First Japanese Carbon knife recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdvaliant

Reaction score

Philippines

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in? Santoku

Are you right or left handed? Right-handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Wa handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 165mm-180mm

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $100-$160 USD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home use

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Slicing and chopping vegetables, sometimes slicing meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing? I'm looking to replace my Zwilling 8" Chefs Knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? Push cut, Slicing, Rocking

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? I prefer simple finishes like migaki, kurouchi.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? A lighter knife than a typical Western Chef Knife

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Sharp ootb, smoother slicing on onions (I mostly cut onions, carrots), easy to sharpen

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? I think any edge retention is fine

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Yes, synthetic cutting board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes, but I'm still learning and practicing.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I've been browsing different sites and these are the knives I'm considering. I do prefer the more expensive ones but also thinking of the cheaper $100 range. Do you recommend getting the $100 range knife or should I just spend the extra? Thank you very much.

Wa handles $100+ range
Tanaka Blue 2 Stainless Clad Santoku 180mm Migaki Finish

Shinko Seilan Santoku 180mm KU Aogami Super by Shiro Kamo
Shinko Seilan (青岚) Santoku 180mm KU Aogami Super by Shiro Kamo

Masakage Mizu Santoku 165mm

$100 range
JCK Natures Blue Moon

Last edited:
Any particular reason you're looking at santokus instead of gyutos? You mention rocking and slicing; both benefit from more length, and most will still be significantly lighter than your average western chef knife.
Also, any particular reason you prefer carbon?
Since you mention doing carrots a lot, I'd say whatever you get should tick that box of 'proper thin behind the edge'.

Out of those listed

Kamo San is the oldest and most experienced blacksmith out of that bunch. His knife is ironclad, with an aogami super core, with excellent heat treatment. It will have better edge retention than the other knives list. It will also be more difficult to sharpen.

The Mizu is iron clad and forged by Ikeda San, the long time apprentice of Anryu San who excelled at aogami 2. I really like B2 as a core steel, it’s a great balance for edge retention and ease of sharpening.

Shigeki Tanaka’s knife is stainless clad, so it will be be a little easier to maintain than the two previous. That line of his is really nice, they are great no-thrills knives.

JKC is made in a medium sized factory, most likely rolled, but possibly stamped. It’s an OEM knife, sold by different names. They tend to be very consistent and are great value knives. I think they are a great way to start with Japanese knives, but I would go with the others if you have the extra cash.

Philippines

KNIFE TYPE

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Wa handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 165mm-180mm

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home use

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Slicing and chopping vegetables, sometimes slicing meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing? I'm looking to replace my Zwilling 8" Chefs Knife

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? I prefer simple finishes like migaki, kurouchi.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? A lighter knife than a typical Western Chef Knife

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Sharp ootb, smoother slicing on onions (I mostly cut onions, carrots), easy to sharpen

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? I think any edge retention is fine

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Yes, synthetic cutting board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes, but I'm still learning and practicing.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

I've been browsing different sites and these are the knives I'm considering. I do prefer the more expensive ones but also thinking of the cheaper $100 range. Do you recommend getting the $100 range knife or should I just spend the extra? Thank you very much.

Wa handles $100+ range

$100 range
JCK Natures Blue Moon
Do you consider Bunka ?
https://www.**************.com/hatsukoro1.html

Philippines

KNIFE TYPE

KNIFE USE

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Wa handles $100+ range

$100 range
JCK Natures Blue Moon
https://www.**************.com/moritaka6.html

Any particular reason you're looking at santokus instead of gyutos? You mention rocking and slicing; both benefit from more length, and most will still be significantly lighter than your average western chef knife.
Also, any particular reason you prefer carbon?
Since you mention doing carrots a lot, I'd say whatever you get should tick that box of 'proper thin behind the edge'.
Instead of a santoku you may have a look at a 180mm gyuto, provided it isn't too narrow. This one has a relatively low tip, and some belly. Very comfortable in forward slicing as in 'guillotine and glide'.
https://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=5073

My family have the JCK blue moon, she love it.

Shibata Aogami Super 170mm santoku. If you're not in a hurry, I believe it would take a little patience to find one. Light, good steel, really pleasant grinds, and a nice plain finish.

If you’re going to keep the knife for a long time and use it heavily, then the Kamo will be easier to thin and maintain the finish since it’s iron clad. It’ll also get you the full on carbon + iron experience (e.g. patina) if that’s what you’re after.

If you need low maintenance and tend to leave the knife dirty before cleaning up, then the Tanaka would be better.

I’d choose one of those two based on the four you listed.

Back