First Japanese Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mchl

Reaction score
Hi. Iam planning to buy my first Japanese knife and I need some help.

US

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto
Are you right or left handed?
Right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese handle
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
It can be carbon but it has to be ss clad
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I want to keep it under 250 dollars but I can go up to 290

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Daily use mostly vegetables
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Tojiro dp
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
chopping no rocking
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
I want a thinner knife
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Doesn’t matter except I don’t like kuroichi
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I don’t want a western handle
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Less wedging
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Doesn’t matter

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
no
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I am not a big fan of sanjo tapering. I want a thin laser but not super thin.

Thanks in advance.

The Ikazuchi from JKI should be a perfect scratch for that itch. Fulfills all your wishes, Wa handle, SS clad AS steel, much thinner than Tojiro, not a KU and absolutely won't wedge. Just look at that choil shot. Ridiculously thin behind the edge. Under cuts your budget with a fair margin. Coming from JKI you know its's a quality product.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...uchi-210mm-stainless-clad-blue-super-wa-gyuto
I haven't used one and only because importing from US to EU is a pain, but this has been on my radar forever. Next time (when it's finally possible again) I'm in the US, one will have a reserved place in my bag.

Last edited:
The Ikazuchi from JKI should be a perfect scratch for that itch. Fulfills all your wishes, Wa handle, SS clad AS steel, much thinner than Tojiro, not a KU and absolutely won't wedge. Just look at that choil shot. Ridiculously thin behind the edge. Under cuts your budget with a fair margin. Coming from JKI you know its's a quality product.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...uchi-210mm-stainless-clad-blue-super-wa-gyuto
I considered Ikazuchi but it is out of stock.

Yeah, I missed that. Seems like most lasers that would fit are OOS.

Given your location it might be an option to stop by at Bernal Cutlery and see if they can help you with picking something that suits you although their stock of knives that fit your budget and your wants seems to be very limited at the moment.

I would go 2 ways, a lower cost knife with sharpening stone or a $250 knife with serious edge retention like SG2.

Since a good number of SG2 blades are also thin, that make it easier. Kobayashi SG2, Makoto Sakura, Kurosaki Senko are thin SG2 blades that in that price range.

if you want to learn to sharpen, then I suggest a Shirogami steel knife as it is easy to sharpen and needs it more often. Nothing comes to mind that fits the bill

Given your location it might be an option to stop by at Bernal Cutlery and see if they can help you with picking something that suits you although their stock of knives that fit your budget and your wants seems to be very limited at the moment.

plus 1

I'd highly recommend the Wakui (Stainless clad White#2) from epic edge. They're currently out of stock on the 210, but I firmly believe that this line is one of the best bang for buck Japanese knives out there.

Also welcome! Whereabouts in SF are you?

*oops, didnt see that you wanted a laser. The EE Wakui's are thin, but not lasers.

I'd highly recommend the Wakui (Stainless clad White#2) from epic edge. They're currently out of stock on the 210, but I firmly believe that this line is one of the best bang for buck Japanese knives out there.

Also welcome! Whereabouts in SF are you?

*oops, didnt see that you wanted a laser. The EE Wakui's are thin, but not lasers.
It doesn’t have to be a laser but it needs to be thin or medium thin.

I looked around and there seems to be almost a worldwide shortage of 210 gyutos. There's more of them OOS that I've seen before. Anything that came to mind that was even semi close fit is OOS. At least I didn't find many options from the usual suspects.

If you up the budget a bit this Shiro Kamo is a good candidate and fils all other requirements except price.
https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifebrands/shiro-kamo-3-series/shiro-kamo-kurai/kamo_gyuto_sg2-detailI have the K&S version. This is a bit thinner and lighter but with still a Superb convex grind which Kamo is pretty good at. Really nice R2 for long edge retention. Kamo has a tendency to make knives slightly oversized.

You said no Sanjo taper, but here you go anyway. Won't be thinner than the Tojiro, but the best in the business taper and well made grinds means it cut's more like one. At least from tip to about half way to the blade whre that taper matters. But the second half will have more food release. I'm a fan of the profile. In my top three knives easy.
Gyuto

CC will deduct vat 25% so They will be under 300$, but the shipment will push it over.

Tostadas Wakui suggestion is spot on, If you can find one. But another Sanjo taper-ist. A very good one though. Another personal top three knife. But then again I do reeally enjoy my Sanjo taper. 🤷‍♂️

Tostadas Wakui suggestion is spot on, If you can find one. But another Sanjo taper-ist. A very good one though. Another personal top three knife. But then again I do enjoy my Sanjo taper. 🤷‍♂️

The EE Wakui tapering is not nearly as much as other Sanjo knives, or even other Wakuis I've seen. My 240mm goes from 3.3mm at heel, 2.25mm midblade, 1mm at 1cm from tip

I have the Wakui 165mm santoku from EE, and it's in my top three knives right now. I bought it to try and nudge my GF into Japanese knives, but I find myself reaching for it constantly (and she still goes for the Wustof). This particular knife has a really nice height/weight combo, and I think it's a steal at ~$160 (with the 180mm version slightly more). I got a 210mm gyuto Y. Tanaka from OUL, expecting that to be my daily driver. I grab the Wakui 7 times out of 10.

I'd definitely not consider this a true laser, but it's plenty thin where it counts, and it's a joy to work with. Haven't tried it on the stones. But it's SS clad, and I've had no issues thus far with upkeep.

AI&OM has the Wakui gyuto at 210mm.

Anyway. My .02

Back