Finally- Stainless Nakiri passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be away for 2 weeks as well so send it off to our us friends.

I don't mind keeping the knife for 2 weeks more so parj and robin gets the chance to try the knife :D

Keep it longer so they can have a play....no particular hurry on this one.

I'm so effing jealous!

I'm not, heheheheheh.....

IMG_0249.jpg

Wanted to write this review from a very long time, finally i have some free time from work so it is time !!

Really wanted to try will's work from long time so i was very happy to try the knife.

F&F is excellent, handle is very comfortable, everything is rounded nicely and the knife looks very sexy :)
the only minor issue i noticed that the bevel is not looking straight in some areas.

very impressed with the steel, it will lose that shaving sharp edge fast but stays sharp almost forever !!
but a quick go on the 5k stone did bring back that super sharp edge very fast :)

and yes like every one else felt the knife is a bit short, i really enjoyed using the knife cutting chives and scallions but it was very limiting otherwise.
And i was not a fan of the tip beacuse i never rock chop anything " but that is just me"

Food Release was good but not wow like, i think i had a bit high expectations on that one ! i'm guessing the polished sides is to be blamed here !!

I really enjoyed using this knife and i would love to own one of will's Gyutos very soon as nikiris are not really my thing !!

Thank you so much :)

And the knife is leaving to ParJ today :knight:

The knife just arrived in Stockholm. Looking forward to try it out!

Knife was sent out to Robin today. Will get back with a little review later.

Ok. I'm almost done with the knife and it will go in my suitcase to the US on monday.
Who is next on the list?
I'm assuming Candlejack is out since he hasn't been active in the last couple of month.

Short summary (without too much peeking on the others); Takes a wicked edge (Par sharpened, not as polished as i wish, but he and i continously argue on this topic ;) ). No sticking on smaller stuff, but halving potatoes there is some. Some very slight wedging due to the thicker (and heavier) profile (compared to my other Nakiri) and i think thinner would be slightly better.... Beautiful F&F (as i expected from Will) and the high polish and KU looks very good together.

E.U.

U.S.A

Mrmnms
ChinaCats
Conthcipt
EdipisReks
Kalaeb
Cclin
Brainsausage
Jmadams13
Spike C
Zwiefel

Can

Lefty
Igasho
Notaskinnychef

Robin, thank you very much, will you take it with to the U.S and post to Mrmnms, Mike send Robin your address so he can get it ready.

Yepp, I'll just put it in my suitcase. I just hope TSA doesn't take it from me.... Going that direction there is lots of room, going back it's filled with cereal for the kids, clothes for the wife and the occasional knife for me :)

Got the addy by the way

Had a chance to use it just a little last night. Hard to describe, but some things just feel right. Like it has a sweet spot. Once you pick it up , you don't want to put it down. We'll give it so work this week, but so far, feels like an ideal knife for limited space or cramped quarters.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk now Free

Shipped today and must say it was a pleasure finally getting to use one of Will's knives.

Overall great little cutter, I hit the edge once on diamond loaded felt during the week and it held up very well. The release was good, but not great, a bit of wedging, but not bad for a thicker nakiri.

I've owned 2 nakiri's and both were a bit too short at ~165 so this one was also shorter than ideal (guessing my ideal nakiri would be 190-200). That said, it performed admirably, balance/feel was excellent. Most impressed with the kurouchi finish on this one and somewhat surprised that it is something that you don't offer. Better in my eyes than most that I've tried--not sure if this is exactly kurouchi or what, but again I really liked it. Only change I would make would be to have it be carbon.

There is a small hairline fracture in the ferrule, but looks like it can easily be fixed with a touch of glue.

Thanks so much for the opportunity with this one, makes me even more excited to have one of your gyuto's on the way!

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback, thats excellent. Yes I am tending to make them bigger now, the bevel was a little thinner and narrower on Eds follow up number. As I noticed some food does stick to the bevel sometimes on this one. And as you say a little wedge in hard food at the heel where the geometry is thicker.
All makes sense, thanks.

Could someone sort the above out, looks to be some sort of advertisement.

Nakiri showed up on fri.. But I wasn't here, so I got it today. It looks like a great looking cutter.

where is the nakiri at in the list now?

Looks like Crothcipt has it?

U.S.A

Conthcipt
EdipisReks
Kalaeb
Cclin
Brainsausage
Jmadams13
Spike C
Zwiefel

Can

Lefty
Igasho
Notaskinnychef

Yep I have it. I will be sending it off, looks like ER gets it next. Ty for posting the list, I have sent a knife off to the next (wrong) person because of the wrong list. Will post some pics prob. mon. or tues.

Er has dropped out of the passaround, I can't pm Kalaeb. Cclin if you send my your address I will get it out to you this week.

I will trust you guys to keep this going. I believe Concthcipt has had to do a little repair as the knife was damaged very slightly on the heel by a co-worker. From the pictures it looks like the previous sharpening jobs have been just on the micro bevel, making it more like a larger primary bevel. This knife should be sharpened on the flat bevels thus thinning at the same time, then the micro bevel re-established.
Would be great if the next person on the list could share some pictures here with us so my mind can be at rest that everything is in good condition or can be righted with a good honing session. All in all this pass around has been rather relaxed as this is not a commercial product, or at least not a current one, its just a piece I have enjoyed using and wanted to share. But if we could keep it moving a bit brisker, I am starting to miss it and do hope to get it back one day:D
Thanks All

Will I wanted to take some pics b4 I shipped if off. Here is what you posted in this thread http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...ss-mono-Nakiri-with-hollow-geometry-prototype .

IMGP2909.jpg

Here is a couple of pics of the chip.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

With Will's blessing (which I needed) he explained how he wanted it to be sharpened out. Here is a few pics after. I hope that I did what was needed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry for taking so long on my end of the leg, I really like to only have them for a week. It is a really great cutter and who ever gets to use it will be very glad they did.

sorry for dropping out, i'm just super busy. i'll try one of your knives someday, Will!

Back