first knife: Fujiwara Denka?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trigger pulled . Red Pakka 210 Denka from Gaku. 213, 52 and 212 grams. Can’t see any overgrinds in the pics and Gaku assured me that there are none. F&F on the handle looks good.

Should ship tomorrow or Thur.

Excited
Did you ask for extra or standard lovin' on the spine and choil?

Nice measurements though.

Just waiting for the TF fan base to come for you

:popcorn2:
Bring it?
tenor (4).gif

Did you ask for extra or standard lovin' on the spine and choil?

Nice measurements though.

I didn’t mention Choil and spine refinement in my ask but did request that the handle and bolster F&F be refined from the pics I saw. Gagu said it was just a bad pic so we will see. I also asked for a thinner grind and told him I did not wish to be thinning this knife OOTB. Based on the spine dimensions he gave me, I’m hoping that this will be the case. The Choil shot he sent shows pretty thin behind the edge so I’m optimistic.

It shipped yesterday by EMS. Anyone want to start a lottery on days to arrive to Canada?

Not really. My 210 Yo Denka is 174g

The 210 Western Denka I had weight in at 201g.

TF specs can be all over the place. When I was purchasing my 210 Maborodhi direct, they had blades with heel heights ranging from 44 mm to 53 mm, I don’t think those could have been made by the same person.

Last edited:
Friends don't let friends buy TF's blind.
What about my blind friends?

And if the knives are so "magical", why do you have to communicate with them like you are working with a custom maker? For what is essentially an "off the shelf" knife. And it's still a gamble because pictures don't show 100% of defects. While hoping all corners and edges are just smooth enough to handle, much less smooth enough to not dig into your skin.

What about my blind friends?
Blind friends need even more assistance as they can't see the pics 🤔 😝

I see the communication an added and welcome benefit. The knife to knife variation is substantial and its good to get what you prefer be it grind, profile, weight or dimensions. The hunt is half the fun and I've not been disappointed with any of the 5 knives I bought direct.

Blind friends need even more assistance as they can't see the pics 🤔 😝

I see the communication an added and welcome benefit. The knife to knife variation is substantial and its good to get what you prefer be it grind, profile, weight or dimensions. The hunt is half the fun and I've not been disappointed with any of the 5 knives I bought direct.
:rolleyes:

So Gaku or Lord TF like playing 20 questions. Digital tag. Instead of a simple "What spec you want? Length, height and weight. I show you 5 picture. You buy."

:rolleyes:

So Gaku or Lord TF like playing 20 questions. Digital tag. Instead of a simple "What spec you want? Length, height and weight. I show you 5 picture. You buy."
Clearly not a TF aficionado. No worries. There are enough knifemakers out there to make everyone happy.

I started the conversation about a month ago and told Gaku what I wanted then. He sent me pics this week of the knife that was made for me and based on the pics and communication, I put the payment through. It’s almost a custom experience. Still not sure what I’m going to get until it’s in my hand but this is always the case when you buy online.

Short of a trip to Japan, buying on BST or finding a knife shop that has several to compare, you take your chances and hope you win the prize. As long as no overgrind, pretty much anything else can be fixed and I have lots of time. At this price, one hopes that the knife is really good to start so i‘ve started hoping.

Back