Fillet knife vs deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're cutting through shell or bone, double bevels have a more durable edge that can handle a fair bit of abuse. They're cleaverlike. I don't think they're very good for chicken unless you're going through bone (in which case, they're great). Single bevels are slightly better at removing filets because of the geometry, but I think the difference between a traditional deba and a western deba in this respect is often exaggerated. Technique matters more than bevel type for cleanly separating flesh from bone.

In my experience, sujis and yanagis are basically equally good at taking skin off a filet.

Deba knives good at fileting fish and cutting through bones, western Fileting knives also good at fileting fish but you can’t cut through bones with it, especially those flexible ones

Deba knives good at fileting fish and cutting through bones, western Fileting knives also good at fileting fish but you can’t cut through bones with it, especially those flexible ones
What do you mean? What bones can’t you cut through with flexible knives?

I can't do either one, but it seems (from what's been said on this thread and elsewhere) like whichever knife you have practice and prior success with is going to stay best for you, unless you do a lot of extra practice on the other one. Already knowing a method that gets the job done can be a pretty big disincentive to learning a new one.

Back