pumping out taller knives. Ogata and Matsubara are also two that I've been curious about with some height in addition to a few US makers.

Toyama is a amazing workhorse. Takeda for a thinner blade. I’ve got a nearly new Takeda that is 65mm tall and it’s crazy tall. If you want a nearly new one, I might be willing to part with it, send me a PM

Can't go wrong with Watanabe/Toyama or Shiro Kamo. And a Kippington would be super cool as well.

I'll post more a detailed report in time but I just got my kippington custom recently at 259x56, it's the coolest thing building a knife out to your specs/desires and it def did not disappoint! Such good dialogue through the process and really very reasonable as far as custom work goes, which brings it into the conversation at hand

Kochi, Bryan, Toyama/Watanabe (these are on the blade heavy side - would profit from a heavier & longer custom handle).

I'd avoid the Kurokumo and just go with the Suminagashi if you go for a Kamo (unless the handle is really important to you). The advertised rounded choil and spine hasn't happened at all, to the point it feels like it has an edge almost like an ice skate. It's worse than any other knife I've bought (over 20 other 240's).

This is interesting. Your experience doesn't gel with mine at all.

My 270 Syousin Suminagashi has an eased spine and choil, which while not super comfortable, are less sharp than on many of my knives.

I bought a 240 Kurokumo as a gift. The spine and choil were very nicely rounded.

Did you reach out to the vendor?

Sorry to hear, it's not my experience either, my kurokumo is very nicely rounded.

I'd avoid the Kurokumo and just go with the Suminagashi if you go for a Kamo (unless the handle is really important to you). The advertised rounded choil and spine hasn't happened at all, to the point it feels like it has an edge almost like an ice skate. It's worse than any other knife I've bought (over 20 other 240's) including my TF's. That said, I also really like Toyama, Takeda, and Watanabe who are pumping out taller knives. Ogata and Matsubara are also two that I've been curious about with some height in addition to a few US makers.

My Tanaka 240 is 51 mm tall but way to thick behind the edge and I am still thinning it a little each time but my three 210 mm Tanakas are 49mm tall and thin behind the edge and I like them.

Takeda of course. My Martells are pretty tall, as are my Tanaka 270 and Toyama 270 — those are my only 270s though so I don’t know how they compare to other ones. Just ordered a Masahiro komagiri so I could try one of those; I don’t see many in a higher end bracket though unless you count Takeda gyuto as komagiri.

This is interesting. Your experience doesn't gel with mine at all.

My 270 Syousin Suminagashi has an eased spine and choil, which while not super comfortable, are less sharp than on many of my knives.

I bought a 240 Kurokumo as a gift. The spine and choil were very nicely rounded.

Did you reach out to the vendor?

Man, I wish that was the case for me as well. Yeah, I emailed them a couple times over a couple weeks inquiring if the rounding of the Kamo should compare to the Tanaka (ordered a Tanaka at the same time as the Kamo), but they won't respond to me. The Tanaka is lovely, but the Kamo is so uncomfortable I cannot use it until I work on it.

Man, I wish that was the case for me as well. Yeah, I emailed them a couple times over a couple weeks inquiring if the rounding of the Kamo should compare to the Tanaka (ordered a Tanaka at the same time as the Kamo), but they won't respond to me. The Tanaka is lovely, but the Kamo is so uncomfortable I cannot use it until I work on it.
Very sorry (and quite surprised) to hear thar it has worked out this way.

K&S 's website is still showing that James is away for the month of July,so either the website wasn't updated,or James is still MIA,or maybe after getting back,he is really very busy.

Back