First 5 WA Handles

Discussion in 'Handiwork Display' started by ForeverLearning, Aug 24, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 11, 2019 #31

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Supporting Member

Awesome looking handles!

2. Dec 13, 2019 #32

Dhoff

Dhoff

Dhoff

I quite like the reddish one fourth from the left. As to what to do with them, either attempt to sell or give away if you feel like it. Would be a shame for them not to be used in my opinion.

3. Dec 17, 2019 #33

ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning

First day after the surgery. Got to making an Instagram page purely for handle/kitchen knives away from my personal account.

Www.instagtam.com/fellsidecustoms

I grew up in a small village surrounded by fells (hills) so I am really happy with the name.

Go give it a follow, I will update it with all new handles/kitchen knives. I will try and keep wips away from it and just keep it to finished products

M1k3 likes this.
  4. Jan 13, 2020 at 1:46 PM #34

ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning

Hi all, I am 4 weeks in to my post surgery recovery, cast is off and I have a moon-boot on. Hasn't stopped me getting stocked up on supplies for some handles.

IMG_20200101_005540.jpg

I have found a UK contact to stabilize some blanks for me as i've purchased some nice looking burls. I am weighing up doing it myself vs getting it done. It is £8/blank approximately and a initial setup is £330 all in. So am I going to use more than 40 stabilized handles or shall I just use the service and focus on the making of the handles themselves?

Anyways, very happy with the wood i've purchased, really like the look of fiddleback/flamed maple. Does anyone know some good colours it takes?

IMG_20200108_001847 (1).jpg

Caleb Cox likes this.
  5. Jan 13, 2020 at 4:17 PM #35

Caleb Cox

Caleb Cox

Caleb Cox

Stabilizing is fun and can easily produce enough for your own needs and excess that you can sell if you choose too. However, the expense is significant (don't cheap out on vacuum chamber, pump, or resin) and there is a learning curve (inadequate research can lead to ruined blocks, as I sadly experienced).

6. Jan 15, 2020 at 1:19 PM #36

ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning

So I looked on turn-tex help page about vacuum pumps and the key points I took from it were the following:

• Single stage is no problem (two stage pumps can achieve a greater vacuum but it is such a fine vacuum it is near impossible to actually achieve)
    • Budget level CFM is no problem but it will take longer
    • Go for Cactus Juice (re-use then die the juice when it starts to take a colour of a wood)

All in all I looked at Bacoeng kits on Amazon (UK), I could do it DIY for a saving of 10% but to start so I think I would just go for a kit as such a small saving isn't necessarily worth the time and the fit and finish will just be superior from a supplier.

All in I estimate £330

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020 at 1:47 PM
  7. Jan 15, 2020 at 2:48 PM #37

Caleb Cox

Caleb Cox

Caleb Cox

I initially got a vacuum chamber with polymer lid. While it was very thick, it developed spider cracks almost immediately, so I returned it and bought a unit with a glass lid that's held up great.

Draft saved Draft deleted