finishing stone recommendation please 5-8k

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by crockerculinary, Sep 9, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Sep 9, 2019 #1

crockerculinary

crockerculinary

crockerculinary

hey folks. thanks in advance for any assistance.

so i am looking for a high grit finishing stone, in the 5-8k range, but have very little experience with them. i am satisfied with my sharpening, but am looking to get that screaming edge that i lack in my current regimen.

i am super happy with my current stones, all chosera- 400-800-3000, and for actual utility i have no issues. in the past i have felt no need to go higher, but recently i have been enjoying “chasing sharp” and would like to go higher, but the chosera 5k seems to get mixed reviews, is pretty expensive, and isnt that big of a step up from my 3k. there is also the 10k, but that just seems silly.

i guess i prefer splash and go, but i wouldn’t mind a soaker if thats the best choice.

so there we are. what would all you experienced sharpening wizards currently recommend i try?

thanks

2. Sep 9, 2019 #2

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

I havent personally used one but these seem to have a good reputation.
    https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/sharpening/products/morihei-hishiboshi-whetstone-6000-hi
    also splash and go

Really enjoyed the soaker Geshin 6k. Great feedback, creamy and fast.

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...ishi-fine-stones/products/gesshin-6000s-stone

at the moment I use a dirt cheap Rika 5k and Arashiyama. Theyre totally fine too.

You might want to consider jumping into Jnats. First Jnat purchase I made was an Oouchi from JKI
    https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/shiage-toishi-fine-stones/products/oouchi-large

As a Jnat noob I found them pretty easy to use.

3. Sep 10, 2019 #3

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

I recently bought the splash and go 6k from JKI. It’s one of my go-to’s now!

The kitayama 8k is my fav finisher though. Very different stones, but both really good.

4. Sep 10, 2019 #4

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Yeah, that splash and go leaves bright edge and pretty contrast and is harder but doesnt cut quite as fast. The soaker is all about sharpening the edge which is why I like it more. Totally depends what youre looking for in a stone.

Personally I have scuffed up ugly knives with thinning marks all over the place. I primarily like stones that feel good and cut fast and leave a great edge.

SeattleBen likes this.
  5. Sep 10, 2019 #5

Ivang

Ivang

Ivang

How about a snow white, i have the same chosera set up at home, and i used to have a snow white, it worked perfect after the chos. i dont go up that high, so i sold it a while ago. but if i were to buy a high grit synth, i would spring for that one or a kitayama/takenoko 8k

6. Sep 10, 2019 #6

AT5760

AT5760

AT5760

Rika. It’s so nice to use that I look for reasons to get that thing out of my toilet.

Carl Kotte likes this.
  7. Sep 10, 2019 #7

zizirex

zizirex

zizirex

labor of love likes this.
  8. Sep 10, 2019 #8

inferno

inferno

inferno

gokumyo 20k!!

lol just kidding.

the 6k hc glass is really nice imo.

9. Sep 10, 2019 #9

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Tell me more. :)

M1k3 likes this.
  10. Sep 10, 2019 #10

Alder26

Alder26

Alder26

I can't speak on the 6000 specifically, but the morihei 4000 stone is one of the best finishers for kitchen knives i've used, the feel of the stone is superb. If your looking for something high grit I would advise a Arashiyama 6k or one of the Morihei stones (JKI 6k maybe great too, although I have not used it personally). They'll feel very different than the choseras you have currently.

11. Sep 10, 2019 #11

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

I might have to buy morihei 3k,4k and 6k and test them all out.

CiderBear, Xenif and M1k3 like this.
  12. Sep 10, 2019 #12

Alder26

Alder26

Alder26

I can also vouch for the Morihei karasu 9k. It is a steal at the price for such a high grit stone. It also cuts very quickly and polishes nicely if your looking for the kasumi thing.

13. Sep 10, 2019 #13

crockerculinary

crockerculinary

crockerculinary

thank you for all the responses so far, lots of recommendations, not a lot of consensus! guess i have some research ahead.

14. Sep 10, 2019 #14
    If you want a finer edge than 3k and want to try something different, then consider getting some nice Suita. Ideally Ohira, but those cost arm and leg today as prices have exploded. Nice natural finishers for reasonable price keep popping up on BST regularly.

15. Sep 10, 2019 #15

zizirex

zizirex

zizirex

Hi, How is the edge toothiness or fineness? is it finer than Chosera 3k? it is kinda on my wishlist... because I love the 6K and 500
    9K is nice but it's very hard stone though, it cuts fast but feedback is a bit weird. It leaves a nice mirror polish and you could play with the slurry using Nagura or the slurry from the stone itself to develop different finishes.

16. Sep 10, 2019 #16

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

Well, that screaming edge might be different things for different people.

Do you strop?

17. Sep 10, 2019 #17

galvaude

galvaude

galvaude

I use almost the same stones as you but 1k instead of 800 and my favorite stone for when I want more than the NP 3k is the Naniwa Super Stone 5000. It is ridiculousy soft but I just use it with edge trailing strokes, it feels very nice for that. Beware is loads up like crazy for any grinding/ back and forth scrubbing but for actual apex finishing it is awesome after the NP 3k. IME it is quite finer than most 5k.

I follow you on instagram and we have a very similar technique with the edge leading strokes to deburr and all.... anyway the super stone 5000 is my go to for next level sharpness if I want more than the Pro 3000.

Hope this helps.

18. Sep 16, 2019 #18

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

The Naniwa 8k Junpaku 'Snow-white' quickly delivers a smooth edge with remarkable bite. You feel the burr remnants crumbling.

19. Sep 17, 2019 #19

Alder26

Alder26

Alder26

I would say that the morihei 4k is noticeably more refined than the 3k's i've used, but I can't speak to the chosera specifically. The 4k has spectacular bite to the finish!
    I would also agree about the feedback on the 9k being a little unusual , still a great finisher in my book!

zizirex and labor of love like this.
  20. Sep 17, 2019 #20

slickmamba

slickmamba

slickmamba

I'm on the kitayama 8k train, but have heard good things about the gesshin 6k and arashiyama 6k

21. Sep 17, 2019 #21

crockerculinary

crockerculinary

crockerculinary

thank you everybody. i am reading and following along, but dont have much bandwidth to respond properly. some good suggestions and much appreciated. im thinking maybe i just need to get a few or 6 different ones and see for myself.

M1k3, CiderBear and slickmamba like this.
  22. Sep 17, 2019 #22

zizirex

zizirex

zizirex

Nice, I would like to try it for my Honesuki finish edge... maybe it will cut, clean and debone through chicken leg much effortless

23. Sep 19, 2019 #23

Cbt

Cbt

Cbt

Please let us know your findings

24. Sep 20, 2019 #24

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

PalmRoyale

My recommendation is the Sigma Power Ceramic 6k, aka jinzo renge suita. It's hard, dense, very fast, has great feedback and the slurry is nice and creamy.

Draft saved Draft deleted