First Japanese knife for a problematic hand

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Spadazzo88, Jun 21, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jun 25, 2019 #61

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

I wouldn't overthink it too much. Just grab the 210 Kaeru, and you won't be disappointed. It's a good knife.

2. Jun 25, 2019 #62

Spadazzo88

Spadazzo88

Spadazzo88

Thanks for that.
    Next month when i’ll back from holiday i’ll Make the order. I have a week to think about XD.
    Anyway the Kareu is on the top of the list :)

3. Jul 20, 2019 #63

Spadazzo88

Spadazzo88

Spadazzo88

Just wanna say you thanks for the help. I founded a great deal on a yoshikane shirogami 2 withe steel with hammered iron clad. I know is not stainless but i didn’t resist to the look. I have oil for the maintenance so should not be a problem.

Thanks again for help

gstriftos, WPerry and Benuser like this.
  4. Jul 26, 2019 #64

Pila

Pila

Pila

In your situation, I would first abandon pinch grip completely as it is horrible. I was taught to use it but quckly went to propr grip (full hand over the handle) on my own. Thre are many reasons for that. Also, Yo (Western) handle will give you adidtional support. Grip the handle and you will have perfect control. Just do not admit that to any of the experts.

If this is your first and only Japanese knife, Shirogami is not a good choice plus it has bad edge retention. I would recommand starting with a sturdy 15 dps VG-10 knife with Yo handle. I just peeked at my favourite EU shop and excellent VG10 Gyuto Tsuchime Suminagashi I have and would recomand costs 121€.

You will need a sharpening solution, too. Any knife will get dull and then it is dangerous.

5. Jul 26, 2019 #65

Spadazzo88

Spadazzo88

Spadazzo88

Thanks for the reply. I already have two German knives and I sharpen them on whetstone. I have a 1k-2k-5k set from shapton. So shirogami will be much better anyway than my 55-56 hrc knives.
    For the pitch yes, I use a full grip because the pitch is not easy for me

Draft saved Draft deleted