Finally upgrading my knives!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahjushi

Reaction score
Hi KFF

Have been using Victorinox knives for the past 10+ years as an avid home cook. Decided to dip my toes into higher end Japanese knives with the addition of my first carbon steel knife last week: a Masakane 150mm petty. Since using it, all my Vitorinoxes feel like cutting with hammers in comparison. So now I'm looking to replace my most-used knives with something nicer. Looking forward to learning from all the experts here!

Welcome!
Do you sharpen your knives? That is a pretty much necessary step with good knives.

Thank you both!

I have not yet, but I'm willing to learn. Definitely looking to purchase some stones as well as I shop for knives. 99% of my cooking is done on carbon steel pans, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the maintenance, but sharpening will be new to me!

A good starter set would be something like a shapton glass 500 grit and pro 1000 grit. Of course you probably need a sink bridge and stone holder, but sharpening is key to happiness. No matter what you spend on a knife, if you don't keep it sharp it is crap.

Back