first knife: Fujiwara Denka?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no intention of folding over a burr 234594894285794 times trying to sharpen AS. I stick with white steel when I can.
TF AS is one of the easiest steels to sharpen in my collection. And I have W#1 (TF and Morihei), B#2 (Kato Ku) and mystery white (JNS Kato WH)

Don't let your friend have all the fun

Last edited:
180mm most probably. Duly noted on the small yo.

And yes it's for a friend lol. I have no intention of folding over a burr 234594894285794 times trying to sharpen AS. I stick with white steel when I can.
AS is still easier to deburr than stainless or semi-stainless. Especially when AS is at higher hardness. A little longer to create the burr though. But I didn't notice much difference between White and AS, some but not much.

Yes try to get a Denka with a USP eg red or Ebony wood Yo, Urushi Wa etc. That should ensure some desirability and keep the value buoyant.
I also agree get both and sell the one that doesn't gel. Wouldn't be hard to appreciate the Pros and Cons of each as they are so different.

@Corradobrit1 - Thanks again - quick question: I have ordered the Denka, and they don’t have red pakka wood (western handle only) but for Wa handles they have black and red urushi handles. Ebony is the other option, but is the most expensive option - don’t understand why ebony would be most expensive - as i think it may have less USP

that leaves - black or red Urishi as USP factors - thoughts?

@Corradobrit1 - Thanks again - quick question: I have ordered the Denka, and they don’t have red pakka wood (western handle only) but for Wa handles they have black and red urushi handles. Ebony is the other option, but is the most expensive option - don’t understand why ebony would be most expensive - as i think it may have less USP

Go with the least expensive handle option, then have a red Pakka wood handle made for your Denka.

The red pakkawood is only for the western. Urushi lacquer gets slippery but it's rare. Here's an unboxing video of the red urushi denka petty:

Very striking IMO. Personally though, I'd get the free ho/horn option and get a handle custom made.

Oh just in case, pakkawood isn't actually a wood, it's some weird resin-impregnated wood composite. It's very durable and wear resistant for knife scales, but if you're looking for USP, having a cheap durable composite wa handle isn't the way to go.

Last edited:
All very helpful stuff. I think that really helps my decision. This is my first Denka, KKF advice has been instrumental. I wonder how long it will take now. I will let Gaku know and wait for the parcel! Denka is Not my first knife, and hopefully not my last!

All very helpful stuff. I think that really helps my decision. This is my first Denka, KKF advice has been instrumental. I wonder how long it will take now. I will let Gaku know and wait for the parcel! Denka is Not my first knife, and hopefully not my last!

@RockyBasel out of curiosity, how much did Gaku quote you for shipping? He said 7000Y for DHL when I ordered a nashiji, I'm wondering if he takes more of that cost with a denka. Feel free to PM me if that's better for you. Thanks.

@RockyBasel out of curiosity, how much did Gaku quote you for shipping? He said 7000Y for DHL when I ordered a nashiji, I'm wondering if he takes more of that cost with a denka. Feel free to PM me if that's better for you. Thanks.

I recently ordered my Denka. same fee. He also said they'll cover if it exceeds.

what is the impact of an additional 55 or 60 or 70 euro on a 500-800 dollar knife? I mean even a difference of 20-40 dollar does not break the bank on that amount does it?

he is charging me 2,400 for shipping. I am in Switzerland so keep that in mind. Also, I am not sure if I got standard or expedited shipping. I remember expedited, but I am glad you asked this question, and I will make sure that I did

he is charging me 2,400 for shipping. I am in Switzerland so keep that in mind. Also, I am not sure if I got standard or expedited shipping. I remember expedited, but I am glad you asked this question, and I will make sure that I did
EMS to Switzerland I'm guessing. Lucky guy

Let’s see what type of shipping it arrives in. Do you know how long they take to make the Denka once you have paid? I mean typically how long from when I order to when they ship?

so my 2,400 got me the standard shipping which is 3-6 days. The other option is economy shipping which is free, but can take up to 13 days.

I did not explore DHL, which I still can I suppose as the knife has not shipped

Let’s see what type of shipping it arrives in. Do you know how long they take to make the Denka once you have paid? I mean typically how long from when I order to when they ship?
Most of the knives are in stock (or at least were pre-Covid) so I assume it will ship soon.

I ordered mine (paid) at August 26. He said they were in production. Then I contacted with him again two days ago. He said my knife will be ready around this weekend. I'm so excited. :)

I ordered mine (paid) at August 26. He said they were in production. Then I contacted with him again two days ago. He said my knife will be ready around this weekend. I'm so excited. :)
Interesting, he told me a knife just came out of production today and he will ship it next week. I asked him about ensuring high quality finish and he said he would personally supervise the finish process to ensure a high quality product- as per @lemeneid’s advice, he seems to know a thing or two about TF🙂 - I asked them to send me a pic before shipping

he said he would.

mysteries of Japanese knife sourcing, and I can’t wait to receive it.

Interesting, he told me a knife just came out of production today and he will ship it next week. I asked him about ensuring high quality finish and he said he would personally supervise the finish process to ensure a high quality product- as per @lemeneid’s advice, he seems to know a thing or two about TF🙂 - I asked them to send me a pic before shipping

he said he would.

mysteries of Japanese knife sourcing, and I can’t wait to receive it.
Ask for pics of both sides, choil and resting on the flat spot against a board. One pic is not enough to evaluate

Back