Finger guards, how do you sharpen knives with them?

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by dafox, Dec 3, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 3, 2018 #1

dafox

dafox

dafox

Getting ready to sharpen friends and families knives, how do you sharpen knives with finger guards?

2. Dec 4, 2018 #2

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

Forum Founder Professional Craftsman

[​IMG]

jonnachang and Vils like this.
  3. Dec 4, 2018 #3

slickmamba

slickmamba

slickmamba

4. Dec 4, 2018 #4

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

tell them to buy new knives

5. Dec 4, 2018 #5

dafox

dafox

dafox

Looks like the proper term is full bolster.

6. Dec 4, 2018 #6

mc2442

mc2442

mc2442

Still probably considered a novice sharpener....I only sharpen a knife with a bolster for good friends or family (and even then they know it is a stretch for me to "want" to do for them). I have flat out said no to many knives since people just assume you can get crap steel sharp so the scored! It is not just the PITA bolster that makes me tense up with the grinding noise against the side of the stone, but normally it is much softer steel than I prefer to sharpen.

7. Dec 4, 2018 #7

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Would you like a sippy cup with your tricycle wheels?

panda likes this.
  8. Dec 6, 2018 at 1:41 PM #8

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

Different approaches are possible. Cutting them off diagonally [​IMG]
    Thinning them to have it flush with the relief bevel

[​IMG]

Reduce its length so it doesn't touch the board[​IMG]

9. Dec 6, 2018 at 1:53 PM #9

IndoorOutdoorCook

IndoorOutdoorCook

IndoorOutdoorCook

Stay away from sharpening the last inch altogether.

10. Dec 6, 2018 at 3:42 PM #10

LucasFur

LucasFur

LucasFur

OP,

I can only speak from my experience.
    If they are newer Sabatiers (My moms) .. the blade will extend past the finger guard a few mirco-milli-meters .. but its enough to touch a stone for a few sharpening.
    if they are old Sabatiers (my grandmothers) and have been sharpened on whet stones (by my grandfather) and i see he uses a bench grinder to grind them down.
    if they are old Sabatiers (my in-laws) that have been sharpened in a Pull-though sharpener ... griding is out of the question ... you have to Cut them off ... i used a Dremel. (Steel cutting bit)

Benuser's picture does it justice, i cut them off a little more of an a aggressive angle (cutting less of the blade portion and more of the finger guard portion.) make sure you use the pumice stone bit to round off the edges before going to your stone to make it nice and smooth. I would say use some wet sand paper also to make it buttery. I always use sand paper when sharpening peoples knives ... I give it a quick shot to even out the scratches or remove the patina on the blade and give it a new look. You'll be surprised even stainless knives how they discolor. Just dont use sand paper on Shuns and such because you cant get the chromed mirror look back and cant etch the damascus the same even with ferric chloride.

Lastly, just make sure you see the damage that the knife has encountered and put the edge on that will match that. No use putting a super acute edge on if the person likes to hulk smash their knife into crab legs.

-Cheers
    L

11. Dec 6, 2018 at 3:42 PM #11

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

Good point.

12. Dec 8, 2018 at 11:52 AM #12

rick alen

rick alen

rick alen

The full bolster was originally a marketing ploy thought up around the turn of the last century, and actually a means to reduce costs. Initially I believed this was something related to the die-forging process, added to prevent warping of high heels. But Bernel has a blurb on their website saying actually trip hammer forging created a need for a blob of metal at the junction of blade and tang. This was originally ground away, so you don't find this feature in knives prior to the end of the 19th century. But as intimated some marketing guys (who should have been shot) got the great idea that the worse than useless big blob of metal gave a quality appearance, and obviously the idea has stuck for all these years.

Extending the curve of the belly makes it "easier" (relative term) to miss that last inch mentioned, but do you really want to turn a nice Sab profile into a German one? And I believe that is how the big-belly German profile evolved, to accommodate that pos metal blob in sharpening. Big hand cranked grinding wheel is probably how folks "effectively" dealt with it in olden days, and something along those lines is to be considered. Get rid of the FB or get rid of the knife, your 2 best choices.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 11:59 AM
  13. Dec 8, 2018 at 3:19 PM #13

dafox

dafox

dafox

All, thanks for your replies!
    I'm still looking for some how-to for sharpening friends and families knives with full bolsters, I wish they didnt have them but they do. I'm not going to go the grinder route.

14. Dec 8, 2018 at 3:31 PM #14

rick alen

rick alen

rick alen

You already have all the advice there is here. Perhaps open a new post on what cheap [and better] knives your relations should replace the current pretentious ones with if you feel you need more information.

15. Dec 8, 2018 at 4:59 PM #15

Sharpchef

Sharpchef

Sharpchef

[​IMG]

If you can`t do it like that, just use a steel to sharpen, and you may sharpen in some months like any other knife.... (with stones)....

As long as (and this will probably lasts for years in home use!) the edge dont reach the fingerguard....

greets Sebastian.