First Brissie Knife Nerd-Out

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
@madelinez and @Garner Harrison popped over for food, drinks, sharpening, and test cutting. Garner's bread is spectacular! :)
IMG_3435.JPG

Garner having a go at my KS on his JNS 6000:
IMG_3436.JPG

And polishing his Mazaki on my Okudo Shiro Suita:
IMG_3440.JPG

We did have quite a few knives to play around with. There was a rather large pile of very finely sliced and diced potato, carrot, and tomato on my cutting board. (I neglected to take a picture of the pile. Minestrone coming up :) )
IMG_3439.jpg

I feel like the first photo got me and Madelinez both at the wrong time, I just brushed my hair our of my face and he was halfway through blinking :LOL:

It was a great day out and would do again just so I can eat some more of that dip ;)

Yeah not the best photo of us :cool:

I'll be mass producing that Romesco dip as soon as I borrow my friend's food processor. Was fun meeting other Brisbane knife nerds.

Oh, BTW, Barton and Garner both walked away with a sample of my San Francisco sourdough starter.
upload_2020-1-26_19-44-30.png

Sourdough starters (well, hipster tamagotchis, really) are supposed to have a name. I named mine "The Blob".

I figured that good names for Barton's and Garner's descendant starters would be "Son of Blob" and "Blobson". I especially like "Blobson". Has a nice Swedish ring to it :)

The pictures look like a lot of fun!

Is that a Suehiro Akamonzen to the left of the Suita on the sink?

If it is one, how do you like the stone? In terms of speed, sharpness and dish resistance?

Its good to see that KKF isnt just about BST, Watanabyama, and flipperism
Definitely. GTGs take place all over. In the US there have been GTGs in California, Wisconsin and the mid-Atlantic area. And there have been others scattered around in Europe. They are a great way to meet other forum members and lay your hands on a lot of knives.

A global GTG would be interesting, but likely out of reach for many due to the time required and/ or the cost. The best shot is probably aligning one with one of the international knife shows, as some people would already be traveling there.

Not surprised to see Michi is a great host, looks like a good time.

This looks great. I'm into hi-fi and record collecting. We quite often have GTG'S to listen to other systems.

Would be interested in a Melbourne based one also.

Knife nerds, knife geeks, I think it's great! Glad you had a good time.

I just had a couple friends over to my house and I taught them how to sharpen knives with Japanese water stones, had a great time.

Holy sh1t! I was pretty sure @madelinez was a chick. Guess usernames can be deceiving :eek:

Last edited:
Wish there were something like this in Sydney too. Can someone host one? hahaha

Nice to see actual pictures of you people, although two of you are already recognizable from profile pics. I guess there are some nice things about a community in which appearance isn’t a factor, but it’s also nice to attach faces to names. My pic’s here, fyi.

Very true.... I, however, shall endeavour to remain as faceless as my avatar ;).... Lest google decided to review my data and create a more effective digital simulacra of me that becomes that 'better version of me' that I have struggling to strive for....o_O.... Or you know... just sell my data out to the highest bidder :cool:

I kid... my mamma did raise me to be more paranoid about privacy than I think is necessary.

.... still! A maths professor? Kudos sir! Maximum respect. Now I know when to look out for when you are being hyperbolic in your language and low-dimensional in your thinking :p

Reactions: ian
Its good to see that KKF isnt just about BST, Watanabyama, and flipperism

Where would a global KKF meet up take place ?

How about a KKF gettogether where members flip their knives at incredible speed and discuss nothing but Toyanabe?

Back