Feeling guilty using certain knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheflife15

Reaction score
Anyone feel guilty using certain knives? Have the fear that they will be worth crazy money day. I still regret selling my old Fuji after seeing the prices they go for nowadays.

I just picked up a hiromoto as that I've wanted for a long time ( always heard good things).

I shouldn't feel guilty using this right? Fileting fish with it, portioning beef. I mean knives are meant to be used right?

I mean im using it regardless :)

Curious to finally see what all this talks been about!

Anyone feel guilty using certain knives? Have the fear that they will be worth crazy money day. I still regret selling my old Fuji after seeing the prices they go for nowadays.

I just picked up a hiromoto as that I've wanted for a long time ( always heard good things).

I shouldn't feel guilty using this right? Fileting fish with it, portioning beef. I mean knives are meant to be used right?

Any cool knives you feel guilty about using, send them my way, I'll use them and send back to you, after that you won't feel bad. It is like a new car, first scratch or dent are the hardest...

They can be a little thicc
Im curious to see it now. I had a kohetsu AS which was supposedly similar but then I heard thats not actually true at all. Heard the kohetsu was thicker. Im looking for a solid middle weight and was hoping this would fit the bill.

Every knife I buy gets used! Would you buy a picture then cover it up and not look at it? Buy a car then not drive it? Get married then not .... ok too much information. I just think that to play my part in the life of a knife requires that I put it to use. To do less cheats the maker in my opinion.

Just my .02.

People relate not driving cars like not boinking your wife/gf.
I guess here not using knife, like not giving the Ol'in-out.

Only thing is that it dosnt matter if you have a zero mileage wife, you can't re-sell her for a substantial profit on your investment. Like you can with that low mileage Ferrari.

Knives ... who knows their value in 10-20-30 years.

i feel guilty for buying knives that are too elaborate finished so i can't really use them without damaging the finish, because i will never be able to get them back to factory finish.

i have simply stopped buying knives like this. no more fauxmascus 4 me...

I do feel guilty using 2 knives.

My Denka for one because I don’t think I can find another knife that will hold a candle to it. The cutting feel, sharpness, aggressiveness, grind, everything about it is perfect.

I've also obtained a Toyama honyaki that has been polished and finished by the polishing god Lee, I know once I've put it to work, I won't ever be able to maintain the finish on that knife as well :(

Never. I'm the embodiment of collectors' nightmares.

i feel guilty for buying knives that are too elaborate finished so i can't really use them without damaging the finish, because i will never be able to get them back to factory finish.

i have simply stopped buying knives like this. no more fauxmascus 4 me...

You can do anything. Nothing is impossible. Just buy anything you like and use enjoy! Develop character.

Use em, that’s what they’re for - I slipped and used the collection word the other day but it’s my toolkit, they are tools.

If a knife is really so awesome that you don’t want to use it now because in 15 years it’ll be done, buy three.

As for predicting which knives will become super valuable that aren’t too expensive to bring into a kitchen in the first place, i.e. collectors’ items from the start, who knows, that seems truly impossible. Might as well use em all — or use none at all I suppose!

I would only feel guilty if I used certain knives for tasks its not meant for; usuba for deboning chicken, yanagiba on something frozen etc.

I had that feeling with my Mazaki gyuto. It was so pristine, and the nashiji finish makes it hard to de-patina some parts of it without losing the finish.

Once it got a bit worn in it was fine. It looks like a working knife now.

Last edited:
If some legendary makers like Bob Kramer could make an affordable customized knife for me, I would probably put it on a shelf in my living room or my home office.

I feel guilty not using knives. Comes from being in kitchens almost 40 yrs.

Bought a batch of Tanaka's from MM couple years ago. Knocked off the handles because plastic collars, have quite a few handles from knives I rehandled & some Stefan gave me all with horn. Put some on the Tanaka's

Bought wooden saya from JCK when they have sales. Finish them with 50/50 mix of tung oil and clear bullseye shellac.

Sold them all couple months ago to culinary students at a big discount. Some had been used as pass around.

Some of Tanaka were too tall at heel for saya provided Victorinox plastic snap covers to protect edges.

Was surprised when two blue #2 KU carbon Tanaka were sold first before the Damascus & Nashiji stainless gyuto.

Because sold all these for 80-90 bucks some with treated wooden saya could have got more here, but would have to pay shipping & more important to me know they will be well used by students that know how to sharpen them.

Don't feel guilty—I buy knives to use—however, I'm much more careful with knives that've increased significantly in value. In my kitchen, if someone I don't know well wants to use a J-knife, I'll happily let them use my Masamoto HC or KS or Mazaki or Masahiros.

Don't feel guilty—I buy knives to use—however, I'm much more careful with knives that've increased significantly in value. In my kitchen, if someone I don't know well wants to use a J-knife, I'll happily let them use my Masamoto HC or KS or Mazaki or Masahiros.

They only get to choose Masahiro in my kitchen, unless they can prove they know how to use a knife, with the said Masahiro

DSC_4603.jpeg

As for feeling guilty ... I feel more guilty I don't use more of my knives ... At the end of the day someone spent a lot of time trying to MAKE a good knife and its difficult to see it not perform its intended function.

They only get to choose Masahiro in my kitchen, unless they can prove they know how to use a knife, with the said Masahiro

TBH, of my knives, there're probably only two knives I own that I'd be hesitant to loan out, even to trustworthy friends that know how to handle a good J-knife—that would be my Kato and Shig. Tho I'd happily let them use them in my kitchen.

I have three Masahiros, good, underrated, robust carbon knives!

Back