first carbon knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubsy

Reaction score
so for christmas i was asked what i wanted, so i thought about it, and realized ive never owned a carbon knife, and barely ever used one. so i narrowed it down to two brands.
a set of Sabatier's, or a set of Fujiwara's.
which one would you say is "better"? i like the thought of getting some Sab's just for the nastalgia, and i know their good knives, but at the same time im used to Japanese knives. im stuck between them.

Why a whole set?... especially if you've never even tried one before.

My least favorite carbon knives I've had were Fujiwara FKHs, but only because of the reactivity/smell/odor of the SK4 steel. Even with heavier patina, they still bothered me...yet others don't notice as much.

I would personally go with something like white#2 or Hiromoto AS, etc. Sorry if I derailed your original question, but thought it might help.

well, its not a complete set per se, just a paring, utility, slicer, and Chefs knife (might as well be). and i like having knives that look the same, i do alot of Demo's, and they'd probably stay at home alot. i just like uniformity.

If I were you, I would just get one to test out. If it turns out that you don't like carbon knives, you'll only have one knife one hand that you won't use, rather than four.

Carter KU, or Kono white 2. However, I'd personally get the Sab in my position.

Do what I did: get a Sab Nogent AND a Canadian.

...My least favorite carbon knives I've had were Fujiwara FKHs, but only because of the reactivity/smell/odor of the SK4 steel. Even with heavier patina, they still bothered me...yet others don't notice as much.

I would personally go with something like white#2 or Hiromoto AS, etc. Sorry if I derailed your original question, but thought it might help.
+1 esp. for the all purpose knives (paring/petty/gyuto) or veggie knives (nakiri). For a suji, it's fine. Kanemasa is the same way. Stinky...

The Fujiwara thing seems to be hit and miss. I have read about 50% more cases where the knife stinks up the kitchen than experiences like mine (my go to small petty for olives, etc). It must be a batch thing.

If I were you I'd get a Hiro AS or a Sakai Yusuke. They are both pretty good value and perform pretty well. If you decide you like them they are still good knives in their own right, or if you don't like them then you haven't spent so much and you could probably sell them here

alright, before i make any decisions, i have a question about steels. how is the french carbon steel compared to others? is it more reactive, does it take a good edge, hold it? is it hard to maintain? from what i've seen it doesnt seem to be overly reactive, i havent seen any completely rusted out Sabatier's.

The biggest difference is going to be hardness. The sabs are going to be much softer steel than the fujiwara.

From what I've read people who own Sabs, tend to love their Sabs, vintage ones at least. I love mine. I don't know how hard or soft it is, I just know it works and does what I want it to do. :)

-AJ

Back