Feed me! Where to go in Portland, ME?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So Mainers, where should I go to eat next week? Looking for restaurant recommendations in the Portland area. We've been up there many times and are pretty familiar with the popular spots. What's new? What's good but not well known? Casual is better since we'll have three kids in tow.

Thanks!

I always get a bowl of pho at Saigon every time im back in Portland. Go see salvage bbq, our resident kkfer brainsausage is the head chef there.

I really like honeypaw(asian fusion) and duck fat(glutenous yumminess) Bintliffs for corned beef hash. Otto for pizza (get the mashed potato one)

If you or your kids need a haircut, go to momentum barber shop. my best friend is the owner.

Besides Brainsausage at Salvage, tkern (Travis) is still heading up the kitchen at their sister place Local 188 (I think).

I am watching this thread, as I am heading to southern Maine soon. I will be stopping by to visit Evan at StrataPortland.

The children’s museum is awesome.

Yup, I'm still running Local 188. Come on by.

My favorite restaurant has been Izakaya minato.
Black Cow for hamburgers
Huongs for pho.
For the obligatory lobster roll, J's oyster.
Bearded lady's jewel box for cocktails.

I'll add Solo Italiano, Fore Street and Eventide. All are a bit on the nice but casual side.

Central Provisions is nice for lunch.

Plus one on all the other recs above (plus a few new ones mentioned by TK that I'll need to try)...particularly fond of Saigon and overdue for some more of that Salvage BBQ.

Everything mentioned plus N to Tail. Went there shortly after they opened and that Korean fried chicken Is about as addictive as it gets

Not sure I’ve had a bad meal in Portland in the 7-8 times that I’ve visited. This trip we ended up eating only at Duckfat and grabbing breakfast at Tandem on the way out of town. The rest of our meals were home cooking on the island.

I always stop by Standard Baking Co for their croissants.

The line was about 40 deep at Standard. And my love of Tandem’s coffee trumps my affection for Standard. I’d put some of Tandem’s roasts up against Blue Bottle, George Howell, and Intelligentsia any day.

Fair enough. I usually get there pretty early and the wait's not long and the pastries are still nice and warm.

Roasting coffee beans and baking create smells that stimulate. Bakery & Coffee places are smart to let those smells exit to the street.

Haven’t been there in a while, but the “Cajun Scramble” at Bayou Kitchen is my all-time favorite breakfast- crawfish, andouille, jalapenos and cheddar yumminess!

that place replaced the first restaurant i ever worked at! i havent been, but my friends tell me they didnt like it. they are just used to my authentic korean food i guess.
Interesting. I loved it, but it's not standard authentic. And while I like and respect authenticity, I fully support inauthenticity for the sake of creativity

I don’t make it out as much as I once did (I blame my little kids for a lot, including this) I found out there is an eventide in Fenway area of Boston. Gasp!!

Back