first knife: Fujiwara Denka?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rolleyes:

So Gaku or Lord TF like playing 20 questions. Digital tag. Instead of a simple "What spec you want? Length, height and weight. I show you 5 picture. You buy."

bruh, I can’t with the new avatar 🤣

The people who complain about wonky grinds on TF are basically the same people who praise western makers who have even more sh1t grinds on their knives.

Fact

no horse in this race here, but Playing devils avocado, pretty sure those western makers aren’t charging the same exorbitant prices as TF

no horse in this race here, but Playing devils avocado, pretty sure those western makers aren’t charging the same exorbitant prices as TF
Nope, those western makers are charging same or higher than TF.

Nope, those western makers are charging same or higher than TF.
Depends on which maker. I got a custom and you know what I had to do to it to make it usable? Nope, didn't have to send it out to a professional to make it usable. I just had to take it out of the box, wash off the oil and get to work. Yeah, it came sharpened also.

And I didn't have to play 20 questions. There was quite a bit of communicating, but, it was the maker sharing the process.

All I'm really saying is, TF is held up like some God and everyone else is inferior. Yet these new TF's generally need a lot of work, not always though.

TF makes knives with consistently good steel, not great f&f, and grinds with inconsistent quality, some good, many needing work. They are also somewhat expensive. Is there really anything else to say in this thread?

Sometimes I think all this talk about choosing things in person or going over pictures of 10 knives carefully from all angles just heightens the mystique, and makes more people interested in them, which is stupid.

TF makes knives with consistently good steel, not great f&f, and grinds with inconsistent quality, some good, many needing work. They are also somewhat expensive. Is there really anything else to say in this thread?

Sometimes I think all this talk about choosing things in person or going over pictures of 10 knives carefully from all angles just heightens the mystique, and makes more people interested in them, which is stupid.

I totally agree. I think it's a little like gambling. Worst case scenario you get a knife that you will have to shave several mm off of to fix over grinds, straighten a blade at both the spine and edge, thin, reprofile, and re handle. Best case scenario you get the knife you were hoping for. In the back of your head your thinking "maybe if I'm really careful and ask all the right questions I'll get a good one", and then your roll the dice.

I have been burned buying TF knives more than I have had success, but every once in a while I get the itch.....And then usually I spend 15-20 hours fixing the knife when I could have bought a Mazaki, Watanabe, etc. for less money and just had a usable knife out of the box.

I totally agree. I think it's a little like gambling. Worst case scenario you get a knife that you will have to shave several mm off of to fix over grinds, straighten a blade at both the spine and edge, thin, reprofile, and re handle. Best case scenario you get the knife you were hoping for. In the back of your head your thinking "maybe if I'm really careful and ask all the right questions I'll get a good one", and then your roll the dice.

I have been burned buying TF knives more than I have had success, but every once in a while I get the itch.....And then usually I spend 15-20 hours fixing the knife when I could have bought a Mazaki, Watanabe, etc. for less money and just had a usable knife out of the box.

👏👏👏👏

Laminated blades warp easily it seems. Easier on knives from certain makers than others. Buyers - have your hammers ready!

Nashiji, Mabawhata or Denka prices? What length? Because the 240mm+ ones are "extra $$$pecial"
TF charges based on what it costs him to make stuff, right or wrong.
  1. Anything over 210 takes a lot more time for them. Maybe he uses child labor with short arms??
  2. The pre-laminated Nashiji knives are easy to make so they're cheap.
  3. The Mabawhatas cost more than Nashiji because laminating the stainless clad billets is a pain.
  4. Denka cost even more because welding up the AS billets and forging to shape, grinding, tapering the tang and sharpening are all even more difficult.
  5. He can sell iron clad knives to Morihei cheap because those are relatively easy to forge, grind and sharpen.
  6. They'll polish your choil for you if you ask nice...
It's not a scam or conspiracy...it's just they way they value their time.

Last edited:
  1. Anything over 210 takes a lot more time for them. Maybe he uses child labor with short arms??
  3. The Mabawhatas cost more than Nashiji because laminating the stainless clad billets is a pain.
  4. Denka cost even more because welding up the AS billets and forging to shape, grinding, tapering the tang and sharpening are all even more difficult.
  5. He can sell iron clad knives to Morihei cheap because those are relatively easy to forge, grinding sharpen.
Thank you.

Personally I have no issues with 20 questions if the person is amiable and passionate about their product. We only hear about the bad knives and those are generally from a couple plus years ago (knife nerds have long memories). Has anyone received a lemon in the last 12 months direct after dropping their 20 ?'s?

Maybe he uses child labor with short arms??
1601517866406.png

Would you say there's a premium on that time though? That a stainless clad TF Denka costs more than a Tsukasa Hinoura knife (non River Jump) with similar specs?

5. He can sell iron clad knives to Morihei cheap because those are relatively easy to forge, grinding sharpen.
This answers the question I had how? Just asking for a price point to answer his question and you get all defensive. 🤷‍♂️ :upsidedownspin:

So you are paying extra for TFs with overgrind because that is extra labor costs.

Then you pay even more to have a professional sharpener help you perfect the TF you just bought. LOL

Would you say there's a premium on that time though? That a stainless clad TF Denka costs more than a Tsukasa Hinoura knife (non River Jump) with similar specs?
Apparently so. Hinoura also isn't a gamble in the f&f, overgrind, straight spine and 20 question shuffle.

This answers the question I had how? Just asking for a price point to answer his question and you get all defensive. 🤷‍♂️ :upsidedownspin:
Not defensive, just trying to explain why TF charges what he charges and why the 240 cost more.
Not sure if this answers the question...
Name one other knife that sells for the price of tf that people constantly have to put HOURS of work into to bring out its full potential.
Most of TF customer's don't because whatever knife they bought from TF exceed their expectations.
It's the small minority that worry about the details of the knife they buy as long as it works better than what hey had.

Takeda NAS got a similar bad rap but also have a lot of customers that like those knives.

Last edited:
Back