Fingers rubbed raw!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABranson

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend something to buy to protect fingers when sharpening knives. I find when I’m doing a lot of knives, I often end up rubbing my fingers raw especially on my coarser stones. Leather covers? Silicone? What do you guys use? Links appreciated! Thank you

cut-resistant gloves help me when this happens to me.

But the gloves have as a disadvantage the loss of feedback through the fingertips...

The better solution is to work on the technique. It only happens to me now when I become careless and sloppy with my technique...

I suffer from the same affliction haha. But I have lazy technique and am slightly mentally deficient. I’ll have to start wearing condoms on my fingers to keep them safe

Attachments

• IMG_1892.MOV
    4.5 MB
Can anyone recommend something to buy to protect fingers when sharpening knives. I find when I’m doing a lot of knives, I often end up rubbing my fingers raw especially on my coarser stones. Leather covers? Silicone? What do you guys use? Links appreciated! Thank you
I tried using latex gloves before but doesn't feel comfortable and the gloves will tear during the sharpening process because they are tucked between the whetstone and the cutting edge. place your finger over the primary edge or above (secondary edge), concentrate the pressure on your primary edge while Sharpening. This way your fingers won't touch the stone.

Maybe someone can explain it better than me

Last edited:
"This bleeding is inevitable."

Seriously though... change technique to not touch the stone... or use some form of glove....

I have to admit, my shapton 120 has gotten me before...

When I've mistakenly sharpened off my finger pads I've wrapped my fingers in cloth tape to get through the session, but it doesn't really work. Just have to wait for healing then take more care to keep the fingers on steel rather than stone.

Yea, work on technique. It can be tempting to have your fingers touching the stone a bit for feeback, but it’s not the best.

If you want to, you can wrap a bit of masking tape around your fingertips in the meantime.

Happens to me as well but basically only with sashimi knives. I got bass player sausage fingers not meant for fine work :LOL:

When I've mistakenly sharpened off my finger pads I've wrapped my fingers in cloth tape to get through the session, but it doesn't really work. Just have to wait for healing then take more care to keep the fingers on steel rather than stone.
cut-resistant gloves also allow sharpening with bloody fingertips that have been shaved off...don't ask me why I know... :cool:

Masking tape, just one layer. No loss of sensation or control, and you get to keep your skin. Tweaking your technique would also help prevent unintended consequences as would reducing the frequency and duration of your sessions, if possible...

2 in 1? Sharp blade and forced patina? Its a win-win :S

In all seriousness though, as others have suggested, work on your technique. Slow down and control your motions. This problem will go away.

Haha I remember when this used to happen to me. I still use fingers as a guide but have learned to just have my finger lightly brush across the stone without any downward pressure. I have changed techniques several times along the journey. I think that trying different techniques is important to find what works for you the best. Rubbing fingers is not the best way in my humble opinion. Don't give up. It's so satisfying when you get the right technique down and get that longer lasting sharpness. Enjoy the journey and best of luck.

I've seen people use jewelers finger condom things. Not grinding your fingers is the ultimate solution but those might help in the meantime

cut-resistant gloves help me when this happens to me.

But the gloves have as a disadvantage the loss of feedback through the fingertips...

The better solution is to work on the technique. It only happens to me now when I become careless and sloppy with my technique...
Yeah I second.

I've had this happen to me, but i was able to work on my technique to fix it.

😂 It is a KKF classic!

Interesting you put it in a spoiler box as well!!! I am glad. I hesitated... I wondered whether I was being overly sensitive. But your contribution makes me feel like it was the right instinct!!
I didn't at first then I saw your post, and got worried so I went back and edited mine, so I could add the spoiler.

If I hadn't seen yours i wouldn't have done the spoiler.

Back